The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zottula
Pull all the names into a hat :biggrin:. Saves you making the decision :tongue:.

Perhaps. The only thing I can think of to differentiate them is proximity to the campus...but even then...

*Goes off to find hat :grin:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
Original post by NP473L
Perhaps. The only thing I can think of to differentiate them is proximity to the campus...but even then...

*Goes off to find hat :grin:

In some ways this is better. Some people set their heart on a particular hall and are gutted when they don't get it. Most people like their own hall though.
If you're wanting an opinion on living in Beit, am happy to provide. Was lucky enough to spend my time living next to the union. Good luck to those applying! :smile:
How do the payments work for halls?
I presume you pay a deposit and then pay the remainder in three parts when the student loan payments are made. Assuming I'm right in thinking like this (cause I'm just guessing from how friends have sorted out their halls), how much is the deposit and are the payments split equally into three parts?
Original post by Dracion
If you're wanting an opinion on living in Beit, am happy to provide. Was lucky enough to spend my time living next to the union. Good luck to those applying! :smile:

Please do! :smile: Beit looks like a really good hall what with it being in the center of everything pretty much.
Reply 25
Original post by catestevenson
How do the payments work for halls?
I presume you pay a deposit and then pay the remainder in three parts when the student loan payments are made. Assuming I'm right in thinking like this (cause I'm just guessing from how friends have sorted out their halls), how much is the deposit and are the payments split equally into three parts?

This is correct.

I think the deposit is about £250. The deposit then goes towards the cost of your accommodation for the final term, so the amount on your invoice for the final payment is a bit less. I think for the first two terms you pay a similar amount.
Reply 26
How competitive is it to get a Southside hall?
Reply 27
Original post by Palladium
How competitive is it to get a Southside hall?

Can't really say. There are no stats on this, and as everyone makes 5 choices (not in order of preference) it is even harder to say. I expect it changes year on year anyway. It is close to campus, so it is probably popular, but it is very expensive so that probably puts a few people off. No one here can really tell you what your chance of getting a particular hall is.
Reply 28
Original post by Zottula
Can't really say. There are no stats on this, and as everyone makes 5 choices (not in order of preference) it is even harder to say. I expect it changes year on year anyway. It is close to campus, so it is probably popular, but it is very expensive so that probably puts a few people off. No one here can really tell you what your chance of getting a particular hall is.

I thought you can place your order of preference?
Reply 29
Can you increase your chance of getting into southside/eastside by selecting the highest bands?
Reply 30
Can you increase your chance of getting into southside/eastside by selecting the highest bands?

Yeah possibly. Saying room type is more important to you than room price might help too. Otherwise they will give you something cheaper. It's all done by a computer though, and you're not even guaranteed one of your 5 choices. So don't get too attached to a particular hall. Most people end up pretty happy once they're there and have made friends in halls.

I thought you can place your order of preference?

You get 5 choices. They are not in order of preference.
Are smokers generally grouped together in flats in halls, or do they throw us somewhere out of the way? From what I can tell from the website, all of Imperial property and grounds are non-smoking, so asking the question seems rather irrelevant...
Reply 32
Original post by catestevenson
They've changed the accommodation bit of the website now, Orient and Wilson aren't included.

Is Wilson no longer available for new undergraduates??
Reply 33
^ I was going to ask that...
There's a new hall up online - Xenia.

That wasn't there before. :biggrin: It's apparently been refurbished.
But it's at Waterloo... =(
And no super fast internet :frown:

Doesn't sound that great tbh.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
is it possible to stay in the halls for just 1 term?
Reply 35
Hey guys, did anybody receive an offer for summer accomodation or does anybody know, when they will send the offers for staying over summer? Would be cool if you know anything!

Thanks
Reply 36
Please dont think im harassing you lol....

when are you doing the reviews for Evlyn gardens?
I was going to tell you all about how **** Wilson is compared to other halls (I live there now) - but looks like Imperial got to it before I did. It was going to be refurbished, but they're closing it now. It's full of mice, asbestos etc - the only thing it's good for is fast internet xD . They're replacing it with Xenia, but it's roughly the same prices as stuff like Beit + the top range prince's gardens. Not only that, but as its in Waterloo you'll need to take a tube every day - don't apply unless you can cover those expenses. From what I can see, Imperial are taking a step in the wrong direction when it comes to student finances. My maintenance loan doesn't even cover Wilson's accommodation prices.
Reply 38
Does anyone have some pictures of Fisher hall (preferably rooms, but also common areas etc if possible) or know where I could find some? Or of any of the cheaper halls really.
Original post by Linke
Does anyone have some pictures of Fisher hall (preferably rooms, but also common areas etc if possible) or know where I could find some? Or of any of the cheaper halls really.

Just kidding, but it's not far from it. What's on the website is pretty much the best info you'll get about Fisher (picture-wise). None of the people I know on TSR (and we're a select few) actually live in Fisher. Most are in Prince's Gardens, a few live in Wilson (like I do).

Quick Reply

Latest