The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Dundee accommodation

Hello everyone :smile:

I got a conditional offer at the university of dundee however, I put it as my insurance. I would like to know if there is any way to stay in the dorms even though I can't apply for accommodation because its my insurance. The pb, is I am from Belgium and it would make thing a lot easier for me if I could stay in dorms the first year. Do you think I still have a chance since I am an international student? or should I start looking for flats? And if you had to pick between Aberdeen university or Dundee which one would you go for?

Thanks hope to hear from you soon :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by yvanhoecke
Hello everyone :smile:

I got a conditional offer at the university of dundee however, I put it as my insurance. I would like to know if there is any way to stay in the dorms even though I can't apply for accommodation because its my insurance. The pb, is I am from Belgium and it would make thing a lot easier for me if I could stay in dorms the first year. Do you think I still have a chance since I am an international student? or should I start looking for flats? And if you had to pick between Aberdeen university or Dundee which one would you go for?

Thanks hope to hear from you soon :smile:

There is a private student residence called "The Hub", you could try this.
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
There's a chance you would be able to get accommodation, yeh. It's just not guaranteed. But if not, there's still other private halls. You could try The Hub, Opal 1, The Old Mill, Courthouse Apartments or Keiller Court. I've heard a decent amount of first years stay in some of those halls anyway.

And I don't know too much about Aberdeen, but I've heard nothing but good things about Dundee from people who have studied there. And it just got named the best Uni in the UK for student experience, if that helps? :awesome: I think generally people don't seem to think one is far better than the other. I think it comes down to personal opinion.
Reply 3
I was just having a look at accommodation for Dundee when I came across this post. As you have said, since your reply is an insurance, you probably will not get into the main halls. Looking for a flat is probably your best option. However, you may get a place in the halls, but that will be closer to when uni starts. About the Dundee and Aberdeen situation, definitely choose Dundee. As mentioned, it was picked the best uni for student experience just recently. I am also from Belgium (even though I have lived in Scotland for nearly ten years) and going to Aberdeen will feel like going to the middle of nowhere... Especially for someone coming from Belgium as it is quite a dense country in terms of population. Also Dundee is much closer to the central belt, aka Glasgow and Edinburgh. So overall a better option.
I am guessing Aberdeen is your firm choice??
If I was in your position, I would contact Dundee to see if there is anyway of getting into the halls. But only do this if you are 100% sure that you are going with Dundee. I would do this ASAP. Before there is nothing left.

Hope this helps, good luck and hopefully will see you in Dundee at the beginning of September.

Ps.
Useful links: http://www.dundee.ac.uk/accommodation/contactus/
Reply 4
thanks everyone for your answers very helpful :smile: and hello alex, nice meeting you :smile: yup aberdeen in my firm and dundee is my insurance. As the exams are approaching,I am realizing that I am not sure I can make it with the offers made by aberdeen university, so it seems like I am heading to dundee :smile: hope i will like it, unless so miracle happens the day of the exam :tongue: haha
Reply 5
Hello everyone :smile: Does anyone know how the hub is at Dundee? Is it better than the university accommodations? Hope to hear from you soon :smile:
Reply 6
my boyfriend stayed at the hub last year for his masters. great location right by the uni with shops near by.

They are basically exactly the same as your typical uni accomodation, some people said it is better than some of the dundee accomodation but that is mainly the older buildings i reckon.

The hub website has great videos/gallery and it is pretty realistic for what you get!
Reply 7
looking for a flat in dundee,what prices am looking at realistically starting this Sept?
Reply 8
hey guys, trying to decide between staying in the dundee uni halls (Seabraes) or the hub, can anyone give any insight into what each of these are like ? kind of worried in case the hub might not have many 1st year students but any advice/info on either would be great :smile:
Original post by e.wallace
hey guys, trying to decide between staying in the dundee uni halls (Seabraes) or the hub, can anyone give any insight into what each of these are like ? kind of worried in case the hub might not have many 1st year students but any advice/info on either would be great :smile:

Hey! I was in the same position as you a few weeks ago, so i decided to go and see them both!
Seabraes was horrible, the flat was really unclean and dull. The flats themselves weren't welcoming either, i quite honestly felt like i could have been walking into a prison!4
The Hub on the other hand was really nice and everything is modern, clean and welcoming. The Kitchen is much more practical and the bedroom space has been used really well!

I was worried about the Hub not having many first years aswell, but on my application i just wrote that if possible i would like to live with first years, and its not that far away from the University and the Union so i decided that living a little bit away from most people in my year was worth it if it meant i would be happy in my flat (:
Reply 10
Thank you so much for letting me know, had heard seabraes was horrible so pretty glad now I've accepted the hub as my accommodation based on what you've said and what I've read elsewhere so looking forward to it now. Yea, I was thinking the same thing as well so figured I may as well pick the better accommodation. Have you received an offer from the hub then ?
Yeah i have :smile: im in flat A04.1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending