The Student Room Group

Drop out before or after exams?

For the past 3/4 months I have been thinking about leaving university.

I am studying Sociology at a Russel Group University. There are two main reasons why I want to:

1) Piss poor graduate employment afterwards. Looking at unistats the majority of the people on the course go straight into a Retail Assistant or Administation job which you dont require any degree for and could do now.

2) No passion or motivation for the course. All throughout school I always put every effort possible into work and have completed every uni assignment given to me with 2:1s however I just have no passion for the course.

I have serious doubts on my ability to pass these upcoming exams. The more I think about it the more I feel that I would rather drop out on my terms. I dont want an employer see my grades and see that i failed the year whilst I also say that I dropped out because I disliked it.

I have been offered a fulltime poltical researcher job which is very well paid and I am planning on starting an Open uni degree course in something ive always been passionate about.

Any ideas? Do I drop out before or after exams?
If you study hard and do well on the exams (which you should be able to if you're getting 2.1s) that might give you a self-confidence boost. It might make you feel better if you stay, but even if you don't stay you'd be leaving on a high and done well despite a crap situation.

On the other hand if you're definitely going to leave and don't have confidence issues maybe you'd be better off missing out on the stress of exams.
Original post by NGC773
For the past 3/4 months I have been thinking about leaving university.

I am studying Sociology at a Russel Group University. There are two main reasons why I want to:

1) Piss poor graduate employment afterwards. Looking at unistats the majority of the people on the course go straight into a Retail Assistant or Administation job which you dont require any degree for and could do now.

2) No passion or motivation for the course. All throughout school I always put every effort possible into work and have completed every uni assignment given to me with 2:1s however I just have no passion for the course.

I have serious doubts on my ability to pass these upcoming exams. The more I think about it the more I feel that I would rather drop out on my terms. I dont want an employer see my grades and see that i failed the year whilst I also say that I dropped out because I disliked it.

I have been offered a fulltime poltical researcher job which is very well paid and I am planning on starting an Open uni degree course in something ive always been passionate about.

Any ideas? Do I drop out before or after exams?

Can I ask what russell group it is because I'm planning on transfering to 2nd year at a particular russell group. Did you do sociology a level and if so did you enjoy it? I really liked sociology a level because the teacher was really nice and made me like the subject and we could just talk about our opinions about social issues in class. I've done some sociology electives at my current uni and to be honest apart from some of the readings which are interesting, I found a lot of it boring and just work that you have to get through. Therefore although you say you dont like it, if you enjoy some of the course and can manage the workload then thats fine. but if you cant stand the degree or really are unmotivated then Id try and talk to your career service at uni about your options. I also think sociology is a degree with some modules that particular people dislike (research methods and modernity in my case) and one that are quite interesting (like social health, race inequalities, gender inequalities.) Are there a couple of modules you like for next year or do you not like any of them? If you really dont like the degree then talk with your family and drop out. But in reality I think only a minority of students love every single module and for me honestly I just see uni as the next step and essays and assignments as things to get through that if I'm lucky I might find parts interesting. Remember if you do go back to uni you'll have to pay increased fees, but if it doesnt help you with your future career in anyway then take the job, but think carefully about it first. Some people just go to uni for a social life and do pointless degree combinations like English lit and creative dance, so you wont be making that much of a mistake either way. But dont worry about these exams- I havent started revising yet and mines in late may, so just get cracking on revision (I'll try and not sound too headmistressy) and you'll be fine. :biggrin:
Reply 3
I feel the same as you. I'm currently studying Law at Birmingham and I completely hate it. I've got 2:1s in three of the four essays we have done but I feel like I know nothing for the exams and I really can't build up motivation to revise.

My parents think it looks best for me to finish the year but then lots of people say otherwise. It's only a few weeks now but I really don't think I'll do well in these exams.

I was thinking of changing to Sociology next year! So i'm wondering the same things as leavingsosoon?Though i'd rather get a job.

I'm not sure what to say. Apparently (it might depend on uni) if you finish your exams in the first year you can get a Certificate of Higher Education, if you email someone about it so if you're getting 2:1s that may be worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending