Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What university? Physics - career in Banking

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have received 5 offers from my Universities to study Physics, i want to work in Banking really badly. these are my offers:

Loughborough
    Surrey
    Liverpool
    Sussex
    Queen Mary

Surrey have a course "Physics with Finance" i thought banks would look favorably towards this and i would enjoy it more however i don't think its much of a target university. A friend of mine (1st year economics BSc at Queen Mary) secured an internship with RBS, and people say Loughborough get alot of people into T2 investment banks.

Please help "Physics with finance" at Surrey or pure Physics at Loughborough/Queen mary!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Won't matter.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Regent)
    Won't matter.
    What do you mean? all the same or i have no chance?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bump i really need help deciding deadline is soon :confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They're all average universities. Each will get 1 or 2 exceptional graduates into front office banking each year, but none of them are particularly targeted. Just choose the university you prefer. Also to add, physics with finance is as good as physics. The banks don't care what degree you study as long as it isn't film studies or media studies etc; degrees like geography and english literature are fine.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace and Love)
    Bump i really need help deciding deadline is soon :confused:
    Firstly, don't base your university choice on what people say on a forum.

None of them will make it easy for you to get into banking as I'm sure you are aware but it doesn't mean its not possible from any of them and for that reason I'd pick the one you actually like.

I'd probably put Loughborough as the best university there and then Queen Mary's behind it as you may get some extra networking opportunities through being in London but I'd probably still take Loughborough.

Make sure wherever you go you get some good experience and some very good EC's to make your app stand out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamz0770)
    Firstly, don't base your university choice on what people say on a forum.

None of them will make it easy for you to get into banking as I'm sure you are aware but it doesn't mean its not possible from any of them and for that reason I'd pick the one you actually like.

I'd probably put Loughborough as the best university there and then Queen Mary's behind it as you may get some extra networking opportunities through being in London but I'd probably still take Loughborough.

Make sure wherever you go you get some good experience and some very good EC's to make your app stand out.
    thank you i agree that Loughborough is the best university however im actually interested in finance and so would personally prefer Surrey simply for the "Physics with Finance" option they offer. what did you mean by EC's?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know both Loughborough and Surrey do placement years, not sure about the rest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thank you i agree that Loughborough is the best university however im actually interested in finance and so would personally prefer Surrey simply for the "Physics with Finance" option they offer. what did you mean by EC's?
    Out of interest what has given you the interest in finance. I'm about to start a physics with one of the main career progressions being in finance. However I just have the stereotypical image on long boring hours where they demand your soul. Well paid though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayReg)
    Out of interest what has given you the interest in finance. I'm about to start a physics with one of the main career progressions being in finance. However I just have the stereotypical image on long boring hours where they demand your soul. Well paid though.
    to me honest most people who like Physics have your view, all my friends do at least i cant really explain it yes it is very long hours and lots of "boring" work depending on what you like, but ive always been interested in business, making money, the economy ect

i cant really explain it, i like Physics because of the challenge of understanding difficult theories and it makes you feel so smart, i like Finance because im interested in making money? lol sorry i couldnt give you a clear answer
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ive always been interested in business, making money, the economy ect

i cant really explain it, i like Physics because of the challenge of understanding difficult theories and it makes you feel so smart, i like Finance because im interested in making money? lol sorry i couldnt give you a clear answer
    No I am very similar in that respect. I am extremely money motivated Interested in shares/markets especially, business in general as well though. The only reason I didn't do economics A level/degree is because physics comes naturally and I hate essays.

Its comes from the fact that I don't really know what the finance jobs involve whatsoever. So all I've got to go off is the stereotype. So do you know what type of finance job you would want?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have received 5 offers from my Universities to study Physics, i want to work in Banking really badly. these are my offers:

Loughborough
    Surrey
    Liverpool
    Sussex
    Queen Mary

Surrey have a course "Physics with Finance" i thought banks would look favorably towards this and i would enjoy it more however i don't think its much of a target university. A friend of mine (1st year economics BSc at Queen Mary) secured an internship with RBS, and people say Loughborough get alot of people into T2 investment banks.

