Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

As a young British male, why does everyone expect me to be into football?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ok not literally everyone expects me to be into football. but the majority of people do, even those who know me quite well. i am sick and tired of people trying to start conversations about football. it happens most of all in the gym. most of the conversations in the gym are about football- who is going to win the title race, who is out of the weekend's games, why did that red card happen, why this, why that. i dont like seeming rude so i go along with it and pretend i know a bit about football but it saddens me that so many young males (and even females) practically live for this sport and dedicate their entire life to following some vastly overpaid thugs kicking a ball into a net.

i must not be the only one who is like this. who is sick of this football culture in Britain and who wishes people would stop assuming that they, as young British males, should be interested in the sport?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your at the gym - do you expect healthy, young, athletic people to be discussing World of Warcraft?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    just workout closer to the squat rack

footballers/football fans don't do leg work

also, 'lads' mag'-esque chatter increases with proximity to the smith machine
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    because you're a young british male. I bet more like it than don't.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Football is widely very popular in Britain and, indeed, the world. It's perfectly conceivable that someone wishing to start an innocuous conversation would come up and try to engage you on football, given its ability to get fans talking (and given the number of fans). It's a slightly more interesting version of the "so, that weather eh?" conversation, and something that generally initiates a longer conversation than the aforementioned.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're not the only one. I take a passing interest in the family team, but I don't make a point of watching games...so when I talk to a friend who is a die-hard supporter of said team I'm usually left with not much to say!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But they don't. The question is, why are you pretending that you believe everyone expects you to be interested in football?
    The answer is, because you're a rep whore.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    i am FAR from a fan of football (hate it) but if others want to follow it then let them! who are you to moan about them for liking it??!?!? they are just trying to be friendly and start a conversation with you, i really don't see the problem! they don't have some kind of ulterior motive, they don't want to "convert" you.. it's just a bit of small talk! if you DO know a bit about football then go along with it, if you don't just say you don't really watch it and talk about something else!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notethis)
    But they don't. The question is, why are you pretending that you believe everyone expects you to be interested in football?
    The answer is, because you're a rep whore.
    nail on head
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a stereotype. Plus if you go to the gym you're obviously the more sporty type so even more likely to be interested in football.

Having said that my boyfriend is a bit of a couch potato but since christmas has been going to the gym once or twice a week. But he doesn't like football. I don't even know if he could name 5 premier league footballers!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They're just trying to make conversation.

I don't really see what's not to like about football to be honest.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well why don't you bring up another subject if you don't like that then?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Men who don't like football are not men.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    just workout closer to the squat rack

footballers/football fans don't do leg work

also, 'lads' mag'-esque chatter increases with proximity to the smith machine
    Yeah, in lifting circles it's kind of seen as uncool by some to be into football, for some reason.

**** that, I squat plenty and I love football.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the OP, I hate football. I have never liked it and it has never appealed to me even when I was little. What annoys the **** out of me is when other people, mostly males, look at me like I'm some kind of social leper for not taking an interest in gawping and shouting at a TV screen showing overpaid twentysomething men chase a ball. We idolise and worship these men like gods because (apparently) they are some kind of bastion and symbol of masculinity and coolness, simply for being able to kick a ball into a net. In answer to your original question, I don't know why, but yes it certainly does annoy the **** out of me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So..

Who's going to win the Manchester Derby?

My moneys on the reds.
    COME ON UNITED!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "You don't like football?!"

"You a poof or summin', mate?"

Ha ha... Ironic bigotry.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I get this all the time and it is extremely annoying. It happened to me just before going under the surgeon's knife. As soon as I mention 'St Helens', it's: "Saints played well, didn't they?"

I don't give a damn about Saints! Please don't ask me about Saints. Instead, why don't you ask me what flavour of toothpaste I prefer? Yes, do that instead.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    btw

theres nothing wrong with not liking football.. i know plenty of lads who don't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    gloooory glory many uniiiiiited gloooooooooory gloory manu uniiiiited glooory glooory man uniitedd

and the reds go marching on!

United <3

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 8, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.