The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Biology Unit 1 June 12- 14th of May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by bertiejess
do we need to know about apolipoproteins A B and E?

Nope, never heard of that in my life.
Reply 141
Hey guys, you know the diagram on pg 89 of the orange textbook, and pg 38 of the pink revision guide - do we need to know it? i dont get it at all!!!
Reply 142
Good Luck to Everyone, Hope you all do well.:smile:
Reply 143
Original post by dineshn
Hey guys, you know the diagram on pg 89 of the orange textbook, and pg 38 of the pink revision guide - do we need to know it? i dont get it at all!!!

if you mean mutation, no.
Reply 144
Original post by Fisheh
if you mean mutation, no.

yh the CF mutation and ATP blah blah... thanks a lot, thats a relief
Can anyone explain translation process in steps?
I understood transcription completely but have no idea what to write if question is asked and have 3-5 marks. I couldn't find any past paper which asked translation. What should I write if the question is asked?
Reply 146
1. A ribosome attaches to the mRNA at an initiation codon. The ribosome encloses 2 codons. tRNA with specific amino acid attached diffuses to the ribosome and the anticodon on the tRNA attaches to the mRNA start codon by complementary base pairing.
2. The next tRNA and amino acid combination attaches to the adjacent mRNA codon.
3. The bond between the tRNA and amino acid is cut and a peptide bond is formed between the two Amino acids. The free tRNA molecule leaves to collect another amino acid.
4. The ribosome moves along one codon so that a new amino acid and tRNA combination can attach. The polypeptide chain elongates one amino acid a time, and peels away from the ribosome folding up into a protein as it goes. This continues until a stop codon is reached.

The main function of the ribosome is to hold the mRNA molecule so that antacodons of tRNA can pair with complementary codons of mRNA. This brings amino acids to lie adjacent to each other so that peptide bonds can be formed.
Reply 147
Original post by YellowAndBlack
Who took edexcel IGCSE biology last year?

I took it. Paper 1 was the worst paper I've ever seen. I should've got an A* but paper 1 messed up my resut. I ended up with an A.
Reply 148
All nighterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Reply 149
Original post by dineshn
dude you do need to know bout the cftr mutation !!
Reply 150
guyz can you plz explain me the 3 experiments we need to know for today .. i lost the papers after unit 3 !!! help ! =/
Reply 151
Original post by danger-.-
dude you do need to know bout the cftr mutation !!

Yh i know but i just dont understand that diagram
Reply 152
didnt sleep well at all last night...
Reply 153
guyz can you plz explain me the 3 experiments we need to know for today .. i lost the papers after unit 3 !!! help ! =/

beetroot experiment for membrane permiability, effect of temperature and alcohol
yu know the steps right?the explanation is as yu increase temperature permiability increases as phospholipid molecules move faster and the perm increases, and if the temperature in the graph is above 40 degree and they ask yu to explain the significnt increase, answer tht this temp might melt down the phospholipid part and the protiens in the membrane deform inscreasing the perm significantly
alcohol dissolve the lipid part increasing permiability

daphnia experiment , effect of caffeine on its heart rate
and the vitamine C, dcpip experiment
Reply 154
Original post by amr9595
beetroot experiment for membrane permiability, effect of temperature and alcohol
yu know the steps right?the explanation is as yu increase temperature permiability increases as phospholipid molecules move faster and the perm increases, and if the temperature in the graph is above 40 degree and they ask yu to explain the significnt increase, answer tht this temp might melt down the phospholipid part and the protiens in the membrane deform inscreasing the perm significantly

how do u know its definitely these 3?
Reply 155
i need past papers 2009 ! may n june plz =p !
Reply 156
Original post by amr9595

mm .. =$ man actually i need the steps .. atleast for the vitamine c thingy ! thanks allot though =)
Reply 157
mm .. =$ man actually i need the steps .. atleast for the vitamine c thingy ! thanks allot though =)

what about this, its not steps, but gives an overview on it.
Reply 158
i need past papers 2009 ! may n june plz =p !

Here you go, they are also on the edexcel website.
My paper is at 9 today. Any help before that would be appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending