Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Scottish Local Elections - who are you giving your '1' to?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Who is getting your '1'?
    Scottish National Party (SNP)
    20.83%
    Scottish Liberal Democrats
    20.83%
    Scottish Conservatives
    33.33%
    Scottish Labour
    20.83%
    Other
    4.17%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Only five days to go till the local elections across the UK, but this is really aimed at fellow Scots who are using the Single Transferable Vote electoral system to elect their councillors in multi-member wards. I've wrote an essay on this thing. I hope casting a vote is as fun (I use that term in a humorous way, I'm not mad) as my experiences researching the electoral system.

Which party do you plan to give your first preference ('1')? If this site allowed multiple questions I would ask for second and third preferences in additional polls, but feel free to list which party is getting your '1', '2' and '3' next Thursday. I don't think we need any names of candidates.

Well I am planning to give my '1' to an SNP candidate (the highest located on the ballot paper) because this poor man has been mistreated by the 'SNP candidate' who has called him 'Your second SNP candidate' and given him a negligible amount of space on the literature. If people around here actually read the literature, then my first preference will come in handy for this candidate who will need all the help he can. That said, there was a funny situation in 2007 when two Labour candidates were put up in this ward. One was a multi-term councillor, and the other was a newbie. The newbie won, largely because her name was higher up on the ballot paper. So I'm hoping that the same happens here for the SNP, because the 'lead' candidate has acted like a real child. Labour have split up the ward between two candidates and asking for '1' each in their allocated area. SNP? No such thing, and I know for a fact the leading candidate has a hand in it. Here's to his failure.

My second preference will go to the Liberal Democrat because she is a very hard working councillor who managed to unseat a Labour councillor under the old FPTP electoral system. Also, it is a nice little 'Thank you' for being part of the SNP-Liberal Democrat coalition over the past five years which has been a big success based on a recent poll where 89% felt it had been a really good administration.

My third preference? I'm not convinced I'll be using it, but things can change.

Please let me know how you are planning to vote - I'm largely voting SNP first because I feel they have done a really good job over the past five years with my council, and the Liberal Democrats as my '2' because they helped make it happen. My council will be a closely fought one - last time it was basically a three way split between SNP, Labour and Liberal Democrats with a handful of Conservatives and former Communists.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't vote as i live in England but i am looking forward to the SNP crushing Labour and hoping that the Tory vote holds up well, at least when compared to Labour and the Liberal Democrats.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Can't vote as i live in England but i am looking forward to the SNP crushing Labour and hoping that the Tory vote holds up well, at least when compared to Labour and the Liberal Democrats.
    Amen to that! IF the SNP take Glasgow I would actually cry with joy. I'd bet on them taking majority control of my council, or if not missing out by a few seats. Currently the three big parties have roughly a third of the seats.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Um, it's not just Scots that can vote in the election. I'm an English student up here and I can vote. And the LD's, then Cons, then SNP, then Greens.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarveyCanis)
    Um, it's not just Scots that can vote in the election. I'm an English student up here and I can vote. And the LD's, then Cons, then SNP, then Greens.
    I'm very aware of that - I was using the term 'Scots' to encompass everyone who can vote in Scotland. Out of interest, what council area are you voting in?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley Baldwin)
    I'm very aware of that - I was using the term 'Scots' to encompass everyone who can vote in Scotland. Out of interest, what council area are you voting in?
    Stirlingshire I think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarveyCanis)
    Stirlingshire I think.
    Right next door to each other! I'm Fife myself, now that's going to be an interesting battleground considering the 'big three' have roughly a third of the seats each.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can understand people voting SNP as they have done well for Scotland and its a nice big "**** you" to the main parties.

But on the other hand the SNP have done much to heavily centralise power in Holyrood and take away power away from local bodies, so voting them to run these local bodies seems odd.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Alright Azog, nice to see a familiar face :P.

Surely in a centralised system its better to have the local bodies cooperating rather than opposing, though? An SNP government with a load of Labour councils is just going to centralise even more. Tbh I may or may not vote SNP, but it doesn't matter much, since pigs will fly over the frozen wastelands of Hell before Labour loses this seat.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I've never really understood the English Tory approach of 'bugger Labour'. Speaking as a Scottish Tory, I think we've got a far greater enemy in the SNP - a party which is at least as left-wing as Labour and more authoritarian in outlook. I, in fact, have the converse outlook: after all, Labour just want to steal my money; the SNP want to destroy my country.

Which is why, scarily enough, I gave a third preference to Labour in my postal ballot. First, of course, went Tory and second went to the Lib Dem candidate.

(Original post by Stanley Baldwin)
    I'm not a fan of that at all, something I notice our darling first minister has a tendency towards.

On another note, I've never liked the label 'Scot' - and I don't call myself one. It potentially has rather ethnic overtones which I don't feel comfortable with. I am Scottish.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azog 150)
    I can understand people voting SNP as they have done well for Scotland and its a nice big "**** you" to the main parties.
    The SNP are one of the main parties up here. Indeed, in Scottish Parliament terms, they are the main party.

