Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Which injustices of the world really get to you?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The fact that there are billionaires when there are people that can't even afford food. I will never understand how anyone can need that much money.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The world's attitude to rape, in all forms, in all countries.

It makes me sick that - they suspect, though exact figures are hard to obtain - roughly 94% percent of rapists go completely free with no charge. That in South Africa, 50% of people there will get raped in their lifetime, and a young girl is more likely to get raped than get an education. That people still think that a skirt/dress is the same as saying "please, stick your penis in me." That people think men can't get raped, or make fun those who are brave enough to speak out against it. And that, unbelievably, people still have the audacity to make rape jokes.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ignorance.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Animal testing

Mass production of animal products. I understand the point that animals (human animals included) tend to eat other animals, but bringing them up in terrible conditions and basically torturing them their whole life is not really right.

The fact that USA is allowed to work as an "world police" and do whatever it wants including doing **** to other countries

Gays not having the right to marry or adopt (they should have)

Ignorance of humans. Most of us are doing all kinds of harm to this planet and people without bothering to think about it twice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1) Upper class Arabs who shoot their own citizens
    2) North Korea letting the country starve
    3) Stigma attached to HIV/AID's
    4) Stigma attached to homosexuality.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    The shocking percentage of money donated to charity, that actually goes towards charity.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    I don't want to get into a whole big thing, but this happens in nature, other animals eat other animals.
    you just made a big thing dude!!!

i responded to another person on here who made the same comment, find it and tell me what you think
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The fact that the old people at the pub always seem to win the pub quiz and the Irish bingo every week and scoop the £100+ jackpot.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    The fact that people are sometimes sentenced to a certain amount of years in prison and then get released early for good behaviour.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Prejudice against the mentally ill
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. The lack of any effective mechanism for students to raise a complaint about their handling by UK universities.

2. The lack of interest of UK students in an effective complaints procedure.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The introduction of laws. Should be free.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ignorance.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Militant religious people trying to force their supersitituous nonsense on other people.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's got to be people making a very lucrative living from what is basically a lie. I mean, Noel Fielding makes tons of money from being a comedian, yet he's not funny at all. Relate it to another service. If you bought a book that advertised itself as being a comedy, yet you did not laugh, would you not ask for your money back?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Marginalisation of Christianity: banning crucifixes in work places & the like.
    The GB empire came to my country told us our own religions and practices were wrong, forced Christianity on us and now persecute us for wearing a symbol of the religion they gave us.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pwhiskers)
    Why is eating meat being ignorant? Humans are omnivores, it's what we've evolved to eat.

Aren't you just being ignorant of the food chain? People are entitled to choose what they eat for whatever reason. Why does eating meat have to be all or nothing?

Also, I'm sure if we were to abandon all modern society and go back to hunting our own food, people would be prepared to do more to survive than they are now. Everyone doesn't kill their own food because it isn't pleasant. I acknowledge that. And so does the animal kingdom - most animals don't kill other animals for the fun of it, when they kill them they eat them and they don't waste.

P.S. - I'm not saying vegetarianism is wrong, by all means if that's what you believe you're entitled to have your opinion, but don't have a go at other people for choosing to eat meat and which meats they want to eat.
    Because, from what I understand, meat is incredibly wasteful to the world's resources. You can feed far more people with plant-based diets. Just because nature designed us to eat meat doesn't mean to say we must. Human behaviour often goes against what's "supposed" to happen from the nature/natural side, e.g. medicine etc. Indeed, there are many animals we don't eat for some bizarre reason. Which brings me to my point I was going to add. The thing that gets me most is world hunger.

• 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wetin dey?)
    Marginalisation of Christianity: banning crucifixes in work places & the like.
    The GB empire came to my country told us our own religions and practices were wrong, forced Christianity on us and now persecute us for wearing a symbol of the religion they gave us.
    So as long as I can take my ceremonial sword to work. That's fine with you?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Because, from what I understand, meat is incredibly wasteful to the world's resources. You can feed far more people with plant-based diets. Just because nature designed us to eat meat doesn't mean to say we must. Human behaviour often goes against what's "supposed" to happen from the nature/natural side, e.g. medicine etc. Indeed, there are many animals we don't eat for some bizarre reason. Which brings me to my point I was going to add. The thing that gets me most is world hunger.
    If you're a vegetarian, fair enough. But don't bad mouth carnivores when we were biologically designed to eat meat - you just made a choice not to. Here are some arguments against vegetarians - I'm only giving it because you brought your own self-righteous beliefs here:

Studies have repeatedly shown that vegetarians who fail to supplement their diets with Vitamin D, B12 and iron are prone to becoming dangerously anemic. Vegetarians also typically miss out on omega-3 fatty acids. These unsaturated acids have been proved to slow the progression of atherosclerosis, reduce triglyceride levels, act as anti-inflammatory agents, and potentially help with depression and some personality disorders.
    Researchers at Oxford University recently followed 35,000 individuals aged 20 to 89 for a period of five years and discovered that vegans are 30% more likely to break a bone than their vegetarian and flesh-eating peers. A subsequent study conducted by Sydney’s Garvan Institute for Medical Research found that vegetarians had bones 5% less dense than meat-eaters. This can be attributed to the fact that many vegetarians and vegans consume very little calcium due to the limitations of their diet.

There is the moral argument for vegetation and as something we consume we eat from something else. In fact, some groups even believe plants can feel pain. Take the Ethics Committee on Non-Human Biotechnology, for instance. This Swiss group recently came out in defense of our leafy green friends in a report on “the dignity of the creature in the plant world.” They argued that plants deserve respect and that killing them arbitrarily is morally wrong - I think it sounds ridiculous but they could be right. At the end of the day, if you compare the same principle ethics of killing any living thing then plants are no exception, which only makes you on the same moral level as any meat eater. Thus you violate 'plant' rights.

Cultivation of fruits and vegetables can also have dire environmental implications. The vast majority of non-organic farms still use pesticides and insecticides that kill off just as many beneficial predators as pests, thereby leaving nature’s delicate balance in disarray. These dangerous chemicals also frequently leach into water supplies where they can cause harmful neurological effects when consumed by humans and animals alike. The cultivation of vegetables requires vast amounts of water, which in turn can cause shortages and, in extreme cases, drought. Fruit and vegetable farms also harm the environment through the burning of agricultural waste and the production of oxide emissions from nitrogen fertilizer.

As for air pollution, it should be noted that vegetarians also produce more gas than meat-eaters. The problem lies in the human body's inability to fully digest the complex carbohydrates in the vegetarian diet, resulting in higher production of gases like hydrogen, carbon dioxide and methane.

Even if you don't eat meat you may still use products made from animals - and if you want believe the ethos of 'waste not, want not' and recycling/using everything possible then you can't be ignorant to meat eaters. This goes against your 'world hunger' picture - if people do starve then we have to use whatever comes to us. How can you be against eating meat yet for only eating vegetation when people are starving? And people don't generally starve because there is a lack of food, but because they don't have access to food. If you want to waste resources which can be replenished in a world where people starve then you sound quite hypocritical to me.

And lastly, the most commonly used but effective argument, animals eat other animals: circle of life. Animals all die eventually anyway, being eaten by humans is just another way.

Sources: http://uk.askmen.com/money/how_to_40...#ixzz1tnEs4gjO

• 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    If you're a vegetarian, fair enough. But don't bad mouth carnivores when we were biologically designed to eat meat - you just made a choice not to.
    If you decided not to jump on my post so quickly you'd probably realise I'm vegan. Vegetarians contribute to the raping of cows for milk and to the premature deaths of male calves in the dairy industry and other stuff so I have no personal liking for vegetarianism. And no I'm not "bad mouthing" carnivores but this designed element is primary school "logic" regarding eating meat. I could easily argue that the mouth, by virtue of having teeth, and the anus, by having no natural lubrication, are not designed for penile penetration but I don't care if other humans are participating in penetrative sex outside of vaginal intercourse. Medicine contravenes the survival of the fittest, for which nature intended the strongest to survive.

(Original post by Kiss)
    Here are some arguments against vegetarians - I'm only giving it because you brought your own self-righteous beliefs here:

Studies have repeatedly shown that vegetarians who fail to supplement their diets with Vitamin D, B12 and iron are prone to becoming dangerously anemic. Vegetarians also typically miss out on omega-3 fatty acids. These unsaturated acids have been proved to slow the progression of atherosclerosis, reduce triglyceride levels, act as anti-inflammatory agents, and potentially help with depression and some personality disorders.
    Researchers at Oxford University recently followed 35,000 individuals aged 20 to 89 for a period of five years and discovered that vegans are 30% more likely to break a bone than their vegetarian and flesh-eating peers. A subsequent study conducted by Sydney’s Garvan Institute for Medical Research found that vegetarians had bones 5% less dense than meat-eaters. This can be attributed to the fact that many vegetarians and vegans consume very little calcium due to the limitations of their diet.
    Self-righteous? Nah. I don't need to contribute to the suffering of animals on the scale of the Holocaust. Vegetarians live longer than meat eaters from my understanding. However, I'm not a vegetarian so I haven't really bothered looking to the virtues of nutrition on that basis. The way poor diets of vegetarians and vegans alike get publicised, while a lot of the country's population continue to eat their way to death on poor omnivore diets is absurd and perhaps veganism is seen as deviant behaviour, a threat to society. I could happily bring up statistics of reduced mortality from non-vegan lifestyles. Smoking isn't vegan so you got lung cancer there, plenty of fans of meat will get heart disease too. Doesn't eating bacon get you cancer these days? :rolleyes:

You could look at the countries as a whole and see, on average, how much meat they consume per head. This is will ignore the quality of the meat but I wouldn't be surprised that countries who love their meat a lot more than others will be fatter as a result.

Me personally, I have top cardiovascular fitness and have passed the majority of tests required for Commando training. If you plan a diet properly then it's a non-issue, whether you're a vegan, vegetarian, or an omnivore. Many foods as supplemented with calcium, such as soya milk, which I take. I do occasionally take vegan supplements for omega stuff. Thank you for your concern. :cool:

As long as man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of pain and murder cannot reap joy and love. ~ Pythagoras.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2014
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.