Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else doing AQA further maths gcse?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to see if anyone else is actually doing it, and how they're finding it/ revising for it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Further Maths GCSE? :facepalm:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flyteryder)
    Further Maths GCSE? :facepalm:
    Yeah it's a new specification, i'm not just uberfailing. http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/igcse/maths.php
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukeface)
    Just wanted to see if anyone else is actually doing it, and how they're finding it/ revising for it.
    Looking through the specimen paper, it looks to me just like GCSE normal maths, just without the questions like "Write 23 in words".

Jealous that this wasn't out before! :P
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oromis263)
    Looking through the specimen paper, it looks to me just like GCSE normal maths, just without the questions like "Write 23 in words".

Jealous that this wasn't out before! :P
    Yeah it certainly offers more of a challenge than the normal GCSE! Plus there's like an A* with distinction grade which looks pretty cool.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My friend is doing it! I think 6 people are doing it in my year.. They are revising off revision books
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am doing it!
    First exam 29th of May, Second on the 1st of June.
    The ******* i'm having is I normally revise from past papers for maths, er there are none except the specimen.
    Also our maths teacher doesn't know to what level he should teach us, so basically we know the whole of Core 1 AS.
    I'm stressing as I really want the A* with Distinction, anyone got any revision tips?
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this too!
    I have no idea how to revise for it/what the grade boundaries would be ><
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nataliekwong)
    I'm doing this too!
    I have no idea how to revise for it/what the grade boundaries would be ><
    I'm hoping the grade boundaries are pretty damn low! In the specimen papers i've been getting roughly 58/70 in paper 1 and 72/105 in paper 2. Paper 2 is insanely difficult!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellenabethx)
    I am doing it!
    First exam 29th of May, Second on the 1st of June.
    The ******* i'm having is I normally revise from past papers for maths, er there are none except the specimen.
    Also our maths teacher doesn't know to what level he should teach us, so basically we know the whole of Core 1 AS.
    I'm stressing as I really want the A* with Distinction, anyone got any revision tips?
    You know there is more than just the one specimen paper? Get your teacher to download these 3 mock papers: http://aqamaths.aqa.org.uk/index.asp?CurrMenu=297
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping the grade boundaries are pretty damn low! In the specimen papers i've been getting roughly 58/70 in paper 1 and 72/105 in paper 2. Paper 2 is insanely difficult!
    72/105 and 58/70 are extremely high marks to get in both papers><!
    I wish that theyd give us an idea of what marks are what grades though><
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    You know there is more than just the one specimen paper? Get your teacher to download these 3 mock papers: http://aqamaths.aqa.org.uk/index.asp?CurrMenu=297
    Hey,
    Yeah he gave us loads of past papers and worksheets for study leave,
    I got 81% on Paper 1, do you reckon that would be an A or A* due to the extra grade?
    aaaah stressed
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    HI, has anybody got any revision sources or grade boundries? Im getting 92/93% average; is it enough for A* Distinction :confused: :eek:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this as well.

What I would say is go through the specification, and for any topics you don't fully understand, revise them through videos etc on the internet.

Don't worry too much about past papers - it doesn't matter too much for Mathematics.

As a tip, make sure you are able to prove most things you do, as this specification likes to test your knowledge of proofs
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdar08)
    HI, has anybody got any revision sources or grade boundries? Im getting 92/93% average; is it enough for A* Distinction :confused: :eek:
    Holy ******* ****, how have you got that high!!! My guess would be that you would definitely be on course for the a^ grade! Although then again, we don't know how high those marks would be when when they are converted to ums. It's impossible to tell without grade boundaries.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it, and I'm really scared :s
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just did it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i am oing it too normally get only about 40 out of 70 on te first paper and 70 on the second paper, but i havent done any work for it other than in class. ##the grade boundaries should be fairly low though because evry question on the paper is A*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deziah)
    I just did it.
    how did you find it , think i lost 30 marks from getting wrong answers but hopefuly got working out marks
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icestar)
    how did you find it , think i lost 30 marks from getting wrong answers but hopefuly got working out marks
    Some questions were easy, but some were nearly impossible. I know for a fact I haven't done well at all.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 20, 2014
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.