But on the other hand the SNP have done much to heavily centralise power in Holyrood and take away power away from local bodies, so voting them to run these local bodies seems odd.
    I'm inclined to agree in many respects. That said, they have shaken things up in local government a bit - that Labour's hegemony is being challenged in some of the areas they've taken for granted for generations seems to have spurred them into a bit of action.

I don't think we're ever going to see increased powers for local authorities - or indeed local authorities reformed to the extent where they are fit for purpose - under either the SNP or Labour. I care a great deal about local government - and it's one of the things I'm very glad that the Tories and Lib Dems are pushing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No point in me voting as the SNP have zero chance of winning the elections where I live, and I'm not voting Labour or Conservative
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have family in Glasgow who were planning on voting SNP but have switched to Labour and the Greens because they feel the SNP want to win to simply further their agenda - especially with the comments regards stepping stones to independence. I know they are not the only ones in the city who are fed up with talk about referendums and independence in this local election campaign. I am voting first for the Scottish Greens, the rest I am unsure, probably decide in the booth! I am in Edinburgh, there is NO WAY Labour are getting my vote after this trams fiasco. I'm also not voting SNP for the trams fiasco. Who was the biggest champion in Edinburgh of the tram project? Step forward Kenny MacAskill. Who suddenly changed his position as soon as he got the selection for Edinburgh East? Could it be the same Kenny MacAskill? It could!

The project was a bad idea in the first place, and I won't claim Labour have covered themselves in glory with this - if anything they behaved even worse than the SNP group on the council with the Haymarket debacle. But let's not have the SNP weaselling out of their share of the blame.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NR09)
    No point in me voting as the SNP have zero chance of winning the elections where I live, and I'm not voting Labour or Conservative
    You live in Glasgow, right? I think the SNP stand a fair chance in Glasgow. They might not achieve a majority but they will definitely unseat Labour's majority. Anyway it's an STV voting system so you get to rank order the candidates to your preference.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Even though I am staunchly anti-independence, I really hope the SNP gives Labour a good *******ing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrewmc96)
    You live in Glasgow, right? I think the SNP stand a fair chance in Glasgow. They might not achieve a majority but they will definitely unseat Labour's majority. Anyway it's an STV voting system so you get to rank order the candidates to your preference.
    I actually live in East Renfrewshire, and from what I can tell the SNP have virtually no chance, it will be another Labour win.

It's all academic though as I'm still only 17, so I have no say either way!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azog 150)

I would love a totally decentralised Scotland - especially in a future independent state. But the primary merit of centralisation at the present moment is, in the case of the council tax freeze, is that it prevents certain local authorities from inflicting pain on the people who pay their council tax. I'd bet if the SNP didn't have the 'gun to the head' (to quote the soon to be ex-leader of GCC) of local authorities that council tax would be increased like crazy. I think it is perfectly acceptable that way if council tax remains frozen.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrewmc96)
    I swear the same thing was said about Holyrood 2011...

We shall see what happens. It would be a night that would top even last year if they managed to capture the three big councils. No.3 (Fife) is the most likely (seriously, on the Fife SNP facebook and twitter there are lots of mentions of 'SNP majority administration' which suggests a hell of a lot of confidence on their part) seeing how well they did last year in Fife, and also because they are basically already quite strong in the chambers. Edinburgh will probably see them increase their number of councillors quite significantly, and that won't compare to Glasgow. But as I say, if they have a good night these things will happen.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I've never really understood the English Tory approach of 'bugger Labour'. Speaking as a Scottish Tory, I think we've got a far greater enemy in the SNP - a party which is at least as left-wing as Labour and more authoritarian in outlook. I, in fact, have the converse outlook: after all, Labour just want to steal my money; the SNP want to destroy my country.

Which is why, scarily enough, I gave a third preference to Labour in my postal ballot. First, of course, went Tory and second went to the Lib Dem candidate.

From my prospective i am fairly neutral in the independence debate in the sense that i would rather that Scotland stayed but i do believe that it could survive fairly easily on its own. As such, the SNP crushing Labour in Scotland (where the Tory vote share is under 20% anyway) does not bother me (though i don't see them in the same authoritarian vein that you do).

Were i in Scotland then i would vote... 1) Tory, 2) Ukip (despite the fact i am pro-EU) and 3) Lib Dem (since the Scottish Lib Dems are further left than at Westminster this would mainly be tactical).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. Tories
    2. Lib Dems
    3. Labour

Alex Salmond and the SNP will not be getting a vote off of me, he is my MSP and done a terrible job so far, not giving a badgers bottom about my local area, just trying to force people into answering an ambiguous questions about flipping Independence... and as a staunch Unionist I obvs hate this. That being said, if they would stop spending all our money on trying to break up this union, and carry on their policies of free education/health care/care for the elderly, they would get my vote every time.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.