The Student Room Group

Are medical students super-intelligent or studious?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Economister
Generally, and pay damn close attention to this answer because it'll be the most concise, accurate and correct one so far, medical students are very studious and not very intelligent.

Smart people go to LSE.

haha trust that statement to come from someone with the username 'Economister'
Original post by handsome7654
Loll at ur comment! You are out of your mind and makes you seem stupid when you say that!!
Content wise, medicine has the most content to memorise and learn than any other degree. Obv you don't understand what you learn in medicine!

Nope, I have quite a deep understanding of what I study in medicine. Do you think you have to memorize less in subjects like law? You make yourself ridiculous by saying that it has the most content to memorise. What I am trying to say is that medicine is not much more studying than any other degree, it always depends on how much effort you put into it and how eager you are to get good marks.
Reply 102
I think some people on this thread will fine Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences
Original post by jaklargerne
Nope, I have quite a deep understanding of what I study in medicine. Do you think you have to memorize less in subjects like law? You make yourself ridiculous by saying that it has the most content to memorise. What I am trying to say is that medicine is not much more studying than any other degree, it always depends on how much effort you put into it and how eager you are to get good marks.

I am actually astonished how much you don't know about the degree you are doing.
Medicine as a degree course has a hell of a lot more to learn and memorise than medicine.
medicine = 5 years, some places for MBBS BSc = 6 years <-- Now that is just a basic medicine degree, not including specialty training!!
Law (LLB) = 3 years
As a doctor I once met said medicine is like learning a new language as well because of all the medical terminology derived from greek and latin!
Either you are lieing about being a medic or you are doing a PBL based course. I'm on about traditional based medicine courses if I didn't make my self clear!

I have experience of talking with a doctor who did undergraduate law!
A traditional based medicine course at any uni, esp Cambridge has the most content to learn than any other degree as well as being the longest bachler degree!! That is a fact! Please revise your sources! :biggrin:
Reply 104
I am actually astonished how much you don't know about the degree you are doing.
Medicine as a degree course has a hell of a lot more to learn and memorise than medicine.
medicine = 5 years, some places for MBBS BSc = 6 years <-- Now that is just a basic medicine degree, not including specialty training!!
Law (LLB) = 3 years
As a doctor I once met said medicine is like learning a new language as well because of all the medical terminology derived from greek and latin!
Either you are lieing about being a medic or you are doing a PBL based course. I'm on about traditional based medicine courses if I didn't make my self clear!

A traditional based medicine course at any uni, esp Cambridge has the most content to learn than any other degree as well as being the longest bachler degree!! That is a fact! Please revise your sources! :biggrin:

So... it's longer. Not harder. If you had to learn that amount in the same 3 years your argument would make sense. Also you don't sound much like you're a medical student yourself, just a deluded sixth former. Are you a current medical student?
Original post by Zara<3
yes..super intelligent, there is a difference, some people work their asses off and still don't get as far as people like medical students..they def have an innate ability to learn things quicker and more efficiently than your average joe..to do medicine you need to the UKCAT as well..and to be amazing at that, it really is about your IQ and whether you have it or not, and it isn't even anything to do with science, that really does test your pure intelligence. even practicing that doesn't really improve your scores but some people just naturally are amazing at it, which makes them progress to getting into medical school..therefore..PURE INTELLIGENCE

Compare to engineering the concepts of medicine are simple. Period. Just rote learned junk.
Original post by Ronove
So... it's longer. Not harder. If you had to learn that amount in the same 3 years your argument would make sense. Also you don't sound much like you're a medical student yourself, just a deluded sixth former. Are you a current medical student?

My point is that the medicine degree as a whole has much more content than a law degree! Lol why is it so hard for people to understand!?!? :biggrin:
Nd yeahh I'm a 'deluded' sixth former! :tongue:
Law (LLB) = 3 years

I'm astonished at how you judge people you don't even know and disrespect their opinion. Also I am pretty sure that I am a (quite good) medical student (2nd year btw).
Of course the course takes longer than other degrees, it doesn't change the fact that it is not harder nor more intense in terms of studying than most other degrees. At my uni in the first two years you study biochemistry, physics, chemisty, anatomy, medical sociology/psychology, terminology, physiology, histology, biology and some special subjects. As I already said, It strongly depends on how much YOU want to go into detail in these subjects as in most cases you don't have to go into much detail in order to pass the exam.

And, guess what, since I actually am a medical student I know loads of people who studied subjects like life sciences, economics and even law before changing to medicine and they say that the work-load is pretty much the same if not less due to its distribution on 6 years. Also, you can't count the speciality training as it is not part of you degree.

So please, before insulting people, try to understand their point of view. If you want to get into med school I advise you to read some more about the subject and actually talk to medical student instead of holding the degree on such a pedastal as you do. To be honest, I'm really annoyed by all the medical students who like to brag with how much they have to study for their degree and simultaneously have no idea of other degrees. It shows how misinformed most students are.

Edit: Comparing Terminology to studying a whole new language is absolutely ridiculous. Terminology is a minor subject in the degree and really easy unlike actually learning greek or latin.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm astonished at how you judge people you don't even know and disrespect their opinion. Also I am pretty sure that I am a (quite good) medical student (2nd year btw).
Of course the course takes longer than other degrees, it doesn't change the fact that it is not harder nor more intense in terms of studying than most other degrees. At my uni in the first two years you study biochemistry, physics, chemisty, anatomy, medical sociology/psychology, terminology, physiology, histology, biology and some special subjects. As I already said, It strongly depends on how much YOU want to go into detail in these subjects as in most cases you don't have to go into much detail in order to pass the exam.

And, guess what, since I actually am a medical student I know loads of people who studied subjects like life sciences, economics and even law before changing to medicine and they say that the work-load is pretty much the same if not less due to its distribution on 6 years. Also, you can't count the speciality training as it is not part of you degree.

So please, before insulting people, try to understand their point of view. If you want to get into med school I advise you to read some more about the subject and actually talk to medical student instead of holding the degree on such a pedastal as you do. To be honest, I'm really annoyed by all the medical students who like to brag with how much they have to study for their degree and simultaneously have no idea of other degrees. It shows how misinformed most students are.

Edit: Comparing Terminology to studying a whole new language is absolutely ridiculous. Terminology is a minor subject in the degree and really easy unlike actually learning greek or latin.

Which country do u study medicine? Because a lot of med schools in the uk has **** loads more content to learn that you think. I only know this because I have visited the universities, talked to students and lecturers. They have friends who do other degrees and have a lot more free time and content to learn is much in comparison.
And I do understand your point of view but idk if you are doing a medicine course which may have less content. Medicine course varies within universities and from country to country. For example a med degree from cambridge has a lot more content to learn than most other med schools who may offer a PBL based course. You clearly didn't understand my point at all though. I said a traditional based degree course offered by med schools esp in the uk has a hell of a lot more content than any other degree they offer. I am not talking about the difficulty of it but I'm saying the 5 year degree as whole has a lot more content to learn overall than any other degree. One of the university lecturers even told me that!! Believe it or not it is true!

This is ridiculous, idk even know why I'm arguing with you about a FACT that the university staff themselves said!!! Tbh you can think whatever you want but it is not going to change the FACT! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Which country do u study medicine? Because a lot of med schools in the uk has **** loads more content to learn that you think. I only know this because I have visited the universities, talked to students and lecturers. They have friends who do other degrees and have a lot more free time and content to learn is much in comparison.
And I do understand your point of view but idk if you are doing a medicine course which may have less content. Medicine course varies within universities and from country to country. For example a med degree from cambridge has a lot more content to learn than most other med schools who may offer a PBL based course. You clearly didn't understand my point at all though. I said a traditional based degree course offered by med schools esp in the uk has a hell of a lot more content than any other degree they offer. I am not talking about the difficulty of it but I'm saying the 5 year degree as whole has a lot more content to learn overall than any other degree. One of the university lecturers even told me that!! Believe it or not it is true!

This is ridiculous, idk even know why I'm arguing with you about a FACT that the university staff themselves said!!! Tbh you can think whatever you want but it is not going to change the FACT! :biggrin:

Well, okay. I'm not really arguing, I just stated my point of view. If you don't think it is true than I don't mind, but there is no need for insults. You will probably understand what I mean once you're at med school.
Reply 110

Well, okay. I'm not really arguing, I just stated my point of view. If you don't think it is true than I don't mind, but there is no need for insults. You will probably understand what I mean once you're at med school.

What I see here is an argument about the study of medicine between someone who already DOES study medicine and someone who only wants to. I think I know which one to trust :biggrin:
x

I'm not going to argue that you are wrong, clearly your experience far outstrips mine, I'm just curious about your perspective. A lot of medical students I've heard talk about significantly longer hours (and in some cases longer terms) than other students. There's also the fact that there's assessment of academic and professional qualities throughout the medical course, which is quite different from purely academic subjects like biochem. Then there's finals which draw in everything learnt throughout the course. Now, I'm not saying medicine is necessarily harder, but it seems odd to compare medicine with other courses. I mean, what purpose is there in speculating who has more stuff to memorise? Sure there are similarities, but I'm sure you'd agree that there's a lot more to medicine than just this.

Plus, as much as everyone is eager to say medicine is all cramming stuff, in the later stages that knowledge base is only useful if you have the skills to apply it into clinical contexts. I get the point people are trying to make, medicine isn't the uber hardest subject in the world. However, I think people are going too far the other way and are failing to recognise medicine is a challenging degree. Just because it isn't as difficult in a specific way doesn't mean it isn't difficult, and the truth is many people who excel in fields like engineering and mathematics would flounder in medicine because the skill sets are very different (obviously the reverse is true too).
Original post by Davidragon
I'm not going to argue that you are wrong, clearly your experience far outstrips mine, I'm just curious about your perspective. A lot of medical students I've heard talk about significantly longer hours (and in some cases longer terms) than other students. There's also the fact that there's assessment of academic and professional qualities throughout the medical course, which is quite different from purely academic subjects like biochem. Then there's finals which draw in everything learnt throughout the course. Now, I'm not saying medicine is necessarily harder, but it seems odd to compare medicine with other courses. I mean, what purpose is there in speculating who has more stuff to memorise? Sure there are similarities, but I'm sure you'd agree that there's a lot more to medicine than just this.

Plus, as much as everyone is eager to say medicine is all cramming stuff, in the later stages that knowledge base is only useful if you have the skills to apply it into clinical contexts. I get the point people are trying to make, medicine isn't the uber hardest subject in the world. However, I think people are going too far the other way and are failing to recognise medicine is a challenging degree. Just because it isn't as difficult in a specific way doesn't mean it isn't difficult, and the truth is many people who excel in fields like engineering and mathematics would flounder in medicine because the skill sets are very different (obviously the reverse is true too).

Yeah, well written. You are absolutely right that it is not an easy degree and not purely based on memorisation. I didn't really want to compare medicine to other degrees in terms of difficulty, since it is quite subjective how hard one finds a subject. The problem is that there are loads of people in medical courses and pupils who, for some reason, think medicine is the be all end all and therefore massively exaggerate with the work-load and how extremely hard the degree is. These people incredibly annoy me.

It is a challenging degree and one might need particular skills e.g. good memorization, fast analysis of information etc. but you need equal skills in other subjects. In contrast to some other people on here you seem to know a bit about medicine...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending