The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Linzikins
Yer it's a different problem to the one I originally posted about. It cost me £500 to fix that and now my head gaskets gone.

Oh well!

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread!

That is a right pain, sounds like the car has been a fair bit of trouble! My Astra was like that - a complete money pit. Live and learn I guess :smile:
I've just taken it to the garage and they said its a faulty part behind the dashboard and its going to cost £150 for the part plus Setting it up, labour and vat

They have quoted me £350!! Is that reasonable =/

No - if it's a part behind the dash, ask them which it is and get another quote/assessment elsewhere. If it's a reasonably simple job - google to see if it is - you might be able to find that a friend or parent (with car knowledge) could sort it themselves.

Obviously, it depends on the specific problem - but if it's simple, you could get away with just buying the part and getting free labour.
Reply 62
The head gasket has gone......£400 down the drain arghhh I hate cars!!!!!

Ah no that's rubbish! Hopefully that'll be the end of the problems though!

I've just found out that after spending hours and hours fixing a leak on a tractor it's leaked from somewhere else and dropped £70 worth of oil on the floor. Fixed that leak and no another one's popped up, so I'm not happy with vehicles either at the moment!

Latest