Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA History HIS3M The Making of Modern Britain 1951-2007

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it a bad idea to ignore going over thatcher ? I feel I don't have enough time so just planning on going over foreign policy and Blair
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myth717)
    Is it a bad idea to ignore going over thatcher ? I feel I don't have enough time so just planning on going over foreign policy and Blair
    I'm entirely skipping Thatcher too!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asparkyn)
    I'm entirely skipping Thatcher too!

(Original post by Myth717)
    YESSSSSSSSSSSS hahha im not the only one HI 5 PEOPLE!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How far has britains role in the world changed in the years 1951 to 2007?
    - Reasons for decolonisation in the light of changing british & world circumstances
    - The decision to join Europe: reasons for and against
    - Britains so called special relationship with the USA
    - Britains changing priorities post-Cold War
    - How far Britains role has changed since 1951
    Was Britain still punching above her weight in terms of foreign affairs above 1951?
    How important had thatcher and blair been in creating a new image of Britain abroad and has it been successful?
    How well had Britain adjusted to changing circumstances between 1951-2007?

Some key areas:
    ***1951-1964: a time of adjustment and search for a new role***
    - britain was already in retreat from empire but a public brought up on imperial illusions found realism difficult to accept. would a commonwealth be an acceptable substitute?
    - britain misunderstood the speed of independence and its ramifications
    - suez was a defining moment and showed Britains dependence on the USA
    - britain economically was overstretched- defence spending and independence nuclear deterrent
    - links with the USA seemed more relevant than joining the European movement
    - By 1964 the wind of change was blowing for britain and there had been some successes in providing independence

***1964-1975: a change in direct and antagonism with the USA***
    - the decision to join Europe had an impact on relations with the USA, especially in light of Vietnam
    - Wilson's relations with rhodesia and ramifications for foreign policy
    - Britains need to cut military commitments and the withdrawl from "east of suez" after the 1967 devaluation crisis
    - by 1975 britain focus seemed to be Europe and the medittaranean and a form of realism was finally taking place
    - heaths focus on Europe caused a rift in relations with the USA

***1975-1990: a time of hubris***
    - the resolution of the issue of rhodesia but continued controversy with the commonwealth over south africa and apartheid
    - the falklands- a remnant of empire, a second Suez or a chance to make MT?
    - post Falklands, a resurgence in nationalism and pride
    _ europe was the central focus for thatcher yet it caused immense problems within europe & the british govt
    - thatcher as cold war warrior. her admiration for the atlantic alliance and reagan. her contribution to the end of the cold war.

***1990-2007: a chance to forge new relationships***
    - Britain continued dialogue with, and ambialence towards, europe and the promotion of an enlarged europe
    - blairs attempts to bridge the European USA divide
    - blairs involvement with NATO and its ramifications in the Balkansm Iraq and Afgha: principled or opportunistic?
    - how far had blair damaged britains reputation in the world by 2007?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What kind of questions do you think will come up for tony blair?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K_12)
    loves how we on both forums xD
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonLT)
    loves how we on both forums xD
    Haha yeah lol :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K_12)
    id recommend using the guardians may 2007 48 page pull out which is an excellent review of blairs time in power and uses a series of key writers and cartoonist to evaluate his record and performance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardia...ardianspecial8

others are on:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...yblair.labour1
    (how to laugh at the PM)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...yblair.labour2
    (a wife less ordinary- cherie blair)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...yblair.labour3
    (how blair will be remembered- 6 historians)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...yblair.labour4
    )michael whiite on blairs charm offensive)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    id recommend using the guardians may 2007 48 page pull out which is an excellent review of blairs time in power and uses a series of key writers and cartoonist to evaluate his record and performance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardia...ardianspecial8

others are on:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...yblair.labour1
    (how to laugh at the PM)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...yblair.labour2
    (a wife less ordinary- cherie blair)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...yblair.labour3
    (how blair will be remembered- 6 historians)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...yblair.labour4
    )michael whiite on blairs charm offensive)
    Thanks
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    How far has britains role in the world changed in the years 1951 to 2007?
    - Reasons for decolonisation in the light of changing british & world circumstances
    - The decision to join Europe: reasons for and against
    - Britains so called special relationship with the USA
    - Britains changing priorities post-Cold War
    - How far Britains role has changed since 1951
    Was Britain still punching above her weight in terms of foreign affairs above 1951?
    How important had thatcher and blair been in creating a new image of Britain abroad and has it been successful?
    How well had Britain adjusted to changing circumstances between 1951-2007?

