The Student Room Group

Need to lose at least a stone in 7 weeks

Hi guys,
My boyfriend has just surprised me with a holiday to Turkey in June and I am soooo excited!
Only thing is, I am determined to look good in a swim suit because right now, i'd look like a beached whale frankly!
We fly out on the 14th so basically I have 7 weeks to shed the weight and tone up.

I am currently 5'7" and around 12 and a half stone (i know right...) which means my BMI is 27.4. At my heaviest I was 15 stone so I know I can lose the weight its just doing it in this time frame that I'm not used to.
I'm asking if anyone has any tips they can give me diet wise (times to eat, what to eat etc) and also exercise routines that don't cost a lot of money.
My friend and I are starting boxercise next week and will be using those shake plate things so little easy exercises to do on the plate would also be great.
Many thanks!

tl;dr? the bits in bold are for you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm afraid I'm no fitness or diet expert but what worked for me when I was trying to shed the pounds has simply been:

- Eating around 1300-1500 calories a day
- Doing about 30 minutes of exercise a day

What you eat depends on your preference but it goes without saying to eat a varied, balanced diet. Look online for some low-calorie recipes and eat plenty of fruit/veg, drink plenty of water etc.
Exercise wise I did the Gillian Michael 30 day shred, and the results were unbelievable combined with the diet!
A stone in 7 weeks is 2 pounds a week, which is certainly doable, but you'll have to keep around a 700kcal deficit (eat 700kcals less a day than you usually do) and exercise about 4 hours a week. When you exercise you should be sweating and out of breath, it should be hard work. Another thing is you might have some loose skin after losing all of that weight, since you are going to be losing it pretty quickly - just something to be aware of.
Original post by xStaceyy
Hi guys,
My boyfriend has just surprised me with a holiday to Turkey in June and I am soooo excited!
Only thing is, I am determined to look good in a swim suit because right now, i'd look like a beached whale frankly!
We fly out on the 14th so basically I have 7 weeks to shed the weight and tone up.

I am currently 5'7" and around 12 and a half stone (i know right...) which means my BMI is 27.4. At my heaviest I was 15 stone so I know I can lose the weight its just doing it in this time frame that I'm not used to.
I'm asking if anyone has any tips they can give me diet wise (times to eat, what to eat etc) and also exercise routines that don't cost a lot of money.
My friend and I are starting boxercise next week and will be using those shake plate things so little easy exercises to do on the plate would also be great.
Many thanks!

Read the stickies for a general starting point

However, a stone in 7 weeks is bang on 1000kcal deficit a day. Calculate your BMR (what your body burns a day by basically just being alive) X 1.2; gives you what you burn roughly each day being up and about(without exercise)
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
Add to that what you burn through exercise(it's hard to actually know unless you get a good heart rate monitor) and you have your calorie expenditure, then just take off a 1000kcal and you have your daily calorie allowance, so to say.

In terms of what to eat, healthy and balanced.

Avoid professed food like the plauge

Lots of fruit and veg; fruit is a good healthy alternative to desert and can serve as a 'sweet treat' they can be highish in calories though, so don't go OTT - Most vegetables are pretty much calorie-less food unless you eat like a panda, helps to pad out meals and keep you fuller

Lean meat; Chicken,turkey and fish. Make sure you get enough protein in, helps preserve muscle.

Complex carbs; brown rice/pasta and oats.

Healthy fats; nuts(real whole-food nuts, not those crappy packaged peanut things and the like)

In terms of when to eat. Spread your food out throughout the day, it will help to keep you feeling fuller, as opposed to a huge gap during the day when you don't eat, which may well give you mega food cravings. Keep sugar to before exercise, you don't want loads of sugar and it's best served giving you quick energy to power through a workout. Majority of carbs at breakfast for sustained energy throughout the day, and some preworkout(an hour or two before)

Exercise wise, C25K + a resistance program(a real one not just doing a few machine exercises while watching tv) = win
Your best bet is to speak to some of the women(women's lifting blog)
Also, avoid the powerplate it's pointless.

A final tip, it's the little things that separate the people who make ok/good progress and the people who make great progress. Things like having the odd biscuit, the odd glass of wine and using sugary sauces(ketchup) etc all add up over time. The more you commit the more you get out, and much sooner.

Read around more online, the more you know the easier it is.
Avoid Yahoo Answers and women's mags and the like, focus on actual fitness&nutrition sites. I know bodybuilding.com has a huge women's section, you should check it out.
Reply 4
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Read the stickies for a general starting point

However, a stone in 7 weeks is bang on 1000kcal deficit a day. Calculate your BMR (what your body burns a day by basically just being alive) X 1.2; gives you what you burn roughly each day being up and about(without exercise)
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
Add to that what you burn through exercise(it's hard to actually know unless you get a good heart rate monitor) and you have your calorie expenditure, then just take off a 1000kcal and you have your daily calorie allowance, so to say.

In terms of what to eat, healthy and balanced.

