The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well, I understand what you mean by "normal" considering normal is what most people see everyday and society is, as far as I can see, very heterosexual in nature. However, I can say that if it were the other way round, heterosexuality would no longer be deemed "not normal". It is only not deemed as normal because not many people do it and feel as though they would be, well, in nice terms, bullied if they were seen as "different" or "not normal".
Also, people don't "act" gay, there are fruity people in every sexual orientation, not just homosexuality but also heterosexuality.
Original post by HoneyFlux
im saying no. because it is my own preference. although this does not mean i would be angry at the thought or not befriend a family with gay parents, or not let my own child play with the child of gay parents.

i believe the circle of life is between man and woman. i believe a penis is not for insertion in the Ahole, and not to pleasure a man. it is for a womans hole, and to create lives, create human beings. God/the universe or whatever it is you want to call it, made us like this. we have those private parts for those reasons. to make a family.

So in general i find being gay, not necessarily wrong...but (how do i put it nicely..) just not exactly correct either. Its all well and good to feel like you were born gay etc...which i have no problem with. but when it comes to children/family etc..i think being gay is kind of beyond that. be gay all you want..adopt children, fine. but accept that people will not see this as 'correct' behaviour..and i dont think gays can blame people for thinking this way. yes there are single parents out there...or male/female couples who abuse their kids...but thats not the point..i think priority should be given to provide the child with a male/female family environment first. a gay couple i think should be the last resort, in my opinion.

haters im ready.

Actually, in nature, many species don't have a male gender, look up New Mexico whiptail or as they are most commonly called "Lesbian Lizard", they have evolved a life beyond men and no long require to have a penis in their "Private parts" because they have sex with each other (female on female) in order to procreate effectively.
Also, if you think about it (basing homosexuality outside humans for a minute), animals which are homosexual in nature have gone on to adopt younger animals in order to help their species carry on. I don't know if many people have heard of this, but, there were two penguins in a zoo (both male) and developed a relationship with each other. They even went so far as to building a nest. So, there was this heterosexual penguin couple who laid an egg but weren't interested in it.
So, as an experiment, they gave it to the male-male couple, and they successfully hatched and raised the chick.

Why not apply this to humans. Humans are the only species which practise homophobia.
Bull****, look at NYU's place on the ranking: http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/best-universities-philosophy

Fyi I didn't even know MIT offered a Psychology degree lmfao.

Do I, now? MIT BSc Physics and LSE MSc Finance? Yeah, I really do lose on that side with you, I mean, there's no way a heterosexual guy who actually says what he thinks about you people would EVER be smarter than the gay movement... HAHAHAHAHA.

Go with your bull**** research and "save the gays" propaganda to somebody else. Bye.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zalachenko
The advantages of a democracy... freedom of speech. No need to hide my opinion.

While that is more to do with a liberal state than a democracy, I'm glad you shared your opinion, largely because you have supported my views on gay couples adopting.

I mean, not directly, but more by providing a good example of how traditional families can produce intolerant people who fail to understand that with the freedom to express your opinion comes the responsibility to make sure that it makes sense.
Original post by chrisawhitmore
While that is more to do with a liberal state than a democracy, I'm glad you shared your opinion, largely because you have supported my views on gay couples adopting.

I mean, not directly, but more by providing a good example of how traditional families can produce intolerant people who fail to understand that with the freedom to express your opinion comes the responsibility to make sure that it makes sense.

Glad I helped. As a matter of fact I could say the same, not directly of course, but more by providing a good example of how sick certain sections of society have become.

Just to let all of those who think a father-father/mother-mother with child combination is a 'family', here is what comes up when you search for family in both Google and Wikipedia:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=family&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=630&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=YKmfT4jsJ43Z4QTQ_YG-Aw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family

Father, mother and children right? That's it. Any deviations? No. Goodbye to you all.
Reply 186
Just seen this poll.

My take (as a gay man).

While there are more children up for adoption than "nuclear" families that can take them in, then any option is fair game. If a single person / gay couple / heterosexual couple can provide and are willing to provide a stable, loving home for a child, then that child should be placed there.

Stability trumps bigotry.
Glad I helped. As a matter of fact I could say the same, not directly of course, but more by providing a good example of how sick certain sections of society have become.

Just to let all of those who think a father-father/mother-mother with child combination is a 'family', here is what comes up when you search for family in both Google and Wikipedia:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=family&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=630&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=YKmfT4jsJ43Z4QTQ_YG-Aw

Father, mother and children right? That's it. Any deviations? No. Goodbye to you all.

Strenuous research there, Google and wikipedia, though you'll note that the wikipedia only refers to the model you suggest as traditional.

Other things that are or were traditional:

Burning people suspected of witchcraft.
Murdering those who suggested that the earth was not the centre of the universe.
Forcing rape victims to marry their attacker.
Murdering all the male inhabitants of a city captured in war, then raping and enslaving the women and children.

So, to clarify, tradition is a lot sicker than the idea of Gay adoption. Don't even try to argue from tradition.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Actually, in nature, many species don't have a male gender, look up New Mexico whiptail or as they are most commonly called "Lesbian Lizard", they have evolved a life beyond men and no long require to have a penis in their "Private parts" because they have sex with each other (female on female) in order to procreate effectively.

oh come on! puhleez...wtf is wrong with you?...there are ****ing mammals and whatever other forms of species out there that kill the opposite sex, or even eat their own babies etc...so does this make it okay for human beings to do the same???....because some underwater fish monster eats its husband, makes it okay for me to do so?????...**** off!
Reply 189
Have you people never watched Modern Family!! :biggrin:
oh come on! puhleez...wtf is wrong with you?...there are ****ing mammals and whatever other forms of species out there that kill the opposite sex, or even eat their own babies etc...so does this make it okay for human beings to do the same???....because some underwater fish monster eats its husband, makes it okay for me to do so?????...**** off!

No. The argument is that you can't say that being gay is wrong because it's unnatural, because there are both natural things that are good and natural things that are bad; and there are unnatural things that are good and unnatural things that are bad.
It's called the naturalistic fallacy, and people make it so often in arguments about gay people.
(It also isn't unnatural to be gay, so it fails on two points)

If you wanna come back with another argument not based on a fallacy, feel free.
Yeah there's a shortage of couples willing to adopt and being in care or fostered is bad for kids.
Mind you there was also a christian couple who were turned down because they thought homosexuality was a sin... I'd have let them adopt too tbh. Presumably lots of biological parents disaprove of homosexuality too. Think there's too much emphasis on matching a perfect pattern with the current system when there should be more emphasis on getting kids into stable family units.
Original post by Joinedup
Yeah there's a shortage of couples willing to adopt and being in care or fostered is bad for kids.
Mind you there was also a christian couple who were turned down because they thought homosexuality was a sin... I'd have let them adopt too tbh. Presumably lots of biological parents disaprove of homosexuality too. Think there's too much emphasis on matching a perfect pattern with the current system when there should be more emphasis on getting kids into stable family units.

I read the court judgement for that case, and the couple had said to the social worker that they woud try and 'turn' a foster child who thought he/she was gay. I wouldn't want anyone with that attitude to foster an older child (or adopt at all).

But you are absolutely right, the emphasis should be on finding the right family for the individual child, not find a 'perect' family which doesn't exist. Besides, some of the children needing adoption would positively benefit from having a single parent or two women or two men as parents. Depends on the child and their background. There is no magic formula which every child should have, although many people seem to believe that
Original post by SilverArch
I read the court judgement for that case, and the couple had said to the social worker that they woud try and 'turn' a foster child who thought he/she was gay. I wouldn't want anyone with that attitude to foster an older child (or adopt at all).

But you are absolutely right, the emphasis should be on finding the right family for the individual child, not find a 'perect' family which doesn't exist. Besides, some of the children needing adoption would positively benefit from having a single parent or two women or two men as parents. Depends on the child and their background. There is no magic formula which every child should have, although many people seem to believe that

Lol Thank you for showing just how heteronormative society at large still is. :biggrin: Also Wikipedia only refers to it as a 'traditional' family. Acknowledging and going into the many different kinds of families. You should probably have read that before you posted :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

And then you go and post something like this after trying to claim you are smart earlier because you go to MIT? Way to show it :rolleyes:
If the child is happy to be with a gay couple and the couple love the child unconditionally and the child comes to no harm (which is a criteria all parents should meet).I don't see the problem. Who are we to rip away children from happy homes or deny them of happy homes just because of some bigots in society don't like it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Claiming that because it is found in nature doesn't shown that it isn't ok...The burden of proof is on you since you are claiming that it is 'bad' or harmful. You have yet to provide sound reasoning as to why this is so. So far the only thing you have said is, 'because I think so'.
lesbians :headbang:

Gays :mob:
Original post by SilverArch

Well 'all' I got was the guy being interviewed on the radio, where it sounded like loving disapproval, probably what a lot of gays get off their parents.

TBH if he said something in court that a fork tongued lawyer was able to twist round to make it sound like he was confessing to pre meditating child abuse... well nice one by that lawyer - you've ****ed up a childs chances of adoption, hope that 'win' made you happy.

Latest

Trending

Trending