The Student Room Group

Employability? Degree in International Relations or Human Rights?

Hello!

I could use some help... I would eventually like to work for a non-profit. But I'm not off to the idea of working in a professional setting, either.

Which degree would be a better option to impress future resume-readers? I know HR is more specific, but IR seems to more respected, even though they deal with similar theory, case-studies, etc?

Any thoughts? I could really use your opinions :colondollar:
By the way, this will be for my Masters degree... I have been accepted to schools for both HR and IR.
Reply 2
IR has been a pretty classic subject since 1919, HR is pretty new. I'd personally study IR (well, I do study IR...) because HR won't be as competitive and won't look as good if you ever decide you don't want to work in NGOs anymore. If you're 100% sure you really want to make a career in AI or HRW, then HR may not be a bad choice, but, for instance, if you're interested in something like CARE or OxFam, your HR degree won't look quite as good as a regular IR degree...
Reply 3
Just saw in another post you're doing your masters. Have you considered Int Development for non-profits? It's a bit more 'practical'... and as an American, I'm not entirely sure how much HR would be respected in the states, which is why (I think) most reputable, big name US schools don't offer anything quite like it.
I would suggest IR as it gives you a broader spectrum of non-profits you can then apply to. HR is a bit more specific, so unless you know your ambition is to work in that area in particular, I wouldn't recommend it.
Original post by aftrglw
IR has been a pretty classic subject since 1919, HR is pretty new. I'd personally study IR (well, I do study IR...) because HR won't be as competitive and won't look as good if you ever decide you don't want to work in NGOs anymore. If you're 100% sure you really want to make a career in AI or HRW, then HR may not be a bad choice, but, for instance, if you're interested in something like CARE or OxFam, your HR degree won't look quite as good as a regular IR degree...

Hey thanks so much! This is really helpful... I think I've decided to get my MA in IR!
Original post by WillowLeaves
I would suggest IR as it gives you a broader spectrum of non-profits you can then apply to. HR is a bit more specific, so unless you know your ambition is to work in that area in particular, I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks =)! That's a good point... it seems to open up more options and opportunities to different work! Thanks for the input!!!
If you're exceptional at anything you're going to find work in it. If you're just doing it for ****s and giggles and don't want to put the hours in to building contacts and getting experience whilst studying then you could well end up on the dole.
Original post by Llamageddon
If you're exceptional at anything you're going to find work in it. If you're just doing it for ****s and giggles and don't want to put the hours in to building contacts and getting experience whilst studying then you could well end up on the dole.

I agree with you on a certain level, but since I am pursuing postgraduate study as an international student, it is an incredible financial investment to undertake such studies... so it is really important to consider the practical side of things. Believe me, I have a 4.0 GPA for my undergraduate degree (in English Literature & Writing). I believe if you put the hard work in, then you can go anywhere. But I'm also going to be taking on some debt for this, and since both areas of study interest me, I want to choose the degree that has the best employment prospects. Especially in this economy =)!
Reply 9
Original post by ListenerFriendly
I agree with you on a certain level, but since I am pursuing postgraduate study as an international student, it is an incredible financial investment to undertake such studies... so it is really important to consider the practical side of things. Believe me, I have a 4.0 GPA for my undergraduate degree (in English Literature & Writing). I believe if you put the hard work in, then you can go anywhere. But I'm also going to be taking on some debt for this, and since both areas of study interest me, I want to choose the degree that has the best employment prospects. Especially in this economy =)!

If you enjoy what you do, go for it but in terms of employment. I don't think a degree will guarantee anyone a job nor am I saying it's not worth it or worth it either.

I would assume most have already taken or pursue the career path as you did. Try find anyone you know who completed a degree recently and see if they had any luck.

Of course, you'd have to do a background check on them if they're willing to provide. Many people have many 1-2 or more years of experience to be equipped for the job.Worth considering the people older than you.
Reply 10
I would like to enjoy the discussion and give you an advice..i've been studying IR for 3 years and I've got my degree 10 days ago!! I will complete my cycle of studies with a master in UK in 2013. Well I'm writing from Italy, i got my degree here but i've been studying in Spain as well..i received many advices from professors and experts here and in Spain..almost all of them told me that depending on what you will want to do, in order to success in this career, because of the ferocious competition, it's extremely important while studying, develop a strong knowledge of foreign languages (3 or 4), get work experience, experiences abroad and create a big network of contacts all around the world..this is a really safe way to have optimal chances to get a valid position once you finish your master
Yes i know..it's a hard career..
Sorry for possible grammatic errors but i'm doing my best to get fluency in english :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending