The Student Room Group

Why do people get a degree in something with low prospects...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Dalek1099
All degrees open up quite a lot of jobs eg.banker that are degree-level meaning you should still be able to get work.

Not all degrees. TV studies would not lead to banking for example.
Reply 61
Original post by ForKicks
Not all degrees. TV studies would not lead to banking for example.

Excuse me? I for one am very proud of my BSc TV Stud ... Do you want fries with that?... ies degree.

:ahee:
Original post by M1011
Excuse me? I for one am very proud of my BSc TV Stud ... Do you want fries with that?... ies degree.

:ahee:

If you're going to insult someone's 3 years of hard work, struggle and studying, at least make it a good one. The whole "..fries" thing is cliché.
I think the answer to the OP is "so?"

I want to study a vocational degree. You already are studying a vocational degree. However, if everyone was, we'd have a lot more competition for places and a lot of people beating us to grad jobs.

If they want to study things for the sake of being at Uni, or even because they have a passion for it - it's their choice and it's them who have to live with the consequences. I'm not saying they never work out, but obviously there's a weaker correlation of degree--> relevant job with these than degrees in econ/medicine/law etc.

They make unis a lot of money which gets spent on the unis we all go to, can't complain with that! :biggrin: OH, and some of them will get relevant jobs, undeniable, but it's usually only the people that compliment their degree with relevant work exp. and internships, or the ones topping their classes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by badumdumtscht
If you're going to insult someone's 3 years of hard work, struggle and studying, at least make it a good one. The whole "..fries" thing is cliché.

Oh dear, did I touch a nerve? I didn't realise people actually did tv studies tbh :redface:
Original post by M1011
Oh dear, did I touch a nerve? I didn't realise people actually did tv studies tbh :redface:

I'm actually doing a science degree.
Because they want to study something that interests them.

In my opinion they should get rid of degrees that have very low unemployment rates and considered worthless. This will encourage more people to study useful degrees and gain more useful skills. And the less useful degrees should be converted more into short term courses that people can do in addition to their degree (perhaps over holidays/part time).

Though psychology isn't a poor degree. It's not seen as highly as it should be in my opinion. It's more to do because of the number of poor degrees out there, it's lumped to some extent with them. And employers are dividing degrees requiring maths and without maths in overall worth (e.g. history although a good degree and not an easy one has high unemployment rates). I do a science degree but I do think it's a little unfair employers are biased towards science degrees, don't think the science degree guy will necessarily make the better employee.
Reply 67

The hard work and struggle part can be hotly debated.
Original post by ForKicks
The hard work and struggle part can be hotly debated.

Why? Have you done a TV Studies degree?

you would have to be an utter mug to think a TV studies degree is in any way difficult

could not think of a more retarded course
Reply 70

I don't have to in order to know it is debated :rolleyes:

If employers question its integrity, there are clearly some questions surrounding it.
Reply 71
Well, employment prospects aren't on everyones mind when picking their degree, and it varies with time. They weren't particularly on mine tbh
Reply 72
Original post by jaybutler
And then complain when they can't find work?

The question is - which degrees are career orientated and have high prospects?

Medicine? Maybe but few will get onto the courses in the first place...

On a similar theme, perhaps nursing, paramedics etc. are good choices with good prospects but these are very tough jobs that many won't have the heart or ability for.

Law? A law degree is generally a career orientated one yet your prospects of ending up in a decent law job are not great.

Engineering? Again, often engineering degrees are somewhat career orientated but I would still maintain that in many branches - career prospects are poor due to work availability.

Teaching? This can be a good choice prospects wise depending on age range and subject choice but then you really have to specifically want to be a teacher.

etc. etc.

Other than that, you could just accept that you are going to university to further your education and it will have little relevance to your career and thus choose something that you will enjoy and do well at.
Reply 73
Why do people care about this?

Supply and demand. Simple.
In September I'll (if I get in) be studying Creative Studies, leaning mainly towards writing and journalism. I've always had a knack for journalistic writing, and it's something I really enjoy. However, the benefit of a Creative Studies degree is that I can also do theatre studies, which I enjoy because I have a background in performance, and other aspects of media and film. In all, it's far better to stay in education (particularly whilst the WAG are still subsidising the majority of tuition fees) then to head out into the world with A Levels and nothing else. Of course, after university, I'll be hoping to get a job in journalism, but this isn't my aim forever. When my health has improved and I've got a bit more experience of life - possibly a family etc - I want to go back and train as a midwife, which is what I'd really like to be.

The most important thing is, why are people so interested? Why does it matter what someone else is doing? I'm guessing you're the irritating person who goes around on results day asking what everyone else got to make sure you did best :rolleyes: as long as you're doing something you're happy with, why do everyone else's life choices bother you so much?
Reply 75
My gosh, life isn't about paying taxes. I do realise that things cost money but I don't understand why people on TSR are so keen to bully those who choose to study philosophy or music and media studies. It's another persons life and another persons choice.
If I wanted to, I could study law or medicine - degrees that people say will guarantee me a job. Except no one is guaranteed a job, there are many people who study these degrees in hopes of becoming a doctor or a lawyer. There's competition and even the pay isn't as good as it used to be. Even if I were to become a doctor, I might spend the rest of my life miserable, hating my job because I never actually wanted to be a doctor. What's the point in being miserable in order to pay taxes and put bread on the table, or whatever people like to call it.

