The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

I have received the email this morning asking me to apply.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Got the email this morning, just sent my application
Reply 1122
Original post by ixorarose
I've got a bunch of questions:
1) I know there are 5 spots to fill for housing. I was wondering if I could only fill 4. Would I for sure get a place in one of my choices or will I just be assigned to something I haven't chosen?

2) Would it be advisable for me to use a Mac? Does Imperial support one kind over the other? Will there be some limitations on what software I can use in class? (I'm doing Biology)

If anyone could answer them, it'll be great! Thank:smile:

1) You have to put down 5 things. You won't necessarily get something you put in your list of preferences, since certain halls are very oversubscribed and others are undersubscribed. I know plenty of people who got put in halls they never put on their list of preferences. Imperial's only guarantee is that you will be provided with a hall for the first year.

2) Macs are everywhere at Imperial. The Imperial desktop computers generally run Windows, but as a biologist you definitely won't have a problem with a Mac. Also all the IT support on the Imperial website contains instructions for both Mac and Windows, so you'll be absolutely fine.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sent in the application.
Chose Xenia, Wilson, Woodward, The Costume Store and Parsons, really hoping to get Woodward! What do you reckon guys?

2) Would it be advisable for me to use a Mac? Does Imperial support one kind over the other? Will there be some limitations on what software I can use in class? (I'm doing Biology)

If anyone could answer them, it'll be great! Thank:smile:

Sorry for just jumping in here, but I do Biology at Imperial now and I use a Mac. You'll use some statical programs like 'R' and you're given instructions and taught how these work using Windows. However, these work slightly differently on Macs (different key combinations to do certain things). It's not a problem, but you'll have to put in a little more work to work out the differences, although loads of people use Macs so you'll be able to find someone to help you if you can't work it out. I wouldn't stop using my Mac just because of that, but I thought you might want to know :tongue:
Original post by Firefly13
Sorry for just jumping in here, but I do Biology at Imperial now and I use a Mac. You'll use some statical programs like 'R' and you're given instructions and taught how these work using Windows. However, these work slightly differently on Macs (different key combinations to do certain things). It's not a problem, but you'll have to put in a little more work to work out the differences, although loads of people use Macs so you'll be able to find someone to help you if you can't work it out. I wouldn't stop using my Mac just because of that, but I thought you might want to know :tongue:

thank you so much!! Could I get your opinion on Imperial's accommodation, particularly for Xenia? :smile:
thank you so much!! Could I get your opinion on Imperial's accommodation, particularly for Xenia? :smile:

I don't know of anyone who stayed in Xenia (sorry!), but I haven't heard anything bad about it. I was in Pembridge for my first year so I can tell you more about that if you want :smile:

Living further away can be annoying, especially as you'll have 9am lectures most days in Biology and people in Southside/Eastside can get up five minutes before the start. However, you get used to it pretty quickly and I really liked my walk across Hyde Park to get to uni each day. It's worth considering though if you really aren't a morning person and/or hate walking :tongue:. Also if you apply for Woodward you'll have to remember to include to cost of a Oyster travel card because you won't be walking in everyday!

The hall themselves are fine - they have everything you need and whenever something broke it was fixed very quickly. However, they are often in old buildings so facilities may be a little old and outdated (but still perfectly functional) and the rooms will probably be smaller than your friends at other unis (it's central London, don't expect anything amazing!). I can't say about Woodward because it wasn't built when I started, but I imagine they'll have nice new facilities though :smile:

Honestly though, try not to worry too much about the halls. Even people who got the opposite of what they wanted were happy with their hall after a few weeks and had a great time. Just take sure you introduce yourself to people and you'll make friends in no time (the people in halls are what makes it a great experience, even if your room isn't the best!).
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone else getting this error message when trying to activate their college account?
'Database failure, try activation again. Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.'
Just finished the application.
=_= There are only five available for me to choose...
The five are Eastside, Southside, Pembridge Hall, Wilson House, Woodward Hall.
Original post by ColeNate
Anyone else getting this error message when trying to activate their college account?
'Database failure, try activation again. Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.'

Looks like a... "timeout"? Have you tried again?
Original post by dragonxi
Just finished the application.
=_= There are only five available for me to choose...
The five are Eastside, Southside, Pembridge Hall, Wilson House, Woodward Hall.

I chose the same except I put Beit instead of Woodward :smile:
Reply 1131
Finished and went for
Southside - Single/Twin
Eastside - Single/Twin
Beit - Single

Hoping for a single and went for those cos they're nearest to the main campus (and apparently the nicest)!:smile:
Original post by 09sara
Finished and went for
Southside - Single/Twin
Eastside - Single/Twin
Beit - Single

Hoping for a single and went for those cos they're nearest to the main campus (and apparently the nicest)!:smile:

Are we allowed to choose both single and twin in Southside and Eastside because although the option is available in the how to apply website it says: Please note that you can only choose one single room per hall
Same hoping for a single in one of these too. :h:
Reply 1133
wondering if there are any current students that could answer this: when imperial ultimately offer you accommodation, do they offer you one room or do you pick from a selection?

as in, let's say somehow all five of my preferred halls have spaces, would I select which one i want to move in to or am i offered only one?
(edited 7 years ago)
Me and a friend of mine are planning to write some uncommon random words in the hobbies/interests part so we can get a match. Do you guys think itll work? :-p
Original post by J.Ody
wondering if there are any current students that could answer this: when imperial ultimately offer you accommodation, do they offer you one room or do you pick from a selection?

as in, let's say somehow all five of my preferred halls have spaces, would I select which one i want to move in to or am i offered only one?

You'll only be given one offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Firefly13

Hi, just a question, I own a mac desktop and I was wondering if I should take it with me to college and to a twin room. What is your opinion?
Original post by Throneofuni
Hi, just a question, I own a mac desktop and I was wondering if I should take it with me to college and to a twin room. What is your opinion?

If it is the only computer you have then I'd take it because I think you will find it pretty difficult at uni without your own. Even though there are computers at uni its sometimes hard to find a free one and sometimes you need special programmes uni computers don't have. I wouldn't worry about your roommate using it or stealing it - people are usually very nice and respectful of your things, just set up a password and mention on the first day you'd like them to ask you before using it (if you don't want them using it at all then just say you need to use it whenever they ask) :smile:

If you were also planning on taking a laptop then I would personally advise against taking it because you don't really need two computers. If you, for example, wanted to take it because it had a game you liked playing on then it's just going to distract you from your work. On a more serious note towards the end of my first year there was a theft in halls when someone got in and stole a bunch of computers (only people who left their doors unlocked rather than breaking in, so always remember to lock your doors!). The police got them all back again, thankfully, but it's an unnecessary risk if you don't really need it.

Hope this helps!
Can we apply to a single room and a twin room in Southside?
Original post by Lili1998
Can we apply to a single room and a twin room in Southside?

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending