The Student Room Group

I can't cope with uni work, feel useless :(

Possibly not the right forum, but I need some help and I'd really really like to stay anon.
I'm in my third year at a good university and am one of those people who's always managed to get good marks without putting too much effort in- I made it through first and second years with 1sts and high 2:1s, but this year has gotten ridiculous and I'm not sure I can do it any more. For the whole of this year I've been doing modules I've been really interested in, I've spent SO much time reading around the topics and researching for essays (far more time than I've ever spent studying before), I even stayed at uni over Christmas just to prepare for the next semester, and yet my grades are falling and falling. I had a massive piece of coursework due recently that was worth 50% of the module mark, I spent weeks and weeks reading around the topic and spoke to my lecturer about ideas etc., and it still came back as one of the lowest marks I've ever gotten.
I have another essay due now and I'm being completely rubbish - I've been sitting here at the computer crying all morning because I can't see the point in starting it, as I see it now there's no point in putting loads of effort in because it's going to turn out rubbish anyway. Exams are coming up soon and I just don't see the point in studying anymore, I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm terrified of studying really hard and failing anyway- just having to slowly come to terms with the fact that I'm not really good at my degree subject and taking it was probably a silly idea.
Someone reassure/motivate me? Please? :frown:
I would talk to your personal tutor or course leader (or both) about how you've been feeling. They're in the best position to reassure you and offer advice as to how to improve your marks :yes:

:console:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Possibly not the right forum, but I need some help and I'd really really like to stay anon.
I'm in my third year at a good university and am one of those people who's always managed to get good marks without putting too much effort in- I made it through first and second years with 1sts and high 2:1s, but this year has gotten ridiculous and I'm not sure I can do it any more. For the whole of this year I've been doing modules I've been really interested in, I've spent SO much time reading around the topics and researching for essays (far more time than I've ever spent studying before), I even stayed at uni over Christmas just to prepare for the next semester, and yet my grades are falling and falling. I had a massive piece of coursework due recently that was worth 50% of the module mark, I spent weeks and weeks reading around the topic and spoke to my lecturer about ideas etc., and it still came back as one of the lowest marks I've ever gotten.
I have another essay due now and I'm being completely rubbish - I've been sitting here at the computer crying all morning because I can't see the point in starting it, as I see it now there's no point in putting loads of effort in because it's going to turn out rubbish anyway. Exams are coming up soon and I just don't see the point in studying anymore, I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm terrified of studying really hard and failing anyway- just having to slowly come to terms with the fact that I'm not really good at my degree subject and taking it was probably a silly idea.

I'm feeling the same, remember this is about your future, the career you want to work towards.
Reply 3
Go talk to your tutor, or your course leader. Talk to the people marking your work, and ask them how you can improve.

Regarding your essay, calm down, get a cup of tea/hot chocolate, relax for a bit, and go back to it.
Reply 4
It's probably just one of those times, to test yourself if you really want to be doing this, or not. Maybe you should take some time out and just go through everything, because if it isn't what you want to do, it's never too late to change, however, if it IS what you want to do, and all you need is a little motivation, then keep this quote in your head, it's always helped me -
'to get something you've never had you've got to be willing do push yourself to where you've never gone before' as long as you try, and say IF you do screw it up, then you can't say 'what if i did this..' you'll know you tried your best, you only fail if you don't try! :smile: GOOD LUCK! I believe in you! :smile:
Reply 5
What subject are you doing?

Obviously your tutor is your best point of call. Take the work you are not happy with with you.
If I were you, I'd go back and find out why your piece of coursework didn't do as well as you'd have liked it to. Listen carefully to what your lecturer says about it, find out what you were doing wrong. It sounds like you're working incredibly hard, so it's clearly not a case of motivation or lack of understanding. Perhaps there's something wrong with your technique, something holding you back? Exams and coursework are less about what you know and more to do with how well you can fit what you know around the specification they give you (although they're better at University, granted). Play the game, even if it feels wrong.

Also have a nice cup of tea. Brew it, sit down with some music or something to read/watch, and enjoy the cup of tea. Drink it while it's still hot and it'll make you feel so much better (I prefer to skimp on the sugar, personally). </shameless plugging of tea>

If you want a chat then feel free to PM me or something.
Original post by HeraXD
It's probably just one of those times, to test yourself if you really want to be doing this, or not. Maybe you should take some time out and just go through everything, because if it isn't what you want to do, it's never too late to change, however, if it IS what you want to do, and all you need is a little motivation, then keep this quote in your head, it's always helped me -
'to get something you've never had you've got to be willing do push yourself to where you've never gone before' as long as you try, and say IF you do screw it up, then you can't say 'what if i did this..' you'll know you tried your best, you only fail if you don't try! :smile: GOOD LUCK! I believe in you! :smile:

I like that quote :smile:.

OP, if it's any consolation then I feel the same - and loads of other people do too. I'm currently battling my way through a dissertation that I'm competely and utterly confused with. I constantly doubt my own ability and I just feel like my exams are too soon. But, like you I'm a third year - we only have a month or two left (assuming you are doing a 3 year degree?). I'm not willing to give up on this when I've spent the last 3 years slaving away at it - all those exams I've sat, every piece of coursework I've done, every lecture, every seminar - I didn't do all of that to just give up at the final hurdle and walk away with nothing.

I absolutely hate uni right now and I'm unispired by the work but I'm not giving in because it will mean all of the struggling for the last 3 years will have been for nothing.

All I can adivise you is to keep going, talk to your tutor, don't give up. I hope you get your degree :smile:.
Don't worry i felt/feel exactly the same. I'm in the third year too and my marks have been pretty crappy all year but for me/you the best thing to do it take a day off, chill out do something fun and relax a bit and then come back to your work with a fresh head. Also make a plan of what work you have to do and ticking them off is such a good feelings. I've just got one presentation left then exams and the most stressful time of my life has been the past few weeks but i have a huge sense of achievement having handed in loads of work and my final project. Just keep going, there isn't long left and you will get there:smile:
Reply 9
I don't have a lot to add as the previous advice given already has been really good, but I just wanted to say, don't worry, you're not alone!!!!

I sometimes get very upset about the fact I am working so hard yet sometimes the results don't always reflect that, and when you're used to getting high marks it's very difficult to deal with. There's nothing wrong with allowing yourself to get upset about it and let your feelings out, but then I always think afterwards...'right, time to pick myself up and get going again'. It's SO hard to do when you feel like you're just not achieving anything, but believe in yourself, because you're in a rut at the moment. You're capable, and whenever you feel like you're going to get upset again, I just try to think calm down, getting upset means I'm just spending even more time not working/getting my head around it which is what I need to do.

Talking it through with someone on a personal level will help you get your feelings out of your system, then talking to someone on an academic level afterwards can help you try to discover where things just aren't quite working for you so you can try to rectify them.

Keep going!!! Not long now, just one final push then we'll both have finished!
Reply 10
OP, I highly suggest you watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSYtQy9EqTA&list=FLlO0pbYrZZnlBoWt1Wx8jvQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Then go smash that assignment :smile:
Do you know where you went wrong with your last piece of coursework?

I can only empathise, rather than help I'm afraid. I've also been one of those people who doesn't have to work hard to achieve really good marks...and then suddenly at the end of my second year it's like something snapped and suddenly I can't do it anymore. I went from being top of my year in first year, to getting a frankly average 2.i. in my degree overall, despite doing my dissertation on what I love more than anything.

This year I'm doing a masters in a subject which fascinates me and I adore. Yet my coursework has barely been scraping 60% in many cases. I've got deadlines coming up in less than 4 weeks, and all I can do is cry at the computer. My dissertation in the summer seems like a pointless essay, because if I can't do well on 2,500 words, how am I supposed to do it on 20,000?

I joke that I peaked in first year. Some poeple get better with education but I've done my best so it's only downhill from here :p:

I think you've just got to try and think positively. Look at work you did well in and try to identify the features that made it so good - clarity, independent thought...etc.
I often find that the coursework I do the most work for, and am the most interested in..my work is less clear. I get over excited about what I'm saying and my work loses the clarity it has on pieces that I'm having to think about every word because I don't really understand what I'm talking about.

Just a thought. Speak to a tutor, explain your worries...I'm sure they'll help give you a confidence boost.
Reply 12
Original post by fredscarecrow

I often find that the coursework I do the most work for, and am the most interested in..my work is less clear. I get over excited about what I'm saying and my work loses the clarity it has on pieces that I'm having to think about every word because I don't really understand what I'm talking about.

Just a thought. Speak to a tutor, explain your worries...I'm sure they'll help give you a confidence boost.

This is exactly what I think - it seems the less work I put in, the higher marks I get, but that's really weird :s-smilie:
Thanks everyone for your replies. It's a politics course, and I'm at uni in Scotland so its 4 years, unfortunately I'm not almost free yet!
This is exactly what I think - it seems the less work I put in, the higher marks I get, but that's really weird :s-smilie:
Thanks everyone for your replies. It's a politics course, and I'm at uni in Scotland so its 4 years, unfortunately I'm not almost free yet!

I often had to tell myself that my history degree wasn't teaching me history - I could do that myself by reading a book - it was teaching me how to read and write history. That means when you do less work - and you're more succinct and clear - you're actually achieving the requirements for the marks more than when you ramble on excitedly about all this stuff you know and how excited you are about it.
It's about jumping through hoops - and sometimes those hoops aren't where you think they are.
Reply 14
Original post by fredscarecrow
I often had to tell myself that my history degree wasn't teaching me history - I could do that myself by reading a book - it was teaching me how to read and write history. That means when you do less work - and you're more succinct and clear - you're actually achieving the requirements for the marks more than when you ramble on excitedly about all this stuff you know and how excited you are about it.
It's about jumping through hoops - and sometimes those hoops aren't where you think they are.

Well you've just solved my issues.

I study politics and history and love my course. I just get a topic and dive in and read **** loads of books and journals and then struggle to fit it all into 3000 words or whatever. Not that it's not clear, just yeah. I keep telling myself that I'm really doing this to learn, but getting little reward for my work is depressing.

In a world in which everyone seems to think that unifying and simplifying can solve everything, so students around you seem happy, getting along about fine and doing the extra mile - having girlfriends, boyfriends, laughing and spending time with friends going to the cinema. But your stuck and the feeling becomes more and more bogged down because hopelessness and fear kicks in. Tutors, friends, people and anyone will tell you that they understand and you just got to try anyway its your future and job etc.. but how could you possibly believe in that anymore? Your losing grip, feeling like you're no longer yourself, slipping and without turning back making permanent marks in your life worsens the blow.

I can tell your falling, but a special kind, one where your unable to hear yourself hit rock bottom, you just keep going down and down till you can no longer hear yourself. All because nothing seem to supply you with what you really needed or that they just could not.
Once you get past all those exams, tests, fears and loneliness, bitterness and self hatred and a self pity, hating ....that kind of really down stuff...
gotta simply look and wait for it man, there you will find your dream, that same kid that was in sixth form, nursery and year 6 worked up as a man to get you here right where you are in which most people failed to. Truth is you were always worthy yet disbelief and insecurities kicked in and beat you to it, that's the problem they never stop only resisted and repelled by a wiser.
You're on no means alone on this kinda score, many other people your age feel the same way and have kept those memories behind, safe and locked away.

I wish you could see further than the position your in, just because things look bad right now, doesn't mean it can't get better, taking your life away, how could you possibly know it can't get any better? Why, you'd just let down your families, your future lover...all alone, your job placement and you as a person. A credit to this world, you may not possess the grades for this test, this exam but that doesn't mean your a ****e person. It means you need to approach studying differently. People will tell you to try harder but what if you can not? What if doing more is just not good enough... your stuck and like any other adult, you have to decide what is it you really want from life? To play games for the rest of your life, some dead end job that makes you just like the rest of them? Or do you want out? Go on holidays, have sex, walk that night lit road with your lover and tell her how life looks brilliant that night, i can see it..can you? You need to find a determination, something that just makes you explode with adrenaline the will to learn...for me..love sometimes work.

listen to california gurls by bruno mars whlist reading this. concentrate on the slow and sad rhythm ..you need to find that inner memory, that anger and release it all in one go. until then your trapped and like a injured bird...can no longer fly ..represent the earth's tradgedies,, fly my friend...once again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ChargerHelper
In a world in which everyone seems to think that unifying and simplifying can solve everything, so students around you seem happy, getting along about fine and doing the extra mile - having girlfriends, boyfriends, laughing and spending time with friends going to the cinema. But your stuck and the feeling becomes more and more bogged down because hopelessness and fear kicks in. Tutors, friends, people and anyone will tell you that they understand and you just got to try anyway its your future and job etc.. but how could you possibly believe in that anymore? Your losing grip, feeling like you're no longer yourself, slipping and without turning back making permanent marks in your life worsens the blow.

I can tell your falling, but a special kind, one where your unable to hear yourself hit rock bottom, you just keep going down and down till you can no longer hear yourself. All because nothing seem to supply you with what you really needed or that they just could not.
Once you get past all those exams, tests, fears and loneliness, bitterness and self hatred and a self pity, hating ....that kind of really down stuff...
gotta simply look and wait for it man, there you will find your dream, that same kid that was in sixth form, nursery and year 6 worked up as a man to get you here right where you are in which most people failed to. Truth is you were always worthy yet disbelief and insecurities kicked in and beat you to it, that's the problem they never stop only resisted and repelled by a wiser.
You're on no means alone on this kinda score, many other people your age feel the same way and have kept those memories behind, safe and locked away.

I wish you could see further than the position your in, just because things look bad right now, doesn't mean it can't get better, taking your life away, how could you possibly know it can't get any better? Why, you'd just let down your families, your future lover...all alone, your job placement and you as a person. A credit to this world, you may not possess the grades for this test, this exam but that doesn't mean your a ****e person. It means you need to approach studying differently. People will tell you to try harder but what if you can not? What if doing more is just not good enough... your stuck and like any other adult, you have to decide what is it you really want from life? To play games for the rest of your life, some dead end job that makes you just like the rest of them? Or do you want out? Go on holidays, have sex, walk that night lit road with your lover and tell her how life looks brilliant that night, i can see it..can you? You need to find a determination, something that just makes you explode with adrenaline the will to learn...for me..love sometimes work.

listen to california gurls by bruno mars whlist reading this. concentrate on the slow and sad rhythm ..you need to find that inner memory, that anger and release it all in one go. until then your trapped and like a injured bird...can no longer fly ..represent the earth's tradgedies,, fly my friend...once again.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too melodramatic...

Quick Reply

Latest