The Student Room Group

Physics - 2013 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qno2
MMPhys is probably a typo but a MPhys is the same thing as an MSci. Also, Cambridge is natural science rather than straight physics like you would get at Manchester. As to what is better, I don't know.

No, its not a typo. MMPhys is masters in mathematics and physics, the honours type

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1321
Original post by Arieisit
No, its not a typo. MMPhys is masters in mathematics and physics, the honours type

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure? I'd expect it to be called a MMathPhys or in Manchester's case, MMath&Phys (http://www.physics.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/course/?code=01684&pg=1)
Original post by qno2
Sure? I'd expect it to be called a MMathPhys or in Manchester's case, MMath&Phys (http://www.physics.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/course/?code=01684&pg=1)

Oh, my bad :facepalm:

How in-depth would the mathematics be as compared to a mathematics degree. Also would the amount of physics be lessened because of the extra mathematics modules?
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

How in-depth would the mathematics be as compared to a mathematics degree. Also would the amount of physics be lessened because of the extra mathematics modules?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well each university year has to compromise of 120 credits worth of modules, so there would have to be some physics lessened for more maths. A lot of these courses in universities usually have 50/50 split. Check on their handbook or a course details site for more details of the modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As said, you'll have to drop some physics to do the maths, as with any duel-honours. However it works best with P+M than any other duel combination, as you have to do maths within physics anyway. At my uni, in first year you have to do 6 modules in physics. 3 are compulsory (the main double physics module and the labs module), 2 of the others have to be maths, and the third is an option out of anything else.

With the 2 maths, you could either do ones basically designed for physicists, or could take up 2 of the core pure maths modules, which follow roughly the same stuff. If you did P+M, you'd also have to use the option slot for another core maths module.

Basically it works out cool. And in theory the extra maths will help you pick up any physics you've missed quicker, should you need it. You do the core from each subject in your first 2 years, and then can specialize into the exact area later.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Garmal
Imperial was also last to acknowledge my application, but i heard from them first for interviews.

Got an interview for Physics at Imperial on the 7th november... PAT on the same day!! anyone else in this situation?

I have the exact same thing this year!!!
what did you do??
did you have to choose or did you rearrange one?

I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice...asap if possible !!

Thanks Hayley :smile:
Original post by HayleyPico
I have the exact same thing this year!!!
what did you do??
did you have to choose or did you rearrange one?

I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice...asap if possible !!

Thanks Hayley :smile:

Sorry I'm kinda just butting in here - Imperial have replied to you already? When did you submit your application?

If it were me, I'd just ring up Imperial and tell them that you can't make the interview on that day, I'm sure they can re-arrange it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending