The Student Room Group

Physics - 2013 Entry

Poll

Which universities are you most considering? (excluding oxbridge)

Thought I'd set up a thread for us to discuss where we're applying for physics in a few months, from what I saw there wasn't one already set up :smile:
(if there is, somebody please link me)

So where are people thinking of applying?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So exciting!!! :biggrin:
I'm currently looking at Oxford, Imperial, Manchester, Warwick (Maths and Physics) and possibly Durham. However, I'm in a bit of a dilemma as they all ask for A*AA :albertein:
Original post by Meg94
So exciting!!! :biggrin:
I'm currently looking at Oxford, Imperial, Manchester, Warwick (Maths and Physics) and possibly Durham. However, I'm in a bit of a dilemma as they all ask for A*AA :albertein:

Just go on open days and decide what sort of place you want to live in to cut a few out and leave slots for AAA/AAB places. Personally, I'd take out Warwick (too small) and Imperial (I don't want to live in London for my undergrad). Given all those places are so similar in standing, it won't matter which ones not to apply to.
Reply 3
I'll probably look at Cambridge's NatSci (although I'm not too sure on applying to a Oxbridge university) and considering Durham. Birmingham and Manchester are definite for me right now.

I need places that I can get into with lower grades though, which is annoying because I'm very keen on living in a city area...which often have very good universities (unless you go to somewhere awful)
Original post by kwikshot
I'll probably look at Cambridge's NatSci (although I'm not too sure on applying to a Oxbridge university) and considering Durham. Birmingham and Manchester are definite for me right now.

I need places that I can get into with lower grades though, which is annoying because I'm very keen on living in a city area...which often have very good universities (unless you go to somewhere awful)

Bristol and Sheffield were both gave me AAB offers. Although Sheffield is great both for physics and as a city, Bristol is a "bargain" in that both the city and course would get firmed by people if they were offering AAA or even A*AA
Reply 5
How come Glasgow Uni isn't up there?! I'm stuck between Glasgow and Edinburgh tbh. Not considering an English Uni, only due to fee's. Scottish Uni's are free for scottish students :biggrin:
Reply 6
I'm considering (in rough order of preference atm):
Oxford (A*AA)
Lancaster (A*AA)
Nottingham (AAA)
Imperial (A*AA)
Manchester (A*A*A)

I need to research insurance options. :c Since I'm looking for courses with particle physics modules (one of my main interests), I can get away with writing a draft of my PS first and deciding on the universities later.
Reply 7
Original post by IsaacJ
How come Glasgow Uni isn't up there?! I'm stuck between Glasgow and Edinburgh tbh. Not considering an English Uni, only due to fee's. Scottish Uni's are free for scottish students :biggrin:

And for European students! Which is why we English students don't have to pay for them. Oh, wait...
Reply 8
Original post by 117r
And for European students! Which is why we English students don't have to pay for them. Oh, wait...

It is a bit of "TFU'd" system to be honest. But who am I to complain?

Does anyone know how Glasgow Uni is thought of for Physics? Really looking for a first-hand opinion.
Reply 9
I'm looking at Cambridge, Sussex, Warwick, Birmingham? Bath? Maybe Manchester, there's so many Universities argh!
Reply 10
Anyone else going to Birmingham Physics Summer School on the 11th July?
Reply 11
Hi, i know this is going to sound stupid but is it possible to do a Physics degree without the A-Level. I took Bio,Maths,Chem and Psychology for AS. Recently Ive done some reading on physics and Ive never been so interested in a subject before. My GCSEs are 6A*s 5As, 100% in Physics haha, AS levels will probably be AAAB and will be predicted A*AA(A*in maths) hopefully. I was just wondering what my options are.
Reply 12
Original post by teen1234
Hi, i know this is going to sound stupid but is it possible to do a Physics degree without the A-Level. I took Bio,Maths,Chem and Psychology for AS. Recently Ive done some reading on physics and Ive never been so interested in a subject before. My GCSEs are 6A*s 5As, 100% in Physics haha, AS levels will probably be AAAB and will be predicted A*AA(A*in maths) hopefully. I was just wondering what my options are.

I'm pretty sure there is no way that you will be able to enter a Physics undergrad degree without full A2 Physics.

You have two choices:

Some universities (like University of Birmingham) offer a foundation year of Physics for people who didn't choose the right A-levels but are really interested in physics.

Do a third year at your sixth form.

Talk to your tutors about it though, they will know the best course of action to take.
Reply 13
Original post by Oromis263
Just thought I'd drop in, having gone through all this last academic year. I'll be happy to try answer any questions about applying, PS's, EC and university choices (specifically Cambridge (TrinityHall), Edinburgh, St Andrews, Lancaster and Nottingham are ones I've experienced). :smile:

Oromis, you sound like just the person I'd like to talk to!

A) How competitive is Physics at Edinburgh?
B) Is "Direct 2nd Year Entry" worth it? (On the account I get 3 A's at Advanced Higher...)
C)What kind of things should my PS focus on when applying?
D) What does "EC" stand for? xD
Reply 14
Great info, thanks!

they differentiate from there using the PS and references. :smile:

I heard you need 2 references? If 1 is a teacher, what should the other be?
Reply 15
No, UCAS just required one. :smile:

Can i ask you your grades and what offers you received? If thats not too nosey :colondollar:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
I'm thinking Southampton, Exeter, Nottingham, Bristol, Bath, not sure what order yet thouuugh :smile:
Reply 17
4 As at AS, on track for 4 A*s at A2. I got offers from Nottingham, Lancaster and Edinburgh. :smile:

Conditional? Im hoping for unconditionals :biggrin:

Reply 18
Original post by IsaacJ
Conditional? Im hoping for unconditionals :biggrin:

Conditional, as I'm in the English system. You'll not get unconditionals from universities in England, remember, only Scottish ones. :smile:
I'm thinking of applying for Astrophysics, St Andrews is my top choice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest