Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should gay people be allowed to adopt?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: Should gay/lesbian couples be allowed to adopt?
    Yes
    78.02%
    No
    21.98%

• 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind homosexual parents but.. if I had a gay flamboyant Dad I'd hate it.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna150)
    Parents who give you hand-me-downs instead of brand new designer clothes.
    Parents who do embarrasing dances.
    Parents who try and friend request you on facebook.

All banned from adopting. This is fun!
    Damn, I've ran out of rep.

Parents who buy reduced foods.
    Parents who prefer small, cheap cars.
    Parents who can't use a mobile phone.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    I wouldn't mind homosexual parents but.. if I had a gay flