The Student Room Group

TOK Presentation Topic.. HELP!!!

hey guys, i have to do my tok presentation in a month and i would like to don something related to online dating, can anyone tell me how i can put that in the form of a question or a knowledge issue...pleaseeee :confused:
Reply 1
I know this probably isn't much help -(I'm crap at knowledge issues, my teacher helped me a lot, it was on SOPA, PIPA and ACTA) -

you could try forming a question along the lines "how do we know that..." and take it from there. it depends what about online dating your talking about, and it has to be something that is a current issue. maybe you could feature the statistics where something like 1 in 4 people have met online and in the future it will be 1 in 2 (<- random figures)...

sorry its not much help, but it might be a start. :s-smilie:
Reply 2
thank you, yeah it did help. i was thinking about either taking about if its safe or ethical, or about: can person really find love through online dating.... but i dont know which one i can develop more.
Reply 3
with the finding love aspect, you can question "what is love?" what is the minimum extent of a relationship that you can call it love? Love is based on emotion and we don't have quantities/units for measuring emotion. - (even though some country tries to measure people's happiness? :tongue: ) then you can question if online dating is the most effective means for finding this 'hypothetical' love. are there better ways? is there anything ethically/morally wrong with the online dating?

And don't forget you have to have personal examples, or else show that in your presentation you did enough research that it is now a personal topic. So give examples of you or friends or people you know with online dating & their outcomes & experiences.

Say how they could improve online dating
What are its problems (is it safe... 14yr girl meets a 60yr man? or; people lie to make themselves appear more attractive, will anyone ever find 'true love')
People can sign up, lying about ages, no matter how old or young.

You could question is there this thing people talk about 'true love' or 'soulmate' or is there just 'love'? and can you find any of them online.

At the beginning define words (in your own words! not dictionary, especially if for when you do the final essay, the examiners do not like dictionary definitions, but I'm not sure about your teacher and the way they might mark for the presentation).
Define 'love', 'dating'?, 'online dating'?, .... etc.
Make sure you say it is a relevant modern topic, like how the internet consumes a lot of time for most of the population and it keeps growing.

you can show the online dating adverts off the tv, or find videos/statements from people. then you can go on to say how can we trust these sources. find real statistics, but always say how reliable they are, and what could be wrong with the numbers (i.e. lying, false estimates)
You could show an online dating site, and show the questions they use, and how are these questions meant to match people? how long do you search before you give up or find love? how can we trust the algorithms the programmers used for the site? what makes one site better, the different algorithm or the different people signed up?

And if you don't say at the end, you will inevitably be asked, do you believe in finding love in online dating, would you do it?

etc.

hopefully that makes about 10-15mins...

Hope that helps somewhat, even though it's mostly about the 'love' aspect :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! you dont know how helpful that was, id never thought of it that way specially the fact that i can even bring media and language into this...
thanks sooo soo much :biggrin:
Reply 5
Welcome :smile: & Good Luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending