The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Grade break down at SOAS

I was wondering if anyone could help me, i've tried but could not find information on this and what i read in the student handbook was confusing.

Does anybody know how much first year, second year and third year count for the end percentage of marks for a BA degree? I was told second year is 50% and third year is 50% but others have said second year was 30% and 3rd year 70%.

I was also wondering if anyone knew if you fail a module in second year thats a full unit whether you have to repeat the year of if you are able to go on to third year and retake it then?

I think i might be getting a 2:2 this year, was basically wondering whether it would ever be able to be pulled up to a 2:1 or a 1st, im thinking if second year counts for 50% a first would be impossible?

Any help on answering any of these questions would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Reply 1
http://www.soas.ac.uk/registry/degreeregulations/file60378.pdf

P.38

And... If you get a 2:2 in one year, I doubt that a first is possible. Unless it's your first year of course.
Sorry. :/

(Unless it was only in one module of course!)
(edited 11 years ago)
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
For most courses, SOAS doesn't give you a final classification based on an average mark, but is based on the amount of classifications you have. If you have half or more units of a certain classification, you will get that classification, unless you have two or more units of two classifications below that, which can bring down your overall grade by one classification. Conversely, this can work the other way around, so two units that are two grades above your average can bring up your grade. So for example, if you had eight units, and four were a first, you'd get a first, as long as you don't have two or more units that were a 2.2. If you did, your grade would be dragged down to a 2.1, as one of the four firsts would be 'cancelled out' and only count as three firsts instead of four, but if you only had one unit at a 2.2 and the rest were 2.1s, you'd get a first. Also, if you had five firsts and two 2.2s, you'd still get a first because one First would be cancelled out, still leaving four of eight.

It might look confusing, but it has logic, although I still don't like it as it doesn't account for example, if you had three units or so at 68 or 69 - it would make no difference if these units were 60 or 61.
Original post by Eien
For most courses, SOAS doesn't give you a final classification based on an average mark, but is based on the amount of classifications you have. If you have half or more units of a certain classification, you will get that classification, unless you have two or more units of two classifications below that, which can bring down your overall grade by one classification. Conversely, this can work the other way around, so two units that are two grades above your average can bring up your grade. So for example, if you had eight units, and four were a first, you'd get a first, as long as you don't have two or more units that were a 2.2. If you did, your grade would be dragged down to a 2.1, as one of the four firsts would be 'cancelled out' and only count as three firsts instead of four, but if you only had one unit at a 2.2 and the rest were 2.1s, you'd get a first. Also, if you had five firsts and two 2.2s, you'd still get a first because one First would be cancelled out, still leaving four of eight.

It might look confusing, but it has logic, although I still don't like it as it doesn't account for example, if you had three units or so at 68 or 69 - it would make no difference if these units were 60 or 61.

Is this the case for the LLB Law course too? :confused:

PS: Well done on getting a First! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by lighterthanAyer
Is this the case for the LLB Law course too? :confused:

PS: Well done on getting a First! :biggrin:

Thanks :smile: From my memory of looking at the marking guide and how they generate the classification based on module marks, I think the LLB course is marked differently - the marking guide is somewhere in the depths of the SOAS website I believe, although it's been over 3 years since I looked at it!
What if one has out of 8 units 2 thirds class and the rest 2.2 in the second year. Is it possible in any way to pull up to 2.1 in the final year. How many does he have to get first or 2.1's to pull up the average?

Quick Reply

Latest