Some key areas:
    ***1951-1964: a time of adjustment and search for a new role***
    - britain was already in retreat from empire but a public brought up on imperial illusions found realism difficult to accept. would a commonwealth be an acceptable substitute?
    - britain misunderstood the speed of independence and its ramifications
    - suez was a defining moment and showed Britains dependence on the USA
    - britain economically was overstretched- defence spending and independence nuclear deterrent
    - links with the USA seemed more relevant than joining the European movement
    - By 1964 the wind of change was blowing for britain and there had been some successes in providing independence

***1964-1975: a change in direct and antagonism with the USA***
    - the decision to join Europe had an impact on relations with the USA, especially in light of Vietnam
    - Wilson's relations with rhodesia and ramifications for foreign policy
    - Britains need to cut military commitments and the withdrawl from "east of suez" after the 1967 devaluation crisis
    - by 1975 britain focus seemed to be Europe and the medittaranean and a form of realism was finally taking place
    - heaths focus on Europe caused a rift in relations with the USA

***1975-1990: a time of hubris***
    - the resolution of the issue of rhodesia but continued controversy with the commonwealth over south africa and apartheid
    - the falklands- a remnant of empire, a second Suez or a chance to make MT?
    - post Falklands, a resurgence in nationalism and pride
    _ europe was the central focus for thatcher yet it caused immense problems within europe & the british govt
    - thatcher as cold war warrior. her admiration for the atlantic alliance and reagan. her contribution to the end of the cold war.

***1990-2007: a chance to forge new relationships***
    - Britain continued dialogue with, and ambialence towards, europe and the promotion of an enlarged europe
    - blairs attempts to bridge the European USA divide
    - blairs involvement with NATO and its ramifications in the Balkansm Iraq and Afgha: principled or opportunistic?
    - how far had blair damaged britains reputation in the world by 2007?
    Even though I know this already, can I just re-inform to you that I LOVE YOU FOR THISSS !! lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. The records of labour governements in the years 1964 and 1979 was one of continuous failure- assess the validity of this view

2. to what extent were John Majors difficulties as PM of his own making, in the period 1990-1997?

3. the mismangment of british foreign policies in the years 1990-2007 did lasting harm to britains position in the world- assess validity of this view

any planning ideas??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToyosiBaby)
    Even though I know this already, can I just re-inform to you that I LOVE YOU FOR THISSS !! lol
    ahaha, took forever to typeeee D
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know what may come up to do with Blair????
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely bricking it for this exam... About the flip a coin as to whether or not I pull an all nighter to try cover everything one last time. Please someone tell me I'm not the only one panicking this much?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knagem)
    Absolutely bricking it for this exam... About the flip a coin as to whether or not I pull an all nighter to try cover everything one last time. Please someone tell me I'm not the only one panicking this much?
    You're definitely not alone :rolleyes:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knagem)
    You're not the only one, but considering that the exam is in the morning and not in the afternoon, I suggest that you got to bed at 11:30pm and get that much needed sleep ..good luck
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're not the only one, but considering that the exam is in the morning and not in the afternoon, I suggest that you got to bed at 11:30pm and get that much needed sleep ..good luck
    I'm pulling an all-nighter for this I've also got Spanish in the afternoon which is pretty much 3 hours long. SOMEONE HELP ME
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nightt ++ good luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeGusta)
    You're definitely not alone :rolleyes:
    Thank God! Yeah gonna call it a night and just hope for the best. Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Going for an all nighter .... (dramatic music)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 15, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.