Please help "Physics with finance" at Surrey or pure Physics at Loughborough/Queen mary!!!!
    Firstly, you have just over another week to decide, so don't rush and pick the wrong one!
    Surrey have a very good record for employment (in fact the highest of all universities), especially so if you take a year in industry which they encourage. Don't go on hearsay, or what you've heard from other people unless it's substantiated.
    I personally wouldn't want to live in London, I don't know how you feel but maybe location could feature in your decision.
    In terms of getting a job in banking, I don't think doing finance in your degree along with physics will make much difference. My advice would be to choose the course that you like best. Don't decide to do 'physics with finance' just because you want to work in a bank, and then perhaps not enjoy the degree as much.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No I am very similar in that respect. I am extremely money motivated Interested in shares/markets especially, business in general as well though. The only reason I didn't do economics A level/degree is because physics comes naturally and I hate essays.

Its comes from the fact that I don't really know what the finance jobs involve whatsoever. So all I've got to go off is the stereotype. So do you know what type of finance job you would want?
    yh lol i didnt do economics because of essays i would love to to work in buying/selling shares or buying/selling anything? i want to be a trader though but ill settle for just about anything that pays big bucks
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go where ever you feel they teach physics the best.... and then try to get a 1st.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Loughborough
    Surrey
    Liverpool
    Sussex
    Queen Mary

i think it's better to go for straight physics, not physics and finance, physics is more numerate than finance. for the university, go for which ever has highest course requirements or go on uni stats and check out the career prospects for each course.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    The banks won't care whether its Physics or Physics and Finance. It will be the rest of your application that's important. EC's are extra curriculars as I said before to get into Front Office you will need a pretty exceptional record with both EC's and work experience.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamz0770)
    The banks won't care whether its Physics or Physics and Finance. It will be the rest of your application that's important. EC's are extra curriculars as I said before to get into Front Office you will need a pretty exceptional record with both EC's and work experience.
    What types of extra curricular do you mean? Like relevant ones (eg student investor/ young enterprise?) or anything like sport etc?

Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    And regarding EC's, how do you prove some of them? Can't most people just lie and pretend they did this and that etc when they really never?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What types of extra curricular do you mean? Like relevant ones (eg student investor/ young enterprise?) or anything like sport etc?

Thanks
    Obviously giving investing a go looks good because you're interested enough to try it out and think about markets in your spare time. Anything like starting a business, doing well at sport and most importantly getting involved in societies and holding a committee position looks good, as it just shows that you can study and do well whilst also excelling in other areas too.

The banks don't want you to just nerd out your studies, they expect you to be well rounded with interests and social/team working skills as well! The more experiences you have to bend around their competency questions, the better off you will be later on down the road.

Also yes I think some people do lie (or at least bend the truth to make it sound better) but when getting offers there is a pretty extensive check about where you have worked etc so don't try to trick the system by telling them something you haven't done, because you'll just be scared as hell later that they will find out. So saying "I worked at X and I added value by doing Y", they will usually check to see if you did work there, but they are unlikely to ever find out what you actually did, this is where most people say things that are based on truth but may not exactly be 100% right!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Yeah, for Spring weeks those kinds of things look good (assuming you did well). After that or if you're in your 2nd year it's more finance related competitions at university. Committee positions on university societies, sports team positions is always a favourite or generally anything that's impressive - The more finance based the better it is and whilst being the VP or Pres of the investment society is obviously impressive. Almost everyone seems to have something similar these days so on its own it hardly a game changer. As important as having good EC's is I would say that work experience is probably more important, although obviously harder to get without contacts.

(Original post by delasandro)
    And regarding EC's, how do you prove some of them? Can't most people just lie and pretend they did this and that etc when they really never?
    You don't. They can't really check for some things although obviously if they wanted to know if you're actually the 1st's football captain they could probably check with the uni and it's more than likely they'll have met you before if you're on a senior position in a committee. A lot of exaggeration does go on though although not much complete lying. Whatever you say will get questioned (Potentially heavily) at interview.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 5, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.