Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

iPad for Uni

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right guys, i would really appreciate some help.
    I'm prepared to spend £400 for an iPad with just the wifi, don't need the 3G/4G, which means either a 32GB iPad 2 or a 16GB iPad 3. What do people think of them?
    I will mainly be using it for uni next year in my lectures, as i hate having to carry my Macbook everywhere with me!
    I don't want comments of 'don't get one', as i have a mac and an iPhone and i like that i can link them all up together.
    Does anyone else use an iPad at uni? I've seen a lot of people in my lectures with them and it just looks so much easier than using a massive laptop. I do a law degree and I just can't write/spell fast enough to keep up with the lectures.
    Cheers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawstudent93)
    I'm prepared to spend £400 for an iPad with just the wifi, don't need the 3G/4G, which means either a 32GB iPad 2 or a 16GB iPad 3. What do people think of them?
    I will mainly be using it for uni next year in my lectures, as i hate having to carry my Macbook everywhere with me!
    I don't want comments of 'don't get one', as i have a mac and an iPhone and i like that i can link them all up together.
    Does anyone else use an iPad at uni? I've seen a lot of people in my lectures with them and it just looks so much easier than using a massive laptop. I do a law degree and I just can't write/spell fast enough to keep up with the lectures.
    Cheers
    Spend the £400 on learning how to take notes instead!

but on a serious note, what's your actual question? You seem to have made your mind up on getting one.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, as a CS student about to graduate, having a laptop seemed the best way to take notes, 10mins in the lecture you'd be bored out of your mind and browsing Facebook probably.

Don't do it. (Not that I'm not doing well in my degree).
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Tbh, as a CS student about to graduate, having a laptop seemed the best way to take notes, 10mins in the lecture you'd be bored out of your mind and browsing Facebook probably.

Don't do it. (Not that I'm not doing well in my degree).
    How bad you doing if you don't mind me asking?

Also lol @ the idea of using an iPad in lectures

I doubt the battery would last long enough

Stick to a laptop (not typewriter although that would be funny)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Please don't be that **** in lectures with an iPad.
    Exactly this - Ipads are overrated.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shezshez)
    Ipads are overrated.
    No ****.

EDIT: oh you edited and added context, I apologise.
    I was more talking about how stupid people look when using them. I appreciate that tablets have some merit but not as productivity devices/note takers.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawstudent93)
    Cheers

I have an ipad, my mum got one as a gift and passed it on since she didn't want it, it's no good at all to take notes on during a lecture. Really wouldn't recommend it. My macbook pro is better at taking notes on in a lecture, but the best is just using pen/paper and typing it up later/during revision time
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    First world problems...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Please don't be that **** in lectures with an iPad.
    This.

It makes me want to lob my pen at them
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Sorry that i'm dyslexic and therefore cannot spell, which means that taking notes takes to long for me. And by the time i've written something down, they are on to a completely new topic.
    I cannot believe how narrow minded people are on this forum. Little keyboard warriors safe behind their computer screens.
    I wanted to know which one i should get and what size, not your opinions that my money should be spent else where - thats none of anyones business.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to get one then an ipad 2 would suffice. Howcome you don't like carrying the macbook round, I'd think they'd be more practical.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have an iPad, and I love it. Take it to uni every day, use it all day in the library and taking notes in lectures. Still has loads of battery left for the evening, and then charge it at night.

Tbh, before I had one, I never saw the need for one. I never brought my computer into uni (although, mine is a massive Dell, and I probably wouldn't have complained so much with a mac. Surely they're really easy to carry around already?). But now, I have it, I realise how much I use it, in the library just to quickly look something up, and then I can pop it back in my bag easily so imnot distracted by it (facebook etc.) and in lectures, I always found myself day dreaming and never taking notes when I was handwriting. But with the iPad,I almost write down everything the lecturer says, (I find it really easy to type on it...not like what others have said. But then...I would never write an essay on it!) and then after the lecturer, I handwrite notes from what I've written in the lecture (I prefer revising from my own notes).

So I would definitely recommend, if you have the money...but then you do already have a MacBook....? You do have an iPhone and a mac already though...so I would judge you :P my laptop is 4 years old, and my phone is a £30 piece of crap, so only my iPad is anything that's really worth anything. Plus, I would recommend getting the 3G one. Ive got the 3G one, I don't have a sim card now, but you never know what may happen in the future and you may want one. So I'd rather pay the extra to have the option, rather than getting annoyed in the future that you can't.

Don't see the difference between an iPad 2 or 3. So I would get the iPad 2 for less money. But does Apple still sell iPad 2? I know they stopped the first generation after the second one came out.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    No ****.

EDIT: oh you edited and added context, I apologise.
    I was more talking about how stupid people look when using them. I appreciate that tablets have some merit but not as productivity devices/note takers.
    What about the Galaxy Note 10.1? I am considering getting one which could be quite useful for maths (it has a custom app to recognise the maths you write and put it in a more latex-like format).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha i know it sounds stupid when i have a mac but trust me they get heavy when you do a 30 min walk into uni! and its starting to get really slow because i leave it on all the time.

Thanks for some of the more helpful opinions though. My dad has a samsung tablet and said that tbh if i am to get one i should get an iPad and not one like that - i mean i might as well get one that i can link up with all my stuff!

Another reason for me wanting an iPad is that i travel a lot when i'm at home, i live between my mums house, my dads house and my boyfriends house, and the less i have to take around with me the better.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I get to Uni, I will most likely use my laptop even though I have an iPad.

Why? Because in terms of a working/typing format, the laptop is just so much easier to use. Files are easier to manipulate, physical keyboard etc.

I guess my iPad will be confined to casual browsing, holding my gym routines and email.

Don't get an iPad for productivity.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    iPads are great for long journey amusement and browsing.
    Couldn't imagine using one for typing up notes though.....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love using my iPad for helping with studying. Very practical when I need a past paper or mark scheme right there. No need to carry a bag full of books or loose paper and it has so many other functions which will help.

Don't see anything wrong with having one in lectures. I'd prefer to get my notes down on paper form but it's not disfunctional to type up notes. It's practically as easy as a laptop if not easier to use to type up notes.

I was waiting ages for the new iPad to come out but I can say it is the one piece of tech I've brought in the last 4 years which I couldn't live without now. Everything is so much easier.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to type quickly on an iPad. I've tried, and I can touch type. I did try with a wireless keyboard, but it was just easier to use my MBP. There isn't really a decent app for taking notes either...so stick with a laptop. You'll also look a lot less pretentious.

Or, even cheaper, buy a pen and some paper and a dictaphone.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 7, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.