The Student Room Group

CCEA A2 2 Chemistry May 2012

what resourses do you use for this chemistry module????
DREADING the exam!!!!!!

NEED an A but think its very unlikely

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The notes provided by my school seem to be good enough, and the past papers from the CCEA website

however it may be worth your while buying a revision guide or two, such as this

also... as you probably know, absolutely anything could be asked on this exam, so try to cover everything, even if it's been asked in a similar way before, as ccea just loves to surprise us :smile:....
Reply 2
I'm dreading this exam too!! I've tried to look over module 4 stuff and bits and pieces from AS to prepare for worst case scenario :tongue:

Up first is A2 3 practical! :redface: Not looking forward to that either. Any ideas on what might come up??

I would also recommend that revision book cause it's the closest thing to a text book you'll get for CCEA chemistry :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Who_Is_It?
I'm dreading this exam too!! I've tried to look over module 4 stuff and bits and pieces from AS to prepare for worst case scenario :tongue:

Up first is A2 3 practical! :redface: Not looking forward to that either. Any ideas on what might come up??

I would also recommend that revision book cause it's the closest thing to a text book you'll get for CCEA chemistry :frown:

hey, you did module 4 in january right? how did you do?

but anyway, regarding A2 2, I have a feeling a really nasty synoptic question is gonna come up... like maybe a mechanism or preparation of bromobutane or something :frown: (I always forget those, and seemed to forget them in my actual AS2 exam :colondollar:)
Reply 4
Original post by ms607
hey, you did module 4 in january right? how did you do?

but anyway, regarding A2 2, I have a feeling a really nasty synoptic question is gonna come up... like maybe a mechanism or preparation of bromobutane or something :frown: (I always forget those, and seemed to forget them in my actual AS2 exam :colondollar:)

I did yea, I managed 106/120!! :tongue: Unbelievably happy with it :biggrin: How'd you get on with it?

Practical exam today!!! :redface: Wasn't too bad I though, messed up the equations after titrations so I got the wrong ratio :mad: Planning question was nice too :tongue:
Reply 5
I did yea, I managed 106/120!! :tongue: Unbelievably happy with it :biggrin: How'd you get on with it?

Practical exam today!!! :redface: Wasn't too bad I though, messed up the equations after titrations so I got the wrong ratio :mad: Planning question was nice too :tongue:

oooo, I got 98/120 which I'm happy with though I thought I'd get more

but yeah, the practical wasn't too bad, and without revealing too much (against TSR rules I think) it was a very nice paper, especially the planning section. Took me a few attempts to write the titration equations though but I think they were right!
Reply 6
yes not too bad HOPE i did not may any silly mistakes!!!!
Reply 7
Original post by ms607
oooo, I got 98/120 which I'm happy with though I thought I'd get more

but yeah, the practical wasn't too bad, and without revealing too much (against TSR rules I think) it was a very nice paper, especially the planning section. Took me a few attempts to write the titration equations though but I think they were right!

98/120? Nicely done :biggrin: Considering it was a really weird paper, everyone seemed to have done really well!!

Will TSR let us talk about the practical exam now? :tongue: I'm really paranoid about my answers, especially for the panning section!! :frown:
Reply 8
just bumping this thread up!

Really hoping they don't throw us off with this one like they did in janaury with module 4...

Any ideas what sort of synoptic questions could come up? Stuff like IR spec is okay, because that's never really difficult, but I'm scared they'll throw in a random AS topic that we wouldn't have thought to revise!
Reply 9
Original post by ms607
just bumping this thread up!

Really hoping they don't throw us off with this one like they did in janaury with module 4...

Any ideas what sort of synoptic questions could come up? Stuff like IR spec is okay, because that's never really difficult, but I'm scared they'll throw in a random AS topic that we wouldn't have thought to revise!

Don't know why but I have a feeling that Kp, Kc and pH stuff could come up cause it wasn't really on in January... maybe something on bonds broken/bonds made, something dopey like that from mod 2?? Or even heat capacity!! (Probably unlikely) :tongue:

I never really notice the synoptic stuff in chem papers cause they always link it in really well...

Preparation of carboxylic acid, ester, practical techniques are a possibility too...

God help us all, it's gonna be a nightmare of an exam :frown:
Reply 10
eek... good luck to anyone doing this tomorrow

I'm thinking there's gonna be a wordy q or 2 on analytical techniques like linking GLC to mass spec or how the GLC method works, which I can never seem to remember :frown:
Original post by ms607
eek... good luck to anyone doing this tomorrow

I'm thinking there's gonna be a wordy q or 2 on analytical techniques like linking GLC to mass spec or how the GLC method works, which I can never seem to remember :frown:

Thanks for the heads up!! I completely forgot about it!!!

Good luck to everyone tomorrow, we can only try our best :smile:

Fingers crossed CCEA sets us a nice paper!!!
Reply 12
oooh.... what did everyone think?
Original post by ms607
oooh.... what did everyone think?

I really don't know what to think about it... Some bits were good, others were hard. That 6 mark dichromate one was a bit of a soul destroyer!! What did you end up with for your percentage?? Far too much drawing in it!! The mass spec/NMR one was too long winded and wordy!!
Reply 14
I really don't know what to think about it... Some bits were good, others were hard. That 6 mark dichromate one was a bit of a soul destroyer!! What did you end up with for your percentage?? Far too much drawing in it!! The mass spec/NMR one was too long winded and wordy!!

I thought as a whole it was a good paper... but yeah the 6 mark dichromate one was just evil (I remembered the main bits but don't know if they were in the right order or not)

as for my % I think it was 39% or so..? and the other calculation, the 5 mark iron one I think I got 88% or something like that

and yes TOO MUCH DRAWING!! :frown: but the multiple choice was absolutely fine
Original post by ms607
I thought as a whole it was a good paper... but yeah the 6 mark dichromate one was just evil (I remembered the main bits but don't know if they were in the right order or not)

as for my % I think it was 39% or so..? and the other calculation, the 5 mark iron one I think I got 88% or something like that

Multiple choice was good yea, overall the paper was good, I just think cause it was our last chemistry paper everyone thinks it was a bit iffy :tongue:

I got the 80 something but I got 10% for the other cause I think I divided the moles instead of multiplying it... The one about the delocalised pi electron systems benzene structure one was weird but I think I got it!! I think I drew methylbenzoate wrong though :frown: Polymer stuff was nice, but what was the name of the azo compound!?!! :eek:
Original post by ms607

i think i got most of the dichromate q and yea i got 39.9 for my calc on it. my other one was 88.3 maybe too, yea the drawing of those A,B,C,D things was tough but pretty good all round paper i thought, multiple choicers were straightforward too which is always nice.
Reply 17
Multiple choice was good yea, overall the paper was good, I just think cause it was our last chemistry paper everyone thinks it was a bit iffy :tongue:

I got the 80 something but I got 10% for the other cause I think I divided the moles instead of multiplying it... The one about the delocalised pi electron systems benzene structure one was weird but I think I got it!! I think I drew methylbenzoate wrong though :frown: Polymer stuff was nice, but what was the name of the azo compound!?!! :eek:

we had it in our notes as 4-hydroxyazobenzene

its so nice to be finished like, what did you draw for the benzene delocalisation one?? before and after?? i think the azo thing was 4 hydroxy azo benzene or something like that
Reply 19
compound D of that nmr question baffled me right till the end

I ended up just drawing a random structure using the C5H13N because it was only worth 1 mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending