The Student Room Group

A2 Biology Unit 6 ~ 16th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iesians
lol....doesnt matter...i want an A !!!! now will you please answer the question, at least:tongue:

well to be frank i really dont knw whats the IV and DV in the mitosis experiment...i guess this is just related with observations thats it.....nd i reall doubt that experiment to come.....
So guys here goes my predictions for this year's core practical that might come in Unit 6 :

1. Habituation Experiment with Snail
2. Vitamin C experiment
3. Electrophoresis
4. Ecological Sampling
5. Tensile Strength of plant fibres

Any suggestions regarding this predictions will be gladly appreciated.....:smile:
Reply 102
Original post by Abrar_Higuain
So guys here goes my predictions for this year's core practical that might come in Unit 6 :

1. Habituation Experiment with Snail
2. Vitamin C experiment
3. Electrophoresis
4. Ecological Sampling
5. Tensile Strength of plant fibres

Any suggestions regarding this predictions will be gladly appreciated.....:smile:

Why do you think vitamin c, and tensile strength of plant fibers is likely to come?
Original post by aqua05
Why do you think vitamin c, and tensile strength of plant fibers is likely to come?

Trust me i waz really hopeful with the Daphnia experiment but after getting to knw that it came in unit 3 this year so Vitamin C and tensile strength are more likely.....at least these 2 experiments have a lot evaluation issues than other experiments....btw this is just a prediction...so do you have ne predictions?????:smile:
Reply 104
Are we suppose to know time manwhitney u test?
Reply 105
Hi everyone! :biggrin:
Hows revising?

I also made a list of Core Practicals that Edexcel hasnt asked yett; and also I put in the pages where these are found in the Edexcel Biology Revision Guides (both AS & A2):

AS Core Practicals in Edexcel AS Biology Revison Guide:
1- Vitamin C Experiment; with definitions of systematic and random errors
*pages 20 - 21
2- Rates of Reactions Experiment; Enzyme Concentration Affecting the Initial Rate of Reaction
*page 29
3- Practical to Illustrate Totipotency in Plants
*page 60
4- Plant Mineral Ion Deffiency
*page 79

A2 Core Practicals in Edexcel A2 Biology Revison Guide:
A] DNA Electrophoreisis
*page 28
B] PCR
*page 29
C] Investigating Bacteria & Antibiotics
*page 35
D] Spirometer
*page 53
E] Investigating Habiutation
*page 69

IMP: Memorize the important stuff in the Results Plus Examiner Tips! Its is really helpful
Also, go through pages 84 to 89 in the Edexcel A2 Biology Revison Guide which is very helpful to understand the definitions, etc. in Unit 6
Reply 106
Original post by aqua05
Are we suppose to know time manwhitney u test?

Just incase..
Reply 107
Does anyone have unit 6 written alternative 2006 papers? If you do, please post them:-) thank you...
Guys for the statistical tests!
Can any1 tell me how do we know which test to use for whicht ype od data
like Chi-test /ttest/spearmans correlation/Utest..these r the only 4 ryt?

any help with these tests?? :/
Reply 109
Original post by Lightuponlight
Guys for the statistical tests!
Can any1 tell me how do we know which test to use for whicht ype od data
like Chi-test /ttest/spearmans correlation/Utest..these r the only 4 ryt?

any help with these tests?? :/

yup thses r the only four

chi square and T test are used when we need to verify the null hypothesis. It is done to find out whether SOMETHING is happening or not

Mann whitney and Spearmans rank is to find out a CORRELATION, positive , negative or none.
Reply 110
Can anyone help me in this question... in january 2008 unit 6 written alternative paper.. how do you calculate the number of barnacles in 1m2? Its question 1 of that paper
Original post by iesians
yup thses r the only four

chi square and T test are used when we need to verify the null hypothesis. It is done to find out whether SOMETHING is happening or not

Mann whitney and Spearmans rank is to find out a CORRELATION, positive , negative or none.

Okay great thanks alot!
And what details do we need to know about the tests when we have to applyy, like the 0.05% significance thing,and what else about them?

THE post for JAN 2008 paper? :O where did u get them and is it helpful like for this practical?
can i have a link to practice them too?
Reply 112
Okay great thanks alot!
And what details do we need to know about the tests when we have to applyy, like the 0.05% significance thing,and what else about them?

THE post for JAN 2008 paper? :O where did u get them and is it helpful like for this practical?

yes they will give t value in the question .
look up for the critical value in the table it will be under 0.05 significant level (this is 95% confidence level, remember that)
if the question value is grester than this critical value, then we can ignore the null hypothesis and assume that alternative hypothesis is correct! If not, then vice versa...:smile:
Original post by iesians
yes they will give t value in the question .
look up for the critical value in the table it will be under 0.05 significant level (this is 95% confidence level, remember that)
if the question value is grester than this critical value, then we can ignore the null hypothesis and assume that alternative hypothesis is correct! If not, then vice versa...:smile:

YUP!
and anything more from the tests to be known :P
im confused abt tests actually, as in what type of questions can show up, other than the 0.05 significance thing and rejecting the hypothesis......tht is there, but annything elsee? :P
sorry im soooo annoying :colondollar:
Reply 114
YUP!
and anything more from the tests to be known :P
im confused abt tests actually, as in what type of questions can show up, other than the 0.05 significance thing and rejecting the hypothesis......tht is there, but annything elsee? :P
sorry im soooo annoying :colondollar:

no u arent ! lol

as a matter of fact, thats it what you need to know about the tests! if you know this you are good to go!
best of luck !!
Reply 115
Okay great thanks alot!

Yyesye http:/ http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/Edexcel/Advanced%20Level/Biology/2006%20Jan/ .xtremepapers.com/papers/Edexcel/Advanced%20Level/Biology/2006%20Jan/ s

Here's the link where you can get these papers.. they helpful:-) I recommend you go over them
Thanks u guys iesians n aqua05 :biggrin:

Btw wat type of questions based on PCR and electrophoresis can we get? and will they be like for Q3? :/

do they have independant dependant variables?
and wat r variables to be controlled for both of them?
Safety/ethical issues??
what will be its LIMITATIONS? (this is really required plz answer xP)

and do u think effect of antiobiotics on bacteria may come? the A2 practical!

Do reply howmuch ever u can :biggrin:
Original post by d_94
Hows revising?

I also made a list of Core Practicals that Edexcel hasnt asked yett; and also I put in the pages where these are found in the Edexcel Biology Revision Guides (both AS & A2):

*pages 20 - 21
2- Rates of Reactions Experiment; Enzyme Concentration Affecting the Initial Rate of Reaction
*page 29
*page 60
*page 79

A] DNA Electrophoreisis
*page 28
B] PCR
*page 29
*page 35
D] Spirometer
*page 53
*page 69

IMP: Memorize the important stuff in the Results Plus Examiner Tips! Its is really helpful
Also, go through pages 84 to 89 in the Edexcel A2 Biology Revison Guide which is very helpful to understand the definitions, etc. in Unit 6

Investigating bacteria and antibiotics expt did came in Jan11....:confused:
Reply 118
Original post by d_94
Hows revising?

*pages 20 - 21
*page 29
*page 60
*page 79

A] DNA Electrophoreisis
*page 28
B] PCR
*page 29
*page 35
D] Spirometer
*page 53
*page 69

Would u happen to have a pdf version of the AS experiments ? ...
Reply 119
Original post by Abrar_Higuain
Investigating bacteria and antibiotics expt did came in Jan11....:confused:

ikr !....even vitamin C came in unit 3 earlier this year.............:eek::confused:

Quick Reply

Latest