The Student Room Group

Why don't women lift?

Scroll to see replies

Because that body type that you are suggesting is not natural for us.

Males find building muscle more easier, whilst girls naturally have a higher level of body fat. Hence why they tend to be 'soft'. That's not skinny fat, it's feminine.

I entirely disagree tbh, I like being slim, fit and healthy but in no way do I like the idea of being as lean as a man.
Original post by EffieFlowers
Because that body type that you are suggesting is not natural for us.

Males find building muscle more easier, whilst girls naturally have a higher level of body fat. Hence why they tend to be 'soft'. That's not skinny fat, it's feminine.

I entirely disagree tbh, I like being slim, fit and healthy but in no way do I like the idea of being as lean as a man.

Define natural? No one is suggesting that weight lifting = injecting steroids, or similar. Women in decades gone by probably had far more muscle than you do, because household chores had to be done manually, and putting your pants in a washing machine is no equivalent to scrubbing them on a board and then putting them through a wringer. So the current trend of being skinnyfat is just as 'natural' as being lean and muscular.

As you've said yourself, it's hard for women to build muscle. Therefore lifting isn't going to make you 'lean like a man'.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Define natural? No one is suggesting that weight lifting = injecting steroids, or similar. Women in decades gone by probably had far more muscle than you do, because household chores had to be done manually, and putting your pants in a washing machine is no equivalent to scrubbing them on a board and then putting them through a wringer. So the current trend of being skinnyfat is just as 'natural' as being lean and muscular.

As you've said yourself, it's hard for women to build muscle. Therefore lifting isn't going to make you 'lean like a man'.

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately people think that having a tiny bit of definition = looking like a man which is soo not true.

For example someone like this looks to manly for some people on here (which I can't understand why)

ciara-picture-4-600px.jpg Ciara+Suits+Jumpsuit+Yp0RLdt8UcUl.jpg
Original post by Chrisateen
I totally agree with you. Unfortunately people think that having a tiny bit of definition = looking like a man which is soo not true.

For example someone like this looks to manly for some people on here (which I can't understand why)

ciara-picture-4-600px.jpg Ciara+Suits+Jumpsuit+Yp0RLdt8UcUl.jpg

Exactly!

I tend to look at the girls who lift competitively. If you can train for the Olympics and look like that, I don't see how any girl just doing the odd bit in a gym is going to get bulky or masculine...

ImpwZyJ9.jpg
Zoe+Smith+19th+Commonwealth+Games+Day+3+Weightlifting+vI_t5hcb3EOl.jpg
article-1333625532689-0F2C9A4E00000578-244024_636x458.jpg
Original post by angelbones
Yeah. I'd like to try and persuade a friend to come with me.

And to the poster above who talked about gym culture, spot on. It is really intimidating to go into the weights area of a gym - and women-only gyms often don't have the right equipment.

Spoiler

^ Can't get a body like that without lifting :ahee:

She has a great body. :smile:

I have only recently started to take lifting more seriously after doing a lot of reading about it.

The big thing that puts me off is walking into the weights room full of men. It's intimidating. I usually time my gym visits now and get there early in the morning when there's one or two others there instead.
Exactly!

I tend to look at the girls who lift competitively. If you can train for the Olympics and look like that, I don't see how any girl just doing the odd bit in a gym is going to get bulky or masculine...

ImpwZyJ9.jpg
Zoe+Smith+19th+Commonwealth+Games+Day+3+Weightlifting+vI_t5hcb3EOl.jpg
article-1333625532689-0F2C9A4E00000578-244024_636x458.jpg

Totally agree but unfortunately being skinny fat seems to be the trend at the moment and as a result we are not going to be seeing much women lifting heavy
Original post by BKS
Lack of relevant education. I swear PE in schools should include this sort of thing. It's more useful to know what to do to improve your body image healthily than it is to know the rules of hockey
s

there is so much truth in this I could weep.

Strength resulting from hard work is different to muscle build as a result of weight lifting. Women who worked hard domestically looked a hell of a lot different to the ones posted below your reply to my previousl post.

I just don't understand, why weight lift? Why not just focus on being fit and healthy? It seems so vain, and that goes for both sexes. I don't see the benefit.

And im genuinely asking, not making a point.
At the dojo I do karate in, the women join in with the men doing weights- sure, they don't lift as much as the big guys (although they might well lift more than me sometimes :p: I'm still kinda skinny) but they do workouts that are just as long and tough for them at their own personal level, just as the guys like me who are slightly lighter do tough ones for our level. Women who are serious about being strong enough to protect themselves will lift, simples.
Strength resulting from hard work is different to muscle build as a result of weight lifting. Women who worked hard domestically looked a hell of a lot different to the ones posted below your reply to my previousl post.

I just don't understand, why weight lift? Why not just focus on being fit and healthy? It seems so vain, and that goes for both sexes. I don't see the benefit.

As a basic example, most women at some point need to pick up a child, which for example is 20kg (a slightly chubby 5yo). The action of reaching down and picking up a standing/laying child is roughly the same as deadlifting a barbell. In both you have to consider your back and try to use your legs instead. If you can deadlift, you're never going to be struggling to pick up your kid or injuring yourself whilst doing so. A squat is roughly equivalent to crouching down whilst still holding that kid, and being able to stand back up again. An overhead press is like putting a suitcase into a plane locker. They may look unnatural with a barbell, but they're natural movements that you use regularly. People do cardio perhaps not to run a marathon, but so they can run for the bus without getting out of breath. How is lifting a heavy weight any different - you're improving your ability to do everyday things more easily.

As for 'focusing on being fit and healthy'... strength is a form of fitness. If you have more muscle you're less likely to be carrying fat. I've done cardio for years, from competitive track athletics as a teenager to road races at 18 or so and all manner of pilates, ballet, 'fitness' classes... And I've never dropped fat and toned up so quickly as I have since I started lifting just over two months ago. I'm not bulky, I have a waist for the first time I can remember, and I like the challenge, of testing how far I can push my body. And it's not an isolated improvement in strength alone - I ran a 10k recently on very little training and ran it faster than I did at 18/19 when I was running regularly.

I'm not sure about your vain comment. Agreed when it comes to bodybuilding/fitness modelling/etc, but the average girl who lifts isn't going to be like that at all. It's fairly well established that people want to look good, either for themselves or for others, and you could argue that anything that leads to something being fitter is 'vain', cos they're trying to improve their body. Most people live sedentary lifestyles, so just eating good stuff and going for the odd walk isn't going to make them fit - some form of actual exercise is inevitably needed. No-one's saying that people should only lift and ignore all other kinds of exercise. But equally there's no reason why most people couldn't incorporate some weight lifting, or at least some kind of resistance work, into their workouts.
Reply 110

Weight lifting can't be hard work?

Fit and healthy? I really don't think you know much about lifting weights if you think that 'just' being 'fit and healthy' doesn't encompass weight training. One of the great things about it is that can improve/preserve bone density, which is particularly important for (menopausal) females who suffer from osteoporosis more than their male counterparts. There's plenty of other health benefits to it as well, if you could be bothered to look.

Seriously, what seems vain about picking up a weight and putting it back down again :confused:
Original post by JongKey
Clueless? I can tell that she's put work in but i don't want to look like that - are you now going to tell me what to look like? I don't prefer the masculine look, sorry for having a preference.

One thing is for sure, women great overestimate their ability to do things.

She worked hard and did stuff you dont even know the names of so tell me, how are you going to get her body or anywhere near it?

I've taught a few women how to lift properly and they look fantastic but nothing like the women posted.

Have you ever stopped and thought about why these women are in edited pictures? They're the exception, not the norm. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seems like you're satisfied and content with being distinctly average.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Seems like you're satisfied and content with being distinctly average.

OH DAMNNNN

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 114
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
One thing is for sure, women great overestimate their ability to do things.

