The Student Room Group

FP3 (Not MEI) - Friday June 1 2012, AM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ElMoro
For the June 11 paper, question 5 part ii: why must k = -1? :colondollar:

EDIT: Nevermind, I was being an idiot :facepalm2:

For anyone who is not clear, this is so that it is in the form.

dydx+yg(x)=f(x)\frac{dy}{dx} + yg(x) = f(x)

If k1 k \not= -1 then on the RHS it is a function of u as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 61
Yeah, I think question 3 follows on from one as one is proving a specific element is self inverse, and three all of them.

I'm just going to hope that these kind of questions are either nice or not prominent in the exam tommorow...
Reply 62
For this question part (ii)

How is that first step justified; surely they're assuming the result there? :confused:
Reply 63
Original post by ElMoro
For this question part (ii)

How is that first step justified; surely they're assuming the result there? :confused:

For 3. ii) ?
They have removed the left x and the right y, to end up with yxyxyxy...yxyxyxy... in the middle, or (yx)n1(yx)^{n-1}.
Reply 64
write (xy)^n as xyxyxyxyxyxyxyxyxy and then take and x from the front and a y from the back and you are left with x(yxyxyxyxyxyxyxyxyx)y or x(yx)^n-1y
Reply 65
Original post by Killjoy-
For 3. ii) ?
They have removed the left x and the right y, to end up with yxyxyxy...yxyxyxy... in the middle, or (yx)n1(yx)^{n-1}.

Ohhhhh, I get it! Thank you! :biggrin:

Don't think i could think of that in an exam tbh :colondollar:

EDIT: Unfortunately, I've repped you too recently :sad:
Reply 66
Original post by ElMoro
Ohhhhh, I get it! Thank you! :biggrin:

Don't think i could think of that in an exam tbh :colondollar:

EDIT: Unfortunately, I've repped you too recently :sad:

That's alright.
Did you see my response to the question you asked about the roots on the tan equation?
Reply 67
Page 318 q12. Anyone care to help..?:cool:
Reply 68
12a)

(3035)×(453)(453)\frac{\begin{pmatrix} 30 \\ -3 \\ - 5 \end{pmatrix} \times \begin{pmatrix} 4 \\ -5 \\ - 3 \end{pmatrix}}{|\begin{pmatrix} 4 \\ -5 \\ - 3 \end{pmatrix}|}

Length = 22

12b)

Length of AB = 22
Length of OA = 934\sqrt{934}
length of OB = 934222\sqrt{934 - 22^2}

Length of OB is a multiple of the direction vector
450=t50[br]t=3[br]B=(12159)\sqrt{450} = t\sqrt{50}[br]t=3[br]B = \begin{pmatrix} 12 \\ -15 \\ - 9 \end{pmatrix}
Reply 69
Original post by SecondHand
12a)

(3035)×(453)(453)\frac{\begin{pmatrix} 30 \\ -3 \\ - 5 \end{pmatrix} \times \begin{pmatrix} 4 \\ -5 \\ - 3 \end{pmatrix}}{|\begin{pmatrix} 4 \\ -5 \\ - 3 \end{pmatrix}|}

Length = 22

12b)

Length of AB = 22
Length of OA = 934\sqrt{934}
length of OB = 934222\sqrt{934 - 22^2}

Length of OB is a multiple of the direction vector
450=t50[br]t=3[br]B=(12159)\sqrt{450} = t\sqrt{50}[br]t=3[br]B = \begin{pmatrix} 12 \\ -15 \\ - 9 \end{pmatrix}

Cheers - that's a very swish way of working out the position vector of B!
Reply 70
Is anyone else feeling majorly underprepared? :frown:
Reply 71
You have to be confident going in or there is no way you will be confident going out.
Reply 72
...who on earth is confident going out of an exam? :s-smilie:
Reply 73
That's alright.
Did you see my response to the question you asked about the roots on the tan equation?

Yep I did. Thanks for that as well :h: (sorry I thought I replied to it before :colondollar:)
Reply 74
Original post by Ree69
...who on earth is confident going out of an exam? :s-smilie:

I am for economics never maths tho :frown:
I'm just hoping the groups questions are relatively friendly :P
Reply 76
Jan 12 Q6iii. I've got the answer but I'm not quite sure why it makes sense. Could someone explain this to me?
Reply 77
Original post by Ree69
Jan 12 Q6iii. I've got the answer but I'm not quite sure why it makes sense. Could someone explain this to me?

You know a plane can be expressed parametrically with two direction vectors that lie on it.
(These vectors cannot be parallel - cannot be the same.)

In part i) you were asked to indirectly find the normal to the plane.
Now recall that the vector product of two direction vectors will give a direction vector that is perpendicular to both of them.

So the vector product of the normal to the plane and the direction vector after lambda should give c.

For a vector equation of a plane the two direction vectors in the plane may or may not be perpendicular, but the normal is obviously perpendicular to both of them in all forms of the vector equation, since these vectors lie in the plane.

I think there was another method to find c in the MS but I can't remember - I used the one above when doing the paper since it seemed quicker.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
You know a plane can be expressed parametrically with two direction vectors that lie on it.
(These vectors cannot be parallel - cannot be the same.)

In part i) you were asked to indirectly find the normal to the plane.
Now recall that the vector product of two direction vectors will give a direction vector that is perpendicular to both of them.

So the vector product of the normal to the plane and the direction vector after lambda should give c.

For a vector equation of a plane the two direction vectors in the plane may or may not be perpendicular, but the normal is obviously perpendicular to both of them in all forms of the vector equation, since these vectors lie in the plane.

I think there was another method to find c in the MS but I can't remember - I used the one above when doing the paper since it seemed quicker.

Ahh... cheers
Good luck all for tomorrow morning!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending