The Student Room Group

OCR English Literature F661

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bookwor4
i was quite the same as you, i didn't know what to do for context, what could you have said?
also, did anybody do Dorian Grey? i am worried i have hashed up both of them :frown:

I should have mentioned when it was wrote and other poems in his poems. But yeah, I'm mentally kicking myself for it.
What poet did you do?
Reply 141
Original post by HQazi
No, really. If what you wrote was good, they wont think twice about your handwritting, and anyways, you can't do anything now, just concentrate on iur other exams. Did you Dorian Gray?

nope frankenstein and thank you:smile: how did you find the exam?
Reply 142
Original post by HQazi
Did anyone do the The Picture of Dorian Gray?
Seems like I am the only one...

I did Dorian Gray :smile: I chose the art and life question, I included quite a bit on aestheticism and I didn't really know what to do about the critics so I just said 'Some critics would say...' etc... I think it went ok though. Which question did you choose?
Reply 143
Original post by HQazi
Did anyone do the The Picture of Dorian Gray?
Seems like I am the only one...

i did as well, but i think i did mine awfully , which one did you do?
Original post by katles
ahhhh SO glad that is over with! I personally thought poetry went better for me, for Mrs Dalloway the questions were SO broad and I had a mind blank and could hardly think of any quotes to relate to the question :frown: It sucks, I feel like I didn't get to prove my knowledge on the novel because there was soo much you could talk about.

Now to commence C2 revision!!

Edexcel maths? How'd you find C1 today? :O
Reply 145
I did Yeats and 'Turn of the Screw'.
I had been expecting 'Wild Swans at Coole' as it is just intrinsically Yeatsian. However, I wasn't keen on the question. I picked out some bits about ageing and linked it to EGB 'raving autumn shears blossom off the summers wreath'. Then the structure and the half rhymes to show regret linked to among school children. I did write more, but as to what, my mind has gone. I know something about abstract use of adjectives and something else about his unchanging love for Maud Gonne.

For 'Turn of the Screw' I disliked both questions but I went for the Governess as an unreliable narrator. Bad Move! It was the fact they said vulnerable and frightened, it made it quite a narrow question whilst giving you the perception it was much more open. I know I waffled on that one. But on the plus I crammed in about 7 critics quotes which were relevant to my discussion.

Anyone else choose TotS question b?
Original post by gingernat
Hmm...that didn't go too well for me. Perhaps it's just my pessimism kicking in, but I feel I could have done much better! the question for Frankenstein was relatively easy as well...

Now to start revising for my exam on Friday.
I think I just need a big ol' hug right now tbh :'/

Awwww, it's probably all going to be fine. The examiners are all students that cba to check critics or quotes, they'll just skin read it lol:P I'm sure you did ok ^^ *hugs*

Original post by blackraven
who did yeats and frankenstein?

Original post by aisha302
Did anyone do frankenstein ? or emily dickinson .

btw my handwriting was slightly messy but is it true ocr fail you cause of handwriting? getting really anxious and worried over it.

I did Yeats and Franky :smile:

And they better not care too much about handwriting lol, I had another 2 hour essay exam before, can barely feel my right hand :/
Reply 147
Original post by bookwor4
i did as well, but i think i did mine awfully , which one did you do?

I did part a. It was aweful. I never liked that book. though I had contextual reference, and quotes. But i thought i wasnt answering the question....:frown:
Original post by dlh
i did part a i included 1) ghost story vs physcological case study of the governess
2) ghosts appear on boundaries = gov's mental state
3) ambiguity surrounding various topics: sex, social class and Miles - represented in the ghosts to hide her reality of all these things
4) miles = henry james => his feelings are supressed eg his sexuality and his childhood

:smile: what did you write about?

i did similar stuff, the main things i mentioned were:
class boundaries, and how quint represents breaking them
relationships/sexual repression - how the governess was unable to have a relationship with the master due to class, but quint and miss jessel do
religion - when she gets to bly she forgets about her religion, (everytime she says shes not going to church she sees a ghost) / inner sin
Reply 149
Original post by Wonderstruck
I should have mentioned when it was wrote and other poems in his poems. But yeah, I'm mentally kicking myself for it.
What poet did you do?

browning as well, i wasn't prepared properly, wasn't sure what to say, still not tbh.
Reply 150
Original post by Boom533

C1 was okay (I think)
Original post by CJRO
I did Yeats and 'Turn of the Screw'.
I had been expecting 'Wild Swans at Coole' as it is just intrinsically Yeatsian. However, I wasn't keen on the question. I picked out some bits about ageing and linked it to EGB 'raving autumn shears blossom off the summers wreath'. Then the structure and the half rhymes to show regret linked to among school children. I did write more, but as to what, my mind has gone. I know something about abstract use of adjectives and something else about his unchanging love for Maud Gonne.

For 'Turn of the Screw' I disliked both questions but I went for the Governess as an unreliable narrator. Bad Move! It was the fact they said vulnerable and frightened, it made it quite a narrow question whilst giving you the perception it was much more open. I know I waffled on that one. But on the plus I crammed in about 7 critics quotes which were relevant to my discussion.

Anyone else choose TotS question b?

Yeah I similar to what you did for Yeats, not overly happy with the question but meh :smile: My points were the change in terms of ageing (good aspects of it) and ageing (bad aspects of it), compared those to poems where ageing is good and ageing is bad. Then I did the change shown thorough nature in the poem, talked about the swans changing their movement, general bs lol :P
Reply 152
Original post by Boom533
Awwww, it's probably all going to be fine. The examiners are all students that cba to check critics or quotes, they'll just skin read it lol:P I'm sure you did ok ^^ *hugs*

I did Yeats and Franky :smile:

And they better not care too much about handwriting lol, I had another 2 hour essay exam before, can barely feel my right hand :/

hahah my hand was aching after the exam i wrote too much! what question did you do for frankenstein?
Reply 153
Original post by Boom533

Nah, OCR, wooooh. C1 was actually alright and I managed to answer everything, I was in a much more relaxed state compared to English anyway. C2 and Stats are my WORST topics though.... :frown:
Reply 154
and btw are examiners trained with like handwriting are they used to reading handwriting:/

Don't worry about it, they'll be used to reading a lot of handwriting. I read an example paper from last year and I could hardly read the writing, yet it got an A. I highly doubt they'll just throw a paper aside if they can't really read it, my guess is that they will forward it to someone else or something :smile:
hahah my hand was aching after the exam i wrote too much! what question did you do for frankenstein?

Yeah same, that's always the issue with English :P I did the suffering one, pretty much every quote and critic I learnt could fit into that question, so I got a tonne of points for that one lol.

Which did you pick?

Original post by katles
Nah, OCR, wooooh. C1 was actually alright and I managed to answer everything, I was in a much more relaxed state compared to English anyway. C2 and Stats are my WORST topics though.... :frown:

LUcky, edexcel was much harder than usual :frown: English is my worst subject, dreading Bio and C2 though :frown: For stats if you do normal distribution/discrete random variables, check out maths247 on youtube, he has a lot of worked examples and explains how to do them all, soooo useful :smile:
Reply 156
nope frankenstein and thank you:smile: how did you find the exam?

Dickinson part was ok, good maybe becoz I was getting like B+ in my mocks for the past 6 weeks....Dorian Gray, god, it was so bad. Like real bad.
How was yours?
I had C1 today as well... :frown:
Original post by HQazi
C1 was okay (I think)

Couple of dodgy questions, was harder than past papers :frown:
Reply 158
Original post by HQazi
Dickinson part was ok, good maybe becoz I was getting like B+ in my mocks for the past 6 weeks....Dorian Gray, god, it was so bad. Like real bad.
How was yours?
I had C1 today as well... :frown:

i completely flunked dorian gray as well, didn't know which question to chose, ended up doing art and i said nothing for it really, couldn't get an argument :frown:
Reply 159
Original post by Boom533
Couple of dodgy questions, was harder than past papers :frown:

Question 9, part e.....talk about long questions! 15 marks....almost killed me. I counted my marks at the end, I always finish my paper early, even in the past papers. I think I will get around 60ish....I just want that A so bad coz I know S1 and C2 wud be worse than this....

Quick Reply

Latest