She worked hard and did stuff you dont even know the names of so tell me, how are you going to get her body or anywhere near it?

I've taught a few women how to lift properly and they look fantastic but nothing like the women posted.

Have you ever stopped and thought about why these women are in edited pictures? They're the exception, not the norm. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The OP shouldn't have posted pictures of the exception. If the goal was to attract women with no idea about lifting to the thread and prove to them that you can look desirable while lifting, they should have picked a slightly less extreme example. Most women do not see that woman as desirable. You can hardly have a go at the people who have no idea about it posting in here in response.

It is vain, if wanting to look good is vain.

But then, if wanting to look good is vain, then I'm gonna assume you're either also vain, or you never ever ever do your hair, wear make up, wear jewellery, spend time and money on clothes and outfits, etc etc etc.
Reply 116
Original post by Ronove
The OP shouldn't have posted pictures of the exception. If the goal was to attract women with no idea about lifting to the thread and prove to them that you can look desirable while lifting, they should have picked a slightly less extreme example. Most women do not see that woman as desirable. You can hardly have a go at the people who have no idea about it posting in here in response.

They are plenty of examples of lean women out there I could've used as an example, but it would've made little difference. People (girls in particular) are always going to pick faults in these kinds of situations because they're bitchy, jealous and bitter about being skinny fat. U mad?
Reply 117
Original post by Dark Horse
They are plenty of examples of lean women out there I could've used as an example, but it would've made little difference. People (girls in particular) are always going to pick faults in these kinds of situations because they're bitchy, jealous and bitter about being skinny fat. U mad?

:lolwut: Why would I be mad? Don't start making yourself look like an idiot by trolling.

Girls aren't bitter about being skinny fat, they generally think that's the ideal. They don't lift because the idea to do so would never occur to them. It's not something they just can't be bothered to do.
Reply 118
Original post by Ronove
:lolwut: Why would I be mad? Don't start making yourself look like an idiot by trolling.

Girls aren't bitter about being skinny fat, they generally think that's the ideal. They don't lift because the idea to do so would never occur to them. It's not something they just can't be bothered to do.

OP started lifting weights a few months ago and now thinks that he knows everything about it. He's also of the opinion that girls who don't like 'big' guys probably think that way as they're insecure and that girls who don't want to look like the pictures in the op must be jealous, bitter etc :rolleyes:
Original post by Dark Horse
Seriously, why don't they?

It seems to me that they're always banging on about "losing weight", even when they're underweight. Why do we keep hearing stories about young girls with eating disorders or reading idiotic facebook statuses about "feeling guilty" after eating a chocolate bar, even though their body was probably heavily catabolic and borderline Auschwitz-mode.

And why do they think that "losing weight" automatically means "look good". Why do they always talk about dress sizes and other irrelevant numbers instead of getting under a ****ing bar and squatting. Have most women ever seen pictures of a woman who lifts?

jodie-minear-11.jpg
zane-end-post-Copy.jpg
zane-end-post-Copy-Copy.jpg
zane-end-post-Copy-Copy-Copy-Copy.jpg

Notice that she doesn't have deeply cut muscles or much bulk? But she's lean and tight. She looks athletic and sexy. She'd be awesome in bed as well, I'd wager, purely because her lifestyle suggests that she has high energy and squats give the hip-thrust an extra "umph". Yes, my friend.

What are the so-called alternative girls are going for? Well they either diet themselves to this size and cover a flabby physique with flattering clothes or they just sit around declaring weights "not for them" whilst paradoxically wishing they had a physique like the woman in the attachment pictures.

And don't get me started on crash diets (special k lulz). Anyone who still gets sucked in by them after they seen what happened the first time clearlyneeds help. :rolleyes:

It's a UK thing.
These girls think that:
a) They won't look good
b) Dieting is how you look good because it is easy and everything good in life is easy to get :facepalm:
c) You don't actually want to look good because then you stand out from everyone else who is dieting and doing their "10 minute abs" rubbish.

Quick Reply

Latest