The Student Room Group
University of Bedfordshire | Outside Campus Centre
University of Bedfordshire
Luton
Visit website

March intake nursing Bedfordshire

Has anyone applied for nursing at Bedfordshire this year and been given a March start date instead of the requested September 2012?
I applied in good time and am the only one on my access course this has happened to.:frown:
Reply 1
Maybe you should contact the Uni, seems like a mistake to me.
University of Bedfordshire | Outside Campus Centre
University of Bedfordshire
Luton
Visit website
Reply 2
This happened to me too, I applied in really good time for the intake in September :frown: Was told that all September spaces have been filled and will only be offered to start in Sept if a place becomes available at short notice. I'm kind of desperate to get going with it as i'm sure you are too but on the bright side it gives us more time to save money! Have you firmed your offer?
Reply 3
Hi bradders
I have got back to the uni who told me on the phone it was because of numbers. I thought about this and wondered how they chose who got March and who got September (like you I had applied early). I rang back and was told that the stronger candidates had been given September. I was a bit upset by this as I had worked incredilbly hard on my Access course getting nearly all Distinctions. I then asked for feedback in writing and received it but it said I hadn't answered questions abouit the role and attributes of the midwife as well as others.

I wrote back and pointed out that I had not applied for midwifery. They then wrote back and simply changed the word midwife for nurse. as you know we weren't asked any questions about the role or attributes of a nurse. I have left it at that for now and have been told that like you I will be offered a Sept start if a place becomes available at short notice.

Apparently they have never had a March intake before. I would rather start in September as I am a mature student and have already spent 2 years doing the access course. I did confirm my offer and I recall the date to do that by was June 9th so wonder how they can possibly say there are no places.
Reply 4
I have my interview on the 16th June for Adult Nursing but mine is the degree programme, and I enquired about the September intake and they told me no I was still down for September intake and if my interview is successful that's when I will start.
Reply 5
Hi there

Thanks for the reply,I am also doing the degree B740 D.

I just rang the admissions department who were very reluctant to tell me there had been an interview on Saturday. The lady told me that everyone; the late candidates and people like myself on waiting lists will be considered equally for the places and that people interviewed on 16th June may or may not get a place for September. It seems there are still places in September yet I am left with a March start date I don't want.

Hope the interview went well for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Hello,

Yeh, the interview went really well and they seemed pleased with my answers, so I am hoping I get a place I personally would not be bothered if it was September or March I would just be grateful I had been offered a place. We had a presentation, and the lady told us that we might not get September and will be offered March if not though there are places still for the September intake.
Reply 7
Just been offered a unconditional offer :biggrin: I am starting in September.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I feel pretty let down by all the universities I have been in contact with with regards to their poor communication. Sounds like they need to get their story straight! I'm also a mature student and so completely understand wanting to start ASAP, it seems really unfair to say that the stronger candidates will be offered the September intake first -surely a place is a place and they would want to spread the skill mix across the two intakes? I've got good A levels and a couple of years working in healthcare under my belt and without wanting to sound big headed I was confident I was making a strong application :frown:

Do you know which campus you'll be studying at? And will you be staying in student accommodation?
Reply 9
Original post by bradders21
I feel pretty let down by all the universities I have been in contact with with regards to their poor communication. Sounds like they need to get their story straight! I'm also a mature student and so completely understand wanting to start ASAP, it seems really unfair to say that the stronger candidates will be offered the September intake first -surely a place is a place and they would want to spread the skill mix across the two intakes? I've got good A levels and a couple of years working in healthcare under my belt and without wanting to sound big headed I was confident I was making a strong application :frown:

Do you know which campus you'll be studying at? And will you be staying in student accommodation?

I can understand your frustrations that you feel that every candidate should be treated equally in terms of it being a mix of both stronger candidates, and less strong candidates (I don't like the term weak candidates) but from past experiences at already being at university for two-years previous this does not always work out simply because its easier to for a group of candidates who are of the same or similar level to progress together without leaving some people behind simply because they need that extra help, and visa versa? (Hope that made sense)
I selected Luton as my campus selection, and have not been told any different I will also be living in halls of residence. You mentioned that you're a mature student I would strongly urge you to live in the halls of residence, to mix with the younger students simply because its easier to make friends that way, and feel a lot more included because more often than not I have noticed mature students sitting by themselves, and not mixing with the other students.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Ahh, when you put it like that it does make a lot more sense! I will definitely be living in halls as I live 2 hours away from Luton and like you say, it's important to feel included or else i'd have a hard time enjoying the three years.

I phoned the Student Village about arranging accommodation and was told to phone them back two weeks before I need a room! Compared to my friend's nightmares of trying to find places to live at their university sites, it seems far too simple! Have you had the same advice?
Reply 11
Hi all

I have now been offered a place for September!
I got an email last Friday.

Really don't understand how these things are decided.
@Bradders I'm sure it's to do with numbers and money not your ability.
The old nursing diploma would normally have run in March so I guess they have tutors all in place and just thought they could double the degree intake. It's never happened before see.

I am a very mature student but will make the effort to mix with everyone.
Reply 12
Original post by earlysound
Just been offered a unconditional offer :biggrin: I am starting in September.

earlysound... I know you're probably upto your eyeballs with work already but just curious about how you're finding the university and the course so far? Same question to you Ailslou? Hope you're both enjoying it so far :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest