Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can guys and girls really be 'just friends'?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Can a man and a woman be just 'best/very close friends'?
    I'm a Girl - Yes they can
    37.55%
    I'm a Girl - No they can't
    8.86%
    I'm a Boy - Yes they can
    35.44%
    I'm a Boy - No they can't
    18.14%

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes. But only if the girl is unattractive to me, sorry
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah in practice, but one or both probably want to do the other.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes..but rarely.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    i never had any close close girl friends, well we have a group of people that we hang out a lot but i would jump easily any of the girls if they'd like so i guess thats not considered very strong friendship
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no.. was good friends with this girl for 4 years before we realised we loved each other then dated, messed it up and now we don't talk anymore lmao >.<
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    what would be the point?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    no.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What does "just friends" mean?
    Guys, for the most part, aren't in friendships so they can ask you out - they are friends with you, because they enjoy being friends and don't have some secret agenda. Finding someone sexually attractive doesn't mean you can't have a meaningful non-romantic relationship with them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I noticed girls always generally say yes when asked if guys and girls can be friends, but guys generally say no. I cant speak from a female point of view, but as a male, yes we can be friends and I have been friends for years with some. But if there was an opportunity to go sexually with any of my girl mates, I would definitely take it. Guys will **** a millions girls per day if they had the opportunity but let just say that its the girl that make sure its at the 'friends level'.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you can, especially with someone such as a neighbour you grew up with, or a person you work with.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    Easily. The world has a population of 7 billion, you are not going to fancy every guy you interact with, so that means that you could just be friends with several of them. I have a couple of male friends and that's all there is to it, it's fine, no chemistry, no "sexual tension", no awkwardness, it's the same as it is with my female friends. One of them keeps telling me to ask his friend out, actually. :lol:
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised by how many people are saying no.

I personally find guys much easier to get along with and have quite a lot of male friends, and only about 2 girls who I'd consider to be a friend.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    An old discussion in the film "When Harry meet Sally". Hmm in my opinion yes, they can, but occasionally with some sexual impluses.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, why do you even need to ask?
    I have loads of male friends.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course. Most of my friends are male. Also, just because you would have sex with them if you could doesn't mean you aren't friends Although I know none of my (all male) housemates feel that way about me. Thankfully!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why gay lads and girls are the perfect combination I have more guy friends that female friends and most of the female friends I have are bi or lesbian :lol: I think only 2 of them are straight but all of them act more like lads than girls
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Of course. Most of my friends are male. Also, just because you would have sex with them if you could doesn't mean you aren't friends Although I know none of my (all male) housemates feel that way about me. Thankfully!
    naive.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Example: I get on with the guys in halls, I have no underlying feelings towards them.

Then again some guys and girls might view everyone of the opposite sex as a potential partner, I think it depends on the person
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    naive.
    Not in any way, we are all really close. I've lived with them for 3 years, and they have previously responded to people joking about us getting together with comparing me to both a man and their sister.
    Guys don't want to sleep with every girl they are friends with, people who think otherwise just do not have close enough female friends to know that this can happen.

I think you are the naive one.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. Personally I always ending up think some sort of feel that I like the person in the end. My personal view.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

Waiting for your grades? Let off some steam in our results chat megathread

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.