Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Present for boyfriend (action figure)

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I really want to get my boyfriend an action figure or some sort of collector's item to do with Star Wars or Stargate Atlantis or something similar..

The problem is, I know nothing about this stuff!! He doesn't talk about it much because he doesn't want to bore me I guess, so I don't want to ask him too much about it, because I don't want to raise any suspicions! :P

Is there anyone here who knows where I can get these things and how much it'll be? Think 40 year old virgin collection, one of those! :P

I remember him mentioning Forbidden Planet once.. anyone know how good that is?

I'll try and find out what his favourite character is or something..?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Forbidden Planet is a good store for collectors items, with star wars the selection is endless but action figures, especially the Real Action Heroes line tend to cost a fair bit (between £10-£300) the clone wars stuff tends to be a bit cheaper but would depend if he is fan of that.

No idea about Stargate Atlantis, there probably is collectors stuff for it but you would have to browse sites like eBay to find some.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    Forbidden Planet is a good store for collectors items, with star wars the selection is endless but action figures, especially the Real Action Heroes line tend to cost a fair bit (between £10-£300) the clone wars stuff tends to be a bit cheaper but would depend if he is fan of that.

No idea about Stargate Atlantis, there probably is collectors stuff for it but you would have to browse sites like eBay to find some.
    It's like reading another language! lol

I know he's a fan of Star Wars, I'm not sure about clone wars.. I don't mind spending a bit if it's worth it Probably up to £50 or so.

This might sound silly, but with collectors items, should I get his favourite character or something? Or is there another way people choose which ones they buy?

Thanks!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inspiration91)
    It's like reading another language! lol

I know he's a fan of Star Wars, I'm not sure about clone wars.. I don't mind spending a bit if it's worth it Probably up to £50 or so.

This might sound silly, but with collectors items, should I get his favourite character or something? Or is there another way people choose which ones they buy?

Thanks!

It's probably a safe bet to go with the original trilogy if your not sure what he likes (Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader ect) as for which to get you can't really go wrong with picking one of his favorite characters, generally you get collectibles as memorabilia so rather than spending 50 on one you could look at getting a few of the £5-£10 models like these http://forbiddenplanet.com/toys/acti...show=available but if you do make sure you get the same wave as they will always be more valuable as a set in the future.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)

It's probably a safe bet to go with the original trilogy if your not sure what he likes (Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader ect) as for which to get you can't really go wrong with picking one of his favorite characters, generally you get collectibles as memorabilia so rather than spending 50 on one you could look at getting a few of the £5-£10 models like these http://forbiddenplanet.com/toys/acti...show=available but if you do make sure you get the same wave as they will always be more valuable as a set in the future.
    I am trying to find out what his favourite action movie franchise thing is so I can pick a character he'd like! I might even be able to ask him who his favourite character is- but it's proving difficult so far as I have no idea how to even ask this question!! haha!

Anyway I'll update this thread once I have more info.

I have found out he likes x-men lol
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You are the greatest girlfriend ever.
    Forbidden Planet will sort you out nicely.

Get a selection of action figures like previously suggested, it'd show that you are interested in his stuff.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ocelotrevs)
    You are the greatest girlfriend ever.
    Forbidden Planet will sort you out nicely.

Get a selection of action figures like previously suggested, it'd show that you are interested in his stuff.
    Thanks lol

Do you own any? What does one even do with them? lol
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inspiration91)
    Thanks lol

Do you own any? What does one even do with them? lol
    I have a few old ones from when I was little. But I have Lego and K'Nex models, and buy them once in a while as well.
    With the action figures, they just sit there to be honest. But figurines are good as well, they're just models... But I dunno, they're just nice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get a Darth Vader one and turn him into a man.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ocelotrevs)
    I have a few old ones from when I was little. But I have Lego and K'Nex models, and buy them once in a while as well.
    With the action figures, they just sit there to be honest. But figurines are good as well, they're just models... But I dunno, they're just nice.
    Oh okay cool! I will look around and come back if I have more questions!! lol

Edit: Okay say I got these 5 http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/ind...erTotalItems=5

Is that a good choice and how would you get the rest of wave 2?

I also thought he might like these figures (because his favourite concept is Stargate Atlantis)

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/ind...erTotalItems=4

But again, how would you get the others? Thank you!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if he's a MISB (mint in sealed box) collector, or if he's the type of person who cracks open the toy and plays with it?