I only have this one life and it might be over sooner than I think. There is no saying that I will die at the ripe age of 80-something, having lived a fulfilled life. But why would I waste three years of this life, studying something that may be considered a "useful" degree, that may guarantee me a job, but one that won't make me happy?
Reply 76
Original post by lothiriel
My gosh, life isn't about paying taxes. I do realise that things cost money but I don't understand why people on TSR are so keen to bully those who choose to study philosophy or music and media studies. It's another persons life and another persons choice.
If I wanted to, I could study law or medicine - degrees that people say will guarantee me a job. Except no one is guaranteed a job, there are many people who study these degrees in hopes of becoming a doctor or a lawyer. There's competition and even the pay isn't as good as it used to be. Even if I were to become a doctor, I might spend the rest of my life miserable, hating my job because I never actually wanted to be a doctor. What's the point in being miserable in order to pay taxes and put bread on the table, or whatever people like to call it.

I only have this one life and it might be over sooner than I think. There is no saying that I will die at the ripe age of 80-something, having lived a fulfilled life. But why would I waste three years of this life, studying something that may be considered a "useful" degree, that may guarantee me a job, but one that won't make me happy?

3 years of life to earn lots of money would give you more freedom in the long-run. Those who do what they love but earn little are enslaved to debts and bills. It's all about finding a good balance, just some are able to cope better with the work than others.
Original post by jaybutler
And then complain when they can't find work?

You're spending thousands a year (9000 from here on out), dont choose something just because you "think its fun". If you like underwater basket weaving, then do underwater basket weaving in your spare time, don't get a degree in it and then wonder why no employer needs an underwater basket weaver.

Gonna get negged to hell for this, but its completely true - most people who do a non specific degree will eventually end up working in something completely different to that degree anyway, so why not study something with a lot more direction/focus which will set you up financially and then follow your other passions in your own time?

People no longer seem to go to uni to set up a future for themselves, they just do it because everyone's doing it and its expected

I agree, there are a lot of useless degrees. But if you think about it, people who have no prospects anyways going to a **** uni to do a **** degree gives them 3 years of fun. Of fun that's paid for by the student loans company. So someone that is already destined to sit on the dole/on their parents shoulders for a long time - unis the last escape for a little bit, init?
Original post by madders94
In September I'll (if I get in) be studying Creative Studies, leaning mainly towards writing and journalism. I've always had a knack for journalistic writing, and it's something I really enjoy. However, the benefit of a Creative Studies degree is that I can also do theatre studies, which I enjoy because I have a background in performance, and other aspects of media and film. In all, it's far better to stay in education (particularly whilst the WAG are still subsidising the majority of tuition fees) then to head out into the world with A Levels and nothing else. Of course, after university, I'll be hoping to get a job in journalism, but this isn't my aim forever. When my health has improved and I've got a bit more experience of life - possibly a family etc - I want to go back and train as a midwife, which is what I'd really like to be.

The most important thing is, why are people so interested? Why does it matter what someone else is doing? I'm guessing you're the irritating person who goes around on results day asking what everyone else got to make sure you did best :rolleyes: as long as you're doing something you're happy with, why do everyone else's life choices bother you so much?

Because then you look at the front page of this forum and there are multiple threads complaining about how hard it is to find jobs, and people feel so entitled to a good job just because they have a degree. I think the main point is, university should always be about improving your career prospects, since if you're gonna end up jobless after 3 years or working in a supermarket, you might aswell have not gone to uni in the first place
1. They have a pervasive interest in / are particularly inspired by the subject.

2. They believe (possibly correctly) that they will be the exception to the rule.

3. They are willing to take the risk of their degree "betraying them" - because it is part of their dream.
Why do so many girls go through gruelling ballet school when only a tiny handful will become a prima?

4. They are not sure what else to do, not going to university doesn't seem like a legitimate or sensible option.

5. They don't know as much about the other degree options they have (eg: taking a Law degree to go into journalism is better than taking a journalism degree, as you say). They are not as aware of the poor career prospects of their degree - the university advertising it promises more than they can deliver. Careers advice is poor, inadequate, absent or unrealistic.

6. People can make decisions for the now, instead of for the future - particularly when they are young, particularly when they are uninformed, particularly when there is enormous social pressure on them.

7. Money is not a concern for everyone - some people know their parents will help them if their loan becomes a problem. Even those without particularly wealthy parents may never have dealt with their own finances - when they are 17/18 applying for uni, stressing about money isn't something they've learnt yet.

Would just like to add that you seem pretty smug, judgmental, superior, unpleasant etc OP.

Easy for you - who has enough academic talent that going to university is an easy, obvious decision. Studying medicine puts you in a position where your decision to go to uni can't be criticised - and confident in your own immunity - you rain down the criticism on others but that's not really brave is it? Congratulations, you're hard enough to take negs - what a big boy.

You can't be as smart as you think if you lack sufficient insight and empathy to whinge in this wholly unoriginal way about other people's hardship as though somehow you are the victim. It's not as though your question is exactly difficult to answer, and hasn't been answered enough times already.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending