Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nokia Lumia 800

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Omg lumia 800 is AWESOME! Everyone around me wants to have a lumia haha. It's the best windows phone ever
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    According to the iPhone it's the best smartphone ever

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_art-353-sirinokialumia_121108431031-200x0.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	148363

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-lif...515-1yntl.html
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i've had the lumia 800 since december 2011 and its a really great and fast phone.
    however it did freeze a lot when i got it, however the constantly release update on zune so you should download all the latest updates and it should get rid of your problems, as it did take care of mine.

however if the problems still persist then i suggest u get a replacement as it is a great phone
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a nice looking phone but isn't high end enough for me. I read a recent review of the Lumia 900 which is basically the same phone but larger. Is it true Windows doesn't have iPlayer app? Or even a YouTube app, let alone Flash support? I was surprised to read that.

I can see Nokia releasing some amazing Windows phones soon, if these two are their first efforts. It's just a case of whether Windows catches on.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol flash support? It is being phased out of all phones as it is so unstable, big cause of phones freezing and crashing. Not sure if it was apple or android but one of them gave them a time limit to make it stable and they couldn't. You can get a third party app to support it. If you mean BBC iPlayer I don't know but its a very new os so isn't going to have everything.

It is an extremely fast and great looking phone. The interface is amazing, and livetiles are fantastic. The 800 is marketed as a high mid-range phone really. The colour clarity is amazing and its a pretty tough phone, mine has no scratches with no cover or screen protector and has survived unscathed being dropped a few times. The real issues for people are that it currently does not have tethering and that it has a max of 16gb space and no ffc, but the 900 has one.

They are concentrating on targeting the budget market that android dominates, the 710 and 610 are seriously cheap. They also have a 41mp phone coming out which is pretty revolutionary but is running Symbian as the phone was in production before wp7. So it may be a while before a like-for-like competitor to the galaxy s3 and one x comes out, though the windows phone HTC trophy would be up there.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarsAreFixed)
    Lol flash support? It is being phased out of all phones as it is so unstable, big cause of phones freezing and crashing. Not sure if it was apple or android but one of them gave them a time limit to make it stable and they couldn't. You can get a third party app to support it. If you mean BBC iPlayer I don't know but its a very new os so isn't going to have everything.

It is an extremely fast and great looking phone. The interface is amazing, and livetiles are fantastic. The 800 is marketed as a high mid-range phone really. The colour clarity is amazing and its a pretty tough phone, mine has no scratches with no cover or screen protector and has survived unscathed being dropped a few times. The real issues for people are that it currently does not have tethering and that it has a max of 16gb space and no ffc, but the 900 has one.

They are concentrating on targeting the budget market that android dominates, the 710 and 610 are seriously cheap. They also have a 41mp phone coming out which is pretty revolutionary but is running Symbian as the phone was in production before wp7. So it may be a while before a like-for-like competitor to the galaxy s3 and one x comes out, though the windows phone HTC trophy would be up there.
    I didn't say it needed Flash support, I said it didn't even have BBC iPlayer or YouTube apps (kinda pathetic really) let alone Flash support.

Flash support is awesome. How can more capability be a bad thing? I updated my HP Touchpad tablet recently to Android 4 and within 10 minutes of internet browsing, I just had to get Flash installed. Many parts of the web use it. Many sites that have embedded videos use it. HTML 5 hasn't taken over yet. Flash is still here! It's not unstable at all.

The main problem with the Lumia 800 was that it came out marketed as a high-end device and was aiming for the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S2. It was even priced higher than the S2. It doesn't match the S2 on anything: no micro SD card slot (yes you need this when your phone is full of music, video and games with no space left), far fewer apps, smaller screen, worse camera and video recording, no front facing camera, no tethering etc I doubt it's faster than the S2 internet browsing either because the S2 is blisteringly quick (general use too, it's lag free but I hear Windows is good in this aspect as well). A similar thing applies if you compare it to the iPhone 4. So overall, priced too high for what it is-- just a pretty looking phone.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    I didn't say it needed Flash support, I said it didn't even have BBC iPlayer or YouTube apps (kinda pathetic really) let alone Flash support.

Flash support is awesome. How can more capability be a bad thing? I updated my HP Touchpad tablet recently to Android 4 and within 10 minutes of internet browsing, I just had to get Flash installed. Many parts of the web use it. Many sites that have embedded videos use it. HTML 5 hasn't taken over yet. Flash is still here! It's not unstable at all.

The main problem with the Lumia 800 was that it came out marketed as a high-end device and was aiming for the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S2. It was even priced higher than the S2. It doesn't match the S2 on anything: no micro SD card slot (yes you need this when your phone is full of music, video and games with no space left), far fewer apps, smaller screen, worse camera and video recording, no front facing camera, no tethering etc I doubt it's faster than the S2 internet browsing either because the S2 is blisteringly quick (general use too, it's lag free but I hear Windows is good in this aspect as well). A similar thing applies if you compare it to the iPhone 4. So overall, priced too high for what it is-- just a pretty looking phone.

There is an official "Youtube app" but no one uses it because it's purely a link to the mobile youtube website. Though 3rd party applications are much better (eg. Supertube, which was Youtube Pro).

I think Nokia had no choice but to push the Lumia 800 as a high end device, and the lack of the front camera was a weird omission when the HTC Radar and Samsung Omnia W came out with one (at roughly the same time I think).

Out of interest, what were the general pricing levels when it first came out? I wasn't in the UK when it got released (was in America where they were drooling over the Samsung Focus Flash and Focus S which I wish they had released here as well).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It has several youtube apps, I am using one and there are others. There are at least 3 that I am aware of. One of them has been praised for being the best out of the youtube apps available on any OS, Metrotube I think. Youtube Pro is another.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/10/tech...lash/index.htm

It IS being phased out, and will eventually be gone altogether. WP7 are merely jumping ahead of the curve on that one. I'm sure the new version, html5 will be fine. But as it stands, flash support is unstable on smartphones and causes crashes. If you type in 'flash causing' on google all the predictions are 'x,y,z to crash'. Not exactly scientific but Steve Jobs has compalined about it and I think he was in a position to know what he was talking about.

As for BBC iplayer, it's not something I myself will be following as I can't, being in the ROI. However wp7 is fairly new, so obviously is not going to have everything instantly. Same for the lack of apps in comparison to android and ios. This isn't going to be permanent and the alternative is what, have the marketplace grow to the same level before releasing phones? It's not something I'd slam it for when they are releasing apps every day. Skype and Viber have both been done in the last few weeks, neither perfect yet. Whatsapp, imdb, facebook, twitter, linkedin, skyscanner, angry birds, loads and loads of xbox games, adobe reader, adobe reader, netflix, kindle and a host of transport apps are ALL there. The gaps will be filled in time. It's pretty fast how much it's growing now. Even the things like no instagram because zynga are reluctant to develop are easily solved..there's a wp7 version called instacam, it's pretty good.

I'm perfectly happy with the apps I have, the only one I am waiting for is for viber to develop voice calls which I doubt will be long as the rest of the app is up and running. Plenty of great games, news, weather (weather updates on live tiles, brilliant), flightradar and skymap because they are just awesome and ones for local transport and handy things like flashlight and voice recorder.

I knew it had no FFC. Skype is not something I'd use on the go anyway. The 900 does have one and so do plenty other windows phones so people can always go for them if the 800's lack bothers them.

No tethering is not permanent either. This is going to be on an update, as are updates for the camera. I find the camera really good. Not going to replace a digital camera, but still fine. With practice taking good quality photos is not hard. I will admit that other cameraphones will best it, sure, but that doesn't mean the 800's is woeful or anything, it isn't. Video is also perfectly fine.

The screen is bigger than an iphone. Personally I think phones are getting too big, the titan and the one x are monsters. It gets to the point where it's tough to hold in one hand, and that's stupid. Personal preference of course.

Now obviously there are aspects that other phones can do better, nobody is denying that. That does not mean that the 800 is somehow worthless. It IS a beautiful phone which comes in several colours with a fantastic interface and great built in apps. Nokia are probably the best company at actually building phones. The glass is amazing and does not scratch. Livetiles are absolutely fantastic. It will have a much bigger selection of apps in time, it's unfair to criticise it when it's years behind the other two.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firegalley246)
    Out of interest, what were the general pricing levels when it first came out? I wasn't in the UK when it got released (was in America where they were drooling over the Samsung Focus Flash and Focus S which I wish they had released here as well).
    SIM-free it was more than the iPhone 4 and SGS2 at around £430.
    Contract prices were roughly iPhone 4 territory. It has come down since but still a little pricey considering the competition.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes Nokia lumia 800 is AWESOME! Nokia is one of best and leading cellphone manufacturing company around the world.It always produces best quality of cellphone for the customer.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by williamsmith87820)
    Yes Nokia lumia 800 is AWESOME! Nokia is one of best and leading cellphone manufacturing company around the world.It always produces best quality of cellphone for the customer.
    I was gonna accuse you of being a Nokia employee, but you said 'one of' instead of Nokia is the best
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Still thinking of getting this, was thinking about the 900 at first but it's too overpriced. Lumia sim free fallen to 340 so might be worth it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you should leave the nokia and try some another brand,which will be best fit in your budget.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nokia lumia 800 is a decent phone, but for the price tag it's still quite expensive compared to other similarly priced phones which have better specs.

If you were asking last month when Nokia had the free expensive headphones with a nokia phone purchase, I'd say go for it. Now, I'd probably go for a Samsung galaxy sII or Htc Sensation XE
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pritesh.Mistry)
    Nokia lumia 800 is a decent phone, but for the price tag it's still quite expensive compared to other similarly priced phones which have better specs.

If you were asking last month when Nokia had the free expensive headphones with a nokia phone purchase, I'd say go for it. Now, I'd probably go for a Samsung galaxy sII or Htc Sensation XE
    Im not sure the headphones were worth it though. Looked on amazon and the reviews werent very good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuze-mo25)
    i've had the lumia 800 since december 2011 and its a really great and fast phone.
    however it did freeze a lot when i got it, however the constantly release update on zune so you should download all the latest updates and it should get rid of your problems, as it did take care of mine.

however if the problems still persist then i suggest u get a replacement as it is a great phone
    Hi I've had the lumia for about a month now, has yours ever just turned off itself and refuse to turn back on until you boot it ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine hasn't, I have mine 4 months. If it happens again consider taking it in for repair.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesse111)
    Hi I've had the lumia for about a month now, has yours ever just turned off itself and refuse to turn back on until you boot it ?
    yh it turned off atleast ten times ... But its been ok for the last 2 months
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyunicorn133)
    Nobody got an opinion on this phone?
    I think it looks pretty solid. Nokia make the most solid phones known to man. They used to be the biggest player and are still leaders in the technology behind them.

Windows is a highly supported os with tons of backing. They are throwing money at the devs, as opposed to Apple's exclusivity and Android's open attitude.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest OP I would say don't listen to your friends!

There's only 2 kinds of phone on the market I would bother with at the present time: iPhone or Nokia Lumia.

That's just my opinion. It's subjective. The choice is yours. Love or hate either or both I would say from experience and general concerns us they seem to be the two that come out the strongest. Samsung Galaxy series devices seem to be the way forward with Android but I'm still not sold.

Hope the phone works out for you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 6, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.