My husband collects MISB original transformers (original as in 1980s - he gets them mostly from ebay), and one of the most crucial things for him is that it really is in good condition. That includes the box. Very important. So if your boyfriend is one those type of collectors, then whatever you do, handle with care, and pick the best looking box on the shelf!

If he just opens them and plays with them then that's a different kettle of fish.

There are forums on collecting star wars figures if you google it. Those guys will probably be able to advise you very well.

Incidentally, if your boyfriend is a MISB collector, you might want to get the figure cased and graded. Look up UKG (UK Graders) - they will put it in a 3 or 5mm (depending on your preference) case and give it a grade as to what condition it is in. The higher the grade, the more valuable a piece in his collection it will be. Obviously that costs, but it looks really lovely and presentable in the case for displaying. Obviously do NOT do this if he intends to crack it open and play with it - that's only for if he is wanting it kept in mint condition in its box. My husband gets his transformers cased and graded from UKG - the guy that runs it, Steve, is really reliable and friendly.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    In fact, here, how about this one? Already cased and graded (by AFA - american equivalent of UKG - probably even better well known actually)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boba-Fett-Em...item3cc5838660
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    $100 for moulded plastic? Wow, I can't believe that.

Humans have evolved from fighting sabre-toothed tigers to playing with plastic.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formerly Helpful_C)

You clearly have never entered the (ridiculously expensive) world of figure collecting.

My husband is in the process of selling some of his lesser quality transformers at the moment, to raise $1,200 for one figure that he is after.

Believe me, $100 is nothing in the grand scheme of things. That's actually pretty reasonable for that figure.

And it's not about "playing with plastic". It's akin to collecting art work or antiques. It's not like popping along to your local toys R us and buying one of the zillion modern figures they have stocked there.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Buy him a really good lightsaber. Like the ones they use on 'the big bang theory'
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    Do you know if he's a MISB (mint in sealed box) collector, or if he's the type of person who cracks open the toy and plays with it?

My husband collects MISB original transformers (original as in 1980s - he gets them mostly from ebay), and one of the most crucial things for him is that it really is in good condition. That includes the box. Very important. So if your boyfriend is one those type of collectors, then whatever you do, handle with care, and pick the best looking box on the shelf!

If he just opens them and plays with them then that's a different kettle of fish.

There are forums on collecting star wars figures if you google it. Those guys will probably be able to advise you very well.

Incidentally, if your boyfriend is a MISB collector, you might want to get the figure cased and graded. Look up UKG (UK Graders) - they will put it in a 3 or 5mm (depending on your preference) case and give it a grade as to what condition it is in. The higher the grade, the more valuable a piece in his collection it will be. Obviously that costs, but it looks really lovely and presentable in the case for displaying. Obviously do NOT do this if he intends to crack it open and play with it - that's only for if he is wanting it kept in mint condition in its box. My husband gets his transformers cased and graded from UKG - the guy that runs it, Steve, is really reliable and friendly.
    Thank you for this! I actually have no idea- as far as I'm aware he doesn't have any at the moment!

I've asked him quite a bit about this world recently and I don't want him to guess what I'm up to so I think I'll ask one of our mutual friends to get it out of him and report back to me :P

I'll update the thread when I have more info!

I think I'm gonna ignore anything Star Wars related because that seems quite common and I don't think it's his favourite from what I've gathered. He's more into Stargate Atlantis
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formerly Helpful_C)

Although I can't really believe it either, I respect other people's hobbies/interests.

And you might as well say humans have evolved from sitting in grasslands to advancing so far technologically that we have managed to land on the moon, build incredibly powerful computers, are willing to conserve other species etc.

So what you said doesn't really work! :P
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amime)
    Buy him a really good lightsaber. Like the ones they use on 'the big bang theory'
    This isn't a bad idea tbh, I'll look into it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've found out his favourite Marvel character is Iron Man! So I'm thinking of getting one of these two:

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/ind...ducts_id=68633

OR

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/ind...ducts_id=72154

Is the second one worth £200? and what are some differences between the products? He's not really a majorly active fan so I'm thinking of going for the first one?

What's Iron Man Mark? lol
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're a brave girlfriend; my other half is a Transformers/Star Wars nut and I daren't get him any action figures in case I get rubbish ones or he's already got them; instead I got him the Transformers Vault for Christmas :lol:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 10, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.