The Student Room Group

How to get A* in IGCSE Chemistry?

I've got my Edexcel iGCSE in Chemistry in 3 weeks time.

At the moment, I am on a low A. I desperately want to get an A* so that I am in the best position possible to apply for Cambridge.

Chemistry isn't a subject that comes very naturally to me and although I understand most of the course, I'm struggling to remember everything/ understand everything and get A*s in papers.

How would you recommend I revise for this over the next 3 weeks? Any tips?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I don't know if these will help, but here are some notes for the Edexcel IGCSE:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8918634/GCSE/Chemistry.docx

Now, to bump up to an A*, the best thing to do is do past papers. Look at mark schemes to learn about how to answer questions and where marks are awarded.

If you come across a question you are unsure of, look up the topic in a textbook or in these notes. Memorise the details so that you don't feel unsure anymore.

Good luck!! :smile:
put effort and learn! that all. do latest question papers. most similar questions come frm here. gud luck!!!!:wink::smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thank you so much for this revision guide! I'm not as good at chemistry but it has helped a great deal! Good luck everyone in the exam tomorrow:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by soindie

I desperately want to get an A*

How to get an A*

1) go online and find the specification for your exam

2) go through every single point on the spec and make sure you fully understand and know each one.

3)do a past paper, and when marking it, highlight the areas in the spec where you lost marks.

4) revise and consolidate each point on the spec in which you lost marks on before you go onto your next past paper

5) repeat steps 3-4 untill you get full marks twice in a row (or more)

Note: make sure you mark you papers yourself, and mark critically. if there a situation where you think it might or might not be worth a mark, dont mark it correct.
pay close attention to the mark scheme when marking your papers, it gives you a good feel of what words the examiners are trying to pull out of you from their questions.

chill before your exam and then boss it
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by soindie

At the moment, I am on a low A. I desperately want to get an A* so that I am in the best position possible to apply for Cambridge.

Chemistry isn't a subject that comes very naturally to me and although I understand most of the course, I'm struggling to remember everything/ understand everything and get A*s in papers.

Original post by harrietx123x
Thank you so much for this revision guide! I'm not as good at chemistry but it has helped a great deal! Good luck everyone in the exam tomorrow:smile:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=edexcel+igcse+chemistry+revision+guide&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=y2r&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:redface:fficial&prmd=imvns&resnum=3&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1252&bih=619&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16558617715161782297&sa=X&ei=5EG5T7rCLsqJ8gOgl6ytCg&ved=0CF4Q8wIwAA

That book ... You are sorted - Worked for everyone last year :smile:
Reply 6

That book is very very good. Everything you need for the course. Very similar to the revision stuff I posted. In fact, I made those notes before discovering the book. Had I known it existed I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of making them. Oh well.

Good luck to everyone for the exam tomorrow!!
Original post by 117r
That book is very very good. Everything you need for the course. Very similar to the revision stuff I posted. In fact, I made those notes before discovering the book. Had I known it existed I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of making them. Oh well.

Hahah best book right? There's one for physics and biology too
3 A*'s in science IGCSE? - Those were the books !
Original post by soindie
I've got my Edexcel iGCSE in Chemistry in 3 weeks time.At the moment, I am on a low A. I desperately want to get an A* so that I am in the best position possible to apply for Cambridge.Chemistry isn't a subject that comes very naturally to me and although I understand most of the course, I'm struggling to remember everything/ understand everything and get A*s in papers.How would you recommend I revise for this over the next 3 weeks? Any tips?

Hey.. I'll be doing my chemistry IGCSE Edexcel exam on January 2014..:frown:
Any advice, tips (good sites available if you know) please :smile:
Reply 9
Mocks right? Same here ^_^
1.) Learn the facts. Learn them. Re-learn them. Chem's more factual and less fiddly than bio and phys; you're a lot less likely to get those annoying 'applying knowledge' questions that will make you want to punch through the desk. So you mainly have to make sure you know the course inside out; particularly formulae, valencies and ELEMENT SYMBOLS - coming from someone who's lost marks many a time from putting Fluorine as Fl

2.) Past papers. And lots of them. Study the mark schemes - often the same questions will come up on different papers.

3.) Get people to test you on the topics you're not so great at.
Reply 11
Original post by Anne james
Hey.. I'll be doing my chemistry IGCSE Edexcel exam on January 2014..:frown:
Any advice, tips (good sites available if you know) please :smile:

CGP Revision Guide - Learn it, treat it as god :tongue: I was predicted a B and had a crap teacher but got this book and learnt it front to back - I got an A*! I'd recommend this for other sciences too.
Cambridge don't look at your GCSE grades anyway
Reply 13
Can't see the book anymore, do you know the isbn number, I know this was a long time ago, just wondering if you could remember it?
Reply 14
Original post by 117r

Couldn't see the book from the link, any idea what the isbn number is?
Original post by 117r
Well I don't know if these will help, but here are some notes for the Edexcel IGCSE:

Now, to bump up to an A*, the best thing to do is do past papers. Look at mark schemes to learn about how to answer questions and where marks are awarded.

If you come across a question you are unsure of, look up the topic in a textbook or in these notes. Memorise the details so that you don't feel unsure anymore.

Heey!

I just wanted to let you know that the guide doesnt open anymore, any other guide that you are aware of for chemistry or any edexcel subjects?
Reply 16
Original post by ang1243
Couldn't see the book from the link, any idea what the isbn number is?

These are the details of the book from the link:

Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry
by Cliff Curtis · Pearson Education, Limited · Paperback · 128 pages ·
ISBN 0435046721
Reply 17
Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry [Book]
by Cliff Curtis · Pearson Education, Limited · Paperback · 128 pages · ISBN 0435046721
Original post by ang1243
Can't see the book anymore, do you know the isbn number, I know this was a long time ago, just wondering if you could remember it?

You could download the book or even print it.
Here's the link for the revision guide:
https://nzkhanew.wikispaces.com/file/view/Edexcel%2Bigcse%2Bchemistry%2BRevision%2Bguide.pdf
Original post by 117r

Hey, by any chance, could you post that revision guide again, if you still have it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending