The Student Room Group

Training Matters in Pharmacy

To all...

I am currently studying how face-to-face communication, for example counselling patients' could be taught in a more efficient and effective way throughout the four years of the Mpharm degree.

I need as many ideas as possible of the various methods of teaching and learning tools (current or potential) such as using ICT facilities e.g. recording role plays and having group discussions.

What is the best way to teach and learn about face-to-face communication (doesnt have to be a medically related career).

Thanks
I think the most useful thing we ever saw was a pharmacist chatting to a actor-patient for half an hour - a kind of medicines use review of sorts. We had to write an essay about it afterwards - which not only forced everyone to turn up to watch and learn from it, but also to take note of the interaction between the two people.
Reply 2
cheerz for your comment KingsPharm,

One of the problems with restricting the Mpharm degree by only going on hospital visits (we did this in 2nd year) is that when you work as a locum for the first time (if you pursue a community pharmacy job), many people have to learn about how to communicate with real patients, and have to learn about the whole retail environment. They find it hard, i've heard, to handle the whole situation at the beggining.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a balance between visiting hospital (secondary care) and community (primary care) in order to have a feel of what it's really like?

Infact, it would help make most of our minds up about what route to pursue in the future- whether to go into community or hospital pharmacy.

Let me know about your thoughts on this issue.
I think doing it with real patients is the most effective way. We practice doing MUR's on our lecturers, but sometimes its difficult to let barriers down as at the end of the day, its your lecturer sitting in front of you. With a real patient, I think students would be more inclined to put into practice things they have learnt without feeling stupid.
Indeed it would be great to have real experience like that in uni, but pragmatically it's never going to happen.

At the end of the day, if you want some real patient contact, get a part time job or summer job in a community pharmacy (or any shop where you deal with people in sales/customer service type of situation).

Latest

Trending

Trending