Avoid professed food like the plauge

Lots of fruit and veg; fruit is a good healthy alternative to desert and can serve as a 'sweet treat' they can be highish in calories though, so don't go OTT - Most vegetables are pretty much calorie-less food unless you eat like a panda, helps to pad out meals and keep you fuller

Lean meat; Chicken,turkey and fish. Make sure you get enough protein in, helps preserve muscle.

Complex carbs; brown rice/pasta and oats.

Healthy fats; nuts(real whole-food nuts, not those crappy packaged peanut things and the like)

In terms of when to eat. Spread your food out throughout the day, it will help to keep you feeling fuller, as opposed to a huge gap during the day when you don't eat, which may well give you mega food cravings. Keep sugar to before exercise, you don't want loads of sugar and it's best served giving you quick energy to power through a workout. Majority of carbs at breakfast for sustained energy throughout the day, and some preworkout(an hour or two before)

Exercise wise, C25K + a resistance program(a real one not just doing a few machine exercises while watching tv) = win
Your best bet is to speak to some of the women(women's lifting blog)
Also, avoid the powerplate it's pointless.

A final tip, it's the little things that separate the people who make ok/good progress and the people who make great progress. Things like having the odd biscuit, the odd glass of wine and using sugary sauces(ketchup) etc all add up over time. The more you commit the more you get out, and much sooner.

Read around more online, the more you know the easier it is.
Avoid Yahoo Answers and women's mags and the like, focus on actual fitness&nutrition sites. I know bodybuilding.com has a huge women's section, you should check it out.

Great answer, was really helpful :smile: Thanks!
Any other tips guys?
Reply 5
Really need more tips guys, looking for motivation! :P
Reply 6
Original post by Daviant
A stone in 7 weeks is 2 pounds a week, which is certainly doable, but you'll have to keep around a 700kcal deficit (eat 700kcals less a day than you usually do) and exercise about 4 hours a week. When you exercise you should be sweating and out of breath, it should be hard work. Another thing is you might have some loose skin after losing all of that weight, since you are going to be losing it pretty quickly - just something to be aware of.

Wrong 1000cal deficit and no she won't have lose skin.
Reply 7

I don't get it, what tips do you need apart from get your fat ass off your chair and go lose some weight.
Reply 8
Original post by e1usive

how much weight would you need to lose and how quickly in order to have loose skin? i'm trying to lose 1-2lbs a week and thought that that was the recomendation
Reply 9
It's something If I remember correctly like 3.2lb of fat a week lost causes lose skin.
Original post by e1usive

You didn't factor in the 300kcal a day burned during exercise. Also 3500kcal per pound of fat isn't set in stone, it's variable.
Reply 11
Original post by Daviant
You didn't factor in the 300kcal a day burned during exercise. Also 3500kcal per pound of fat isn't set in stone, it's variable.

No It's actually set in stone 1lb of fat equates to 3500calories.
Eat less move more.

Burn more than you consume, like you've already been told. It's as simple as that.

No one can motivate you. You either fail, following in the path of many females going on silly fad yo-yo diets which turn them into skinny-fat messes, or you're one of the minority who succeed and keep the weight off.
Reply 14
If you really want to do this then listen up. You need to calculate your Calorie needs as directed below. Credit to Emma-Leigh at Bodybuilding.com

Estimating Requirements
The simplest method is to base your intake on a standard 'calories per unit of weight (usually kilograms)'. Typically:
- 26 to 30 kcals/kg/day for normal, healthy individuals with sedentary lifestyles doing little physical activity [12.0-14 kcal/pound]
- 31 to 37 kcal/kg/day for those involved in light to moderate activity 3-5 x a week with moderately active lifestyles [14-16 kcal/ pound]
- 38 to 40 kcals/kg/day for those involved in vigorous activity and highly active jobs [16-18 kcal/ pound].
For those involved in HEAVY training (eg: athletes) - the demand is greater:
- 41 to 50 kcals/kg/day for those involved in moderate to heavy training (for example: 15-20 hrs/ week training) [18.5-22 kcal/ pound]
- 50 or above kcals/kg/day for those involved in heavy to extreme training [> 22 kcal/ pound]

There are then a number of other formula which calculate BMR. This means it calculates what you need should you be in a coma.
1/ Harris-Benedict formula: Very inaccurate. It was derived from studies on LEAN, YOUNG, ACTIVE males MANY YEARS AGO (1919). Notorious for OVERESTIMATING requirements, especially in the overweight. IF YOU CAN AVOID IT, DON'T USE IT!
MEN: BMR = 66 + [13.7 x weight (kg)] + [5 x height (cm)] - [6.76 x age (years)]
WOMEN: BMR = 655 + [9.6 x weight (kg)] + [1.8 x height (cm)] - [4.7 x age (years)]

2/Mifflin-St Jeor: Developed in the 1990s and more realistic in todays settings. It still doesn't take into consideration the differences as a consequence of high BF%. Thus, once again, it OVERESTIMATES NEEDS, ESPECIALLY IN THE OVERWEIGHT.
MEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5
WOMEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161

