The Student Room Group

Which one should I chose for Graphic Design?

Ok basically, I've applied for Graphic Design in Winchester School Of Art, Bournemouth and CSM. I've got offers from winchester and bournemouth, and I just had a portfolio review today with CSM; they won't accept student without a foundation degree, but they liked my portfolio, and they offered me a place in their foundation course, Graphic pathway.

So which one should I chose? Doing an extra year and go for the foundation course at CSM, or not wasting my time and money and go to a BA course right away (bournemouth or winchester)

Please help =( I am so confusing right now.
Reply 1
I've done an art foundation, which I am so happy I took. And it may change your mind as to whether or not you want to do Graphics. I think the main choice here is whether or not you go to uni now, or do a foundation. You shouldn't take it lightly though that you got into Winchester and Bournemouth though! Well done for that! :smile:
Ahh I was in a similar position last year, choosing between a foundation or going straight onto a graphic design degree. I chose to just do the degree as i knew what i wanted to do and it was also the last year i'd get to pay the lower fees xD but now the fees are set and you have a choice, i'd definitely encourage you to do a foundation. All my coursemates loved their foundations and it definitely prepared them for our course in terms of having more technical skills and also process and project development. I've found it a bit hard this year to get used to this totally different way of working and would've loved the extra foundation year just to experiment and learn more before coming to uni!
I've been trying to decide whether to put Bournemouth or Winchester as my first choice for a while now. i still can't decide. It would be nice if you have any feedback as to which you all think is best. :smile:
London schools like CSM tend to want foundation years, which is why i didnt apply there. I just want to jump into the course :smile:
good luck deciding
Reply 4
Thank you all for your feedbacks ^^

I finally decided to do the foundation course, because all of my friends and teachers say I should do it, do not be afraid of wasting another year, because it will only gain you some more experience, which is the most important thing in this aspect :biggrin:

Original post by dull_brilliance
I've been trying to decide whether to put Bournemouth or Winchester as my first choice for a while now. i still can't decide. It would be nice if you have any feedback as to which you all think is best. :smile:
London schools like CSM tend to want foundation years, which is why i didnt apply there. I just want to jump into the course :smile:
good luck deciding

If you are considering between Bournemouth and Winchester for graphic, then I will advice you to go for Bournemouth ^^, winchester is more on the fashion side, but the graphic course there has some nice offers, like you'll get £300 to buy your materials and stuff, and they have an exchange period during your second year, so yes, it is a hard decision between these two, but still, i will go for Bournemouth, since they are excellent in graphic :biggrin:
Original post by anhmeow
Thank you all for your feedbacks ^^
If you are considering between Bournemouth and Winchester for graphic, then I will advice you to go for Bournemouth ^^, winchester is more on the fashion side, but the graphic course there has some nice offers, like you'll get £300 to buy your materials and stuff, and they have an exchange period during your second year, so yes, it is a hard decision between these two, but still, i will go for Bournemouth, since they are excellent in graphic :biggrin:

thanks for your feedback & I hope you have a great foundation year
:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest