Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Why is technology frowned upon?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    The logic here apparently is:
    Even if you built a money making perpetuum mobile, that didn't require anything more than to push a button to make money. People wouldn't consider you revenue generating unless you're the one who pushes the button.
    I'd say there's a difference between the person who comes up with the algorithm behind the model ("quants") and the people who write up the code to implement the algorithm..
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    I'd say there's a difference between the person who comes up with the algorithm behind the model ("quants") and the people who write up the code to implement the algorithm..
    That isn't exactly what happens though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)
    That isn't exactly what happens though
    It's the difference between quant developer and quant. The mathematics required from pure quants is not something that just anyone from a computer science bachelors can understand/implement. Most of the time even requires a masters/ PhD level.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do not underestimate IT my brother works as a contractor in an IB and his earning is stunning.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    And also be because SOME PEOPLE like to spend AGES with it! I'm such a hypocrite haha
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Londonpie72)
    Do not underestimate IT my brother works as a contractor in an IB and his earning is stunning.
    the rate for contractors is probably so high because they don't get bonuses? (besides of the usual factors)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QFin)
    As somebody who has interned within an IT role in a bank, I can tell you that I am very aware of its importance. As other people have commented, it is an interesting job if IT is your thing. But simply put, support staff do not get the same amount of respect within a bank as other roles do, and this is probably what the OP is referring to. Over my summer as an IT intern, I realised that while IT is of major importance, you will always be classed as "support staff". I'm not saying that I agree with it, its just how it is . The fact that you're getting defensive about it on TSR only helps to confirm what I've just said..
    Well said. Can't argue with your logic. As it happens I haven't ever worked in a bank but have in IT (with Exxon) and a support position where, as it happens, I got my teams bonuses cut because 'they did not generate revenue'. However, when we worked to rule we were told we were losing money. My boss could not really explain how it all worked so we gotm our bonuses back. That fact that company went down the toilet a year after I left is pure coincidence.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilf69)
    That fact that company went down the toilet a year after I left is pure coincidence.
    Hehe well claimed

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 30, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.