3/Katch-McArdle:Considered the most accurate formula for those who are relatively lean. Use ONLY if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.
BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

As these are only BMR calculations To convert BMR to a TOTAL requirement you need to multiply the result of your BMR by an 'activity variable' to give TEE.
The Activity Factor is the TOTAL cost of living, NOT JUST YOUR TRAINING. Think about it - if you train 1 hr a day - WHAT ARE YOU DOING THE OTHER 23 HRS?! So MORE important than training -- it includes work, life activities, training/sport & the TEF of ~15% (an average mixed diet).
Average activity variables are:
1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job, and Little Formal Exercise)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity AND light exercise 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)

How Accurate are they?: They give rough ball-park figures and are still 'guesstimations'. So the aim is to use these as 'rough figures', monitor your weight/ measurements for 2-4 weeks, & IF your weight is stable/ measurements are stable, you have likely found maintenance.

Using the Above to Recalculate Based on Goals
You then need to DECREASE or INCREASE intake based on your goals (eg: lose or gain mass). It is not recommended to use a 'generic calorie amounts' (eg: 500 cals/ day). Instead this should be calculated on a % of your maintenance. Why? The effect of different calorie amounts is going to be markedly different based on someones size/ total calorie intake. For example - subtracting 500 cals/ day from a 1500 total intake is 1/3rd of the total cals, where 500 cals/ day from 3000 total intake is only 1/6th of the total. The results will therefore be markedly different on an individuals energy level & weight loss. Generally:
- To ADD weight: ADD 10-20% calories to the total above
- To LOSE weight: SUBTRACT 10-20% calories from the total above
Then monitor your results and adjust as required.

Once you've got what you need, follow this: 50% of all your calories, should come from lean proteins; Chicken, Fish, Turkey, Whey Protein etc.

30% should come from a LOW GI, Complex carbohydrate source. Veggies, Brown Rice, Rye bread, Oatmeal. NO Pasta, White Rice, Cakes, Buiscuits, in fact, cut out anything that has more than 10g of sugar per serving, this INCLUDES Fruit juices.

Remaining 20%, essential fats. Coconut oil, seeds, nuts... Olive oil, Omega 3 (Oily fish).

Some people may say follow IIFIYM (If it fits in your macro's) but this is much easier.

Working out:

Unless you want to look saggy and ill, you must start some sort of weightlifting programme. NO, you will not get huge and muscley, it will give you a more toned appearance and reduce the amount of cardio you will need to do.

If you follow your diet well, you don't even need to do cardio, find a beginners weight lifting programme depending on your injuries and stay on a caloric deficit of 20% (Any more is unhealthy) = Profit.

P.S, You actually need to manually figure out your own specific needs, it'll make you realise what you need to do instead of underestimating it all.
Reply 15
Hi guys,

Many thanks!

eat brown rice (£1.50 in tescos per kg),
canned peas(21p a can in tescos),
black beans,
boiled chicken(£1.50 in tescos for uncooked chicken thighs),
wholemeal oat without sugar use syrup instead or honey

DRINK 2 LITRES OF WATER A DAY

the weight is lost in the kitchen stay away from white bread, white rice, sugary foods
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Bread, rice and pasta is basically all i eat.. :x
You've had enough comments from people with ideas, I agree entirely with the first couple of posts with regards to how much you should eat.

I noticed a bit of talk of loose skin, and I would like to say that it's not easy to tell whether you'll have loose skin or not. Losing a stone in 7 weeks isn't unusually fast, and I know people who have lost more quicker and have no loose skin (myself included when I lost 20lbs in the same time frame- but I was 18 and a half stone at the time). However I also know people who've lost weight relatively slowly and still have loose skin, so there's no way to tell until you get there how your body is going to react to the weight loss.

I always say that at least if you do get loose skin you're still healthier. When I started losing weight I would never have worn a bikini for example, so the fact that I wouldn't be able to wear a bikini if I got loose skin was a non-issue, because I couldn't before so it's not as though it got taken away from me.. if that makes sense.

Also, click the link in my sig to our weight loss thread, we will motivate you :biggrin:.
I've taken my calorie intake per day down to 1300 and I'm in the gym 4-5 hours a week. I've lost 4lb in a week and a half :smile:
If everyone else can do it then so can you :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by sucess
eat brown rice (£1.50 in tescos per kg),
canned peas(21p a can in tescos),
black beans,
boiled chicken(£1.50 in tescos for uncooked chicken thighs),
wholemeal oat without sugar use syrup instead or honey

DRINK 2 LITRES OF WATER A DAY

the weight is lost in the kitchen stay away from white bread, white rice, sugary foods

Syrup... as in... liquid sugar?! :s-smilie:

Edit: To actually be helpful - you don't need to add sugar to porridge at all really. I find a chopped up banana and/or some chopped strawberries and/or dried fruits are enough sweetness once you've got used to it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest