Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who thinks the voting age should be lowered to 16?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In an argument against this, many people often say, "they can't buy cigarettes, drive, etc., etc." But I think this is a valuable thing! It gives youngsters a "say" in our society, and will maybe stop them rebelling so much... And those who are going to say, "they're not mature enough," I think there should be a questionnaire for under 18s to see if they "deserve" their vote, or at least won't throw it away. The results should all be given on the same day, to stop people telling each other how to get the vote.

Ha ha, I think way too deeply into everything- I know. :-)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I used to be in support of lowering the voting age to 16, but I've changed my views now I'm 18. In my opinion there is a big gap between 16 and 18, and I feel like I've grown up a lot/matured in between. So in answer to your question, I don't think the voting age should be lowered.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's a good question. Overall though, I think you are still immature at 16 (relative, of course, to 18) like the previous poster said. Also, younger minds are much more easily influenced. There are plenty of 16 year old votes that would be fair and well thought out, but not many.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you have to pay tax at 16, then you should have a say on who runs the country. Afterall, they're spending your money.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. And I'm 16.
    Do you really want the even more idiots voting? Don't neg me, as I said, I'm 16 myself. If you gave everyone in my year a vote, my constituency would be fudged.

If I had my way you wouldn't even be allowed to vote until you reached the age of an "elder".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it should be raised to the age of 25.

16 is far too young.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natchina)
    it should be raised to the age of 25.

16 is far too young.
    That would be pretty good tbh. Not too old but old enough to have a settled maturity.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes - 16 year olds I think are old enough to make a rational decision. also, would allow for the interests of that particular age group to be paid more attention to.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    If you have to pay tax at 16, then you should have a say on who runs the country. Afterall, they're spending your money.
    **** mahhn! And then they should actually listen when we tell them to stop sending cowards to shoot innocents in Afgahnistan!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    simply no...
    - they are too easily swayed by politicians, and many (my bro and his friends for example) has no real knowledge or opinions of politics and how the country is/should be run
    - almost all of them don't pay tax or earn a significant amount
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xanadu_21)
    yes - 16 year olds I think are old enough to make a rational decision. also, would allow for the interests of that particular age group to be paid more attention to.
    "EDL, EDL, EDL" chanters x 10,000+ sound rational?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No, the 16-18 learning gap is big....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it will work. Most 18 year olds don't know enough or care about the economy: all they know is that if the economy is doing bad, there spending power will decrease. By further reducing this to 16..I doubt the countries elections would be in better hands if voters would know less about critical issues, and therefore less able to assess who is the best candidate for the job of Prime Minister.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvertedLayman)
    **** mahhn! And then they should actually listen when we tell them to stop sending cowards to shoot innocents in Afgahnistan!
    How has 'sending cowards to Afghanistan' have any relevence to the voting age? Where is the evidence for them shooting innocent people in Afghan? It's a very dangerous and scary place, you can't see the taliban. They dont have Uniform and merge with community - guerilla tactics. Just like in Vietnam, age isn't going to help you when you have camouflaged terroists in a sea of innocent people.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemissmidget123)
    simply no...
    - they are too easily swayed by politicians, and many (my bro and his friends for example) has no real knowledge or opinions of politics and how the country is/should be run
    - almost all of them don't pay tax or earn a significant amount
    This.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes - those who have little interest in politics will just not vote anyway, and those who do deserve a say in how our society is governed considering that at that age they can take a full part in it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvertedLayman)
    "EDL, EDL, EDL" chanters x 10,000+ sound rational?
    lol - but i'm sure loads of them were over 18, besides - not all 16 and 17 year olds are completely radical. they have legitimate interests and it is not fair that they are not considered sufficiently in government policies, e.g. university fees...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Old enough to pay tax, old enough to have a say on how it's spent.

There is a lot of unsavoury political attitudes amongst left-wing 6th formers, but I do feel that an apprentice working in a trade has every right to political representation on the same basis as his older colleagues.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think we should get rid of the voting age. Let 13 year olds have a say in society! After all, they can earn money and pay tax.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 3, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

Waiting for your grades? Let off some steam in our results chat megathread

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.