The Student Room Group

Aldi Apprenticeship 2012

Is anyone thinking of applying for this scheme?
Does anyone think it is worthwhile doing an apprenticeship in retail?
Have they ran this scheme in the past?
Reply 1
Is it a real apprenticeship, or is it one of those crappy 8 months training schemes that they call an apprenticeship to justify paying you less than minimum wage?
Reply 2
Look at the following link
It will give you an idea of the pay

http://apprentice.aldirecruitment.co.uk/scheme-details-future.html
Reply 3
Original post by U.S Lecce
Is it one of those crappy 8 months training schemes that they call an apprenticeship to justify paying you less than minimum wage?

It's 3 years
Click the link, it will take you directly to what you need to know about the scheme
Reply 4
Original post by Choo.choo
It's 3 years
Click the link, it will take you directly to what you need to know about the scheme

At £5 an hour I wouldn't bother. Might as well just get a normal instore job and work your way up through the ranks. At least then you are earning above minimum wage.
Reply 5
Original post by U.S Lecce
At £5 an hour I wouldn't bother. Might as well just get a normal instore job and work your way up through the ranks. At least then you are earning above minimum wage.

They'll probably still be inundated with applications
Typical people just apply for any job and not a job they actually want
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
To all wishing to apply to this 2013 apprenticeship scheme, if you do so I sincerely hope you have a better experience than i have had these past 6 months. I am paid less to do the same job as a stock assistant (stacking shelves). The scheme has been completely dire with poor organisation a colossal drop-out rate and between little and no communication. The organisers at head office really have mucked this up. Further to this I have been under-valued as a member of staff to the point of it feeling un-wanted. Perhaps the stores don't agree with the apprenticeship scheme and would prefer to have there friends in charge?
Maybe this is just my opinion but i believe the drop-out rate speaks for itself (I am the last one of 6 in my area, I hear there is an area that had 15 and now has 2).

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by matbellew
To all wishing to apply to this 2013 apprenticeship scheme, if you do so I sincerely hope you have a better experience than i have had these past 6 months. I am paid less to do the same job as a stock assistant (stacking shelves). The scheme has been completely dire with poor organisation a colossal drop-out rate and between little and no communication. The organisers at head office really have mucked this up. Further to this I have been under-valued as a member of staff to the point of it feeling un-wanted. Perhaps the stores don't agree with the apprenticeship scheme and would prefer to have there friends in charge?
Maybe this is just my opinion but i believe the drop-out rate speaks for itself (I am the last one of 6 in my area, I hear there is an area that had 15 and now has 2).

Tell us what happened.
It's a funny title - apprenticeships usually only exist in trade industries such as joinery, carpentry, plumbing, etc.
I wonder why they called it an apprenticeship.
I'm afraid that is the way that the world works - you will always be treated like unwanted rubbish when you are not in management.
The next time you go into a new job, perhaps you should change your attitude towards your bosses - you might find you get on better at work.
Reply 8
Any job coupled with an NVQ classes for an apprenticeship, Accountantancy and Business admin are 2 very popular apprenticeships now.
Aha but in the first stage of the interview the group (Group interviews + Assessment days) It was made clear that managerial responsibility along with a higher starting wage would be recieved Furthermore no successful candidates were informed on the passing onto the next stage untill i personally contacted them each time, in one case I was told they shall call back, which they did 3-4 days before having to make a 3 and a half hour trip for the final stage. I am not purposefully slandering out of spite, this is purely to aid those apprentices of 2013 so they know what to expect. There are of course good sides with Apprenticeship min. wage down at £2.64 Aldi surpasses that in year 1 by nearly double. But the hours are only 25/week. And as I said previously maybe this is just a poor view on it, but again the labour turnover speaks for itself.
Thanks Choo.
Reply 9
Original post by matbellew

Hope this helps :smile:

I completely agree with you, I'd stay clear of this apprentiship for anybody considering it! I've been on the apprenticeship programme at aldi for the last 7 MONTHS. I am one of very few left in the organisation. The course far from teaches you new skills, next to non on the job training, they treat you like another employee and expect you to be the same as them. This is a way for Aldi to pay employees under minimum wage for doing the exact same job. With poor organisation, no communication , nobody in the business who knows exactly what an apprentiships role is and being under valued all adds up to a terrible scheme that aldi have created!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending