The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Scroll to see replies

capslock
Isn't Birmingham... well to put it bluntly, a bit of a sh**hole?

Cockslap (a perfect anogram :rolleyes: ) , Birmingam is a fine institution with a wonderful campus at Edgbaston.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 41
capslock
Isn't Birmingham... well to put it bluntly, a bit of a sh**hole?

Coming from someone in leeds!? birmingham has had a of investment put in to it over the past few decades and is the most up and coming city in the uk at the mo bullring etc.

Im going to the uni this sept need bbb for history and social science. lookin forward to it.
Well, it's not exactly the LSE, now is it?
Gnostic
And it's not the LSE, let's not forget that. :smile:

Well put, sir.
Biggles
Well put, sir.

LOL
Reply 45
It's a very good university which has a worldwide reputation. It's one of the top research universities.
trev1122
It's a very good university which has a worldwide reputation. It's one of the top research universities.

But it's not the LSE, is it?
Reply 47
Birmingham is a great university, lovely campus and from what I saw the city centre is quite nice (good clubs and all that - its all I'm bothered in). Don't know why so many people seem to think that a uni accepting higher grades makes them better - it means they get more applicants who get high grades and nothing else (if you think about it it could make them worse as the students should already be doing well so if they don't come out with higher levels of degrees at the end than other unis then the uni in question isn't as good - yes this makes little sence but you know what I mean).
Chubb
Birmingham is a great university, lovely campus and from what I saw the city centre is quite nice (good clubs and all that - its all I'm bothered in). Don't know why so many people seem to think that a uni accepting higher grades makes them better - it means they get more applicants who get high grades and nothing else (if you think about it it could make them worse as the students should already be doing well so if they don't come out with higher levels of degrees at the end than other unis then the uni in question isn't as good - yes this makes little sence but you know what I mean).

Reply 49
Biggles

Shut up with all the "it's not LSE" crap. Just cos it isn't LSE doesn't mean it's no good.
Reply 50
im goin to brum for law this sept...brum is wikid...i live in london and visited brum..its well nice
Reply 51
ushie
im goin to brum for law this sept...brum is wikid...i live in london and visited brum..its well nice

Whereabouts in London you from?
Reply 52
ushie

You'll enjoy the Law degree. It's so easy!!!! :confused: (dream on!). If you ever work out what Sophie Boyron goes on about in the lectures, I'll pay you a fiver :rolleyes: I never could (but then I spent most of the time sleeping...)

I'm suprised you like Birmingham, and don't find it "too small", as one person I used to know kept on saying (no names mentioned, haha). Glad you seem to be looking forward to it, though :smile:

Tim.
Whoever it is who keeps banging on about the LSE, or course Birmingham Uni isn't the LSE what good would an economics school be to any of the other courses (like mine). And most importantly wouldn't be seen dead in London.

Not sure about the 'Oxbridge of the Midlands' but at least we'll be able to afford our accommodation at brum.

If the LSE was so damn good why doesn't whoever it is who can't give it up just go there and stay there! Stop dirtying our board with their haughty filth.
Reply 54
Elisa-shaped
Whoever it is who keeps banging on about the LSE, or course Birmingham Uni isn't the LSE what good would an economics school be to any of the other courses (like mine). And most importantly wouldn't be seen dead in London.

Not sure about the 'Oxbridge of the Midlands' but at least we'll be able to afford our accommodation at brum.

If the LSE was so damn good why doesn't whoever it is who can't give it up just go there and stay there! Stop dirtying our board with their haughty filth.

It's a user known as Gnostic/Biggles. He's known for posting all that "if it ain't LSE, it's no good" crap. Ignore him :smile:.
Reply 55
It's definetely not very meaningful to compare the two institutions but as "the usual one" keeps bringin it on i think a few things can be mentioned

Tbh I was an aspirant for LSE but after visiting the campuses this semester i couldn't help but see the "dreamboat" fading away.
The brilliant reputation is evident; let's put this aside for a little while. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't LSE a collection of a few apartments, spared with literally "rat holes" to study? (I'm not talkin nonsense am I, coz I've been to one of the "rooms") From my perspective, "university" has always meant somethin else for me, i dunno if that's the same for you but I'm really skeptical about a "total" university experience at LSE. I think the institution is rather for the postgraduates...

Wrapping up; for an undergraduate experience, i guess brum will be much satisfying.

Btw, -again correct me if I'm wrong- isn't the TQA of LSE for politics is 22 whereas Brum's is 24?
Just asking..No offence :rolleyes:
Catharsis
It's definetely not very meaningful to compare the two institutions but as "the usual one" keeps bringin it on i think a few things can be mentioned

Tbh I was an aspirant for LSE but after visiting the campuses this semester i couldn't help but see the "dreamboat" fading away.
The brilliant reputation is evident; let's put this aside for a little while. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't LSE a collection of a few apartments, spared with literally "rat holes" to study? (I'm not talkin nonsense am I, coz I've been to one of the "rooms") From my perspective, "university" has always meant somethin else for me, i dunno if that's the same for you but I'm really skeptical about a "total" university experience at LSE. I think the institution is rather for the postgraduates...

Wrapping up; for an undergraduate experience, i guess brum will be much satisfying.

Btw, -again correct me if I'm wrong- isn't the TQA of LSE for politics is 22 whereas Brum's is 24?
Just asking..No offence :rolleyes:

Biggles

no....

its better!!
:biggrin:

cos i'll be there!!
:biggrin:

Ruthie xx
I think people saying birmingham is a shithole must be snobs...or havent visited. I live 10 minutes away, and it isnt atall. If i didnt live here, birmingham would be my first choice for medicine. The campus is gorgous, with lakes, fields and great architecture. It is in one of the poshest areas of birmingham, and is a 10 minute bus ride from the city centre. If you like things to do birmingham has the lot (except the old ice rink which they shut due to a fire n never reopened...sighs...) It has numerous clubs and bars, which most students love. It has every shop you copuld think of, designer, high street and cheap also. The bullring is stunning, with the view of the church through it. The waterfront is also great at night, with its many canals. Also if you like ur music there are 3 great venues where almost every band always bring their tour too. I will be really sad to leave next year, but I weant a new experience. I reakon I will be hard pressed to find a city with so much to do as this one....has anyone got any ideas where? I thought maybe Cardiff? Notts? Norwich? Id love to go by the sea too. lol, but big town n sea never really mix, thats why i thought Cardiff or Brighton also.
Reply 59
wednesburywench
I think people saying birmingham is a shithole must be snobs...or havent visited. I live 10 minutes away, and it isnt atall. If i didnt live here, birmingham would be my first choice for medicine. The campus is gorgous, with lakes, fields and great architecture. It is in one of the poshest areas of birmingham, and is a 10 minute bus ride from the city centre. If you like things to do birmingham has the lot (except the old ice rink which they shut due to a fire n never reopened...sighs...) It has numerous clubs and bars, which most students love. It has every shop you copuld think of, designer, high street and cheap also. The bullring is stunning, with the view of the church through it. The waterfront is also great at night, with its many canals. Also if you like ur music there are 3 great venues where almost every band always bring their tour too. I will be really sad to leave next year, but I weant a new experience. I reakon I will be hard pressed to find a city with so much to do as this one....has anyone got any ideas where? I thought maybe Cardiff? Notts? Norwich? Id love to go by the sea too. lol, but big town n sea never really mix, thats why i thought Cardiff or Brighton also.

Well from what I've seen of Cardiff (only been once to go to the Millennium Stadium) its very nice. I've also heard very good things about Norwich (and UEA aswell for that matter) so yeh I would consider those. I applied to UEA myself (had to turn them down for Birmingham though) and would have applied to Cardiff but being a Stoke fan I decided that I'd get attacked everytime someone found out. :rolleyes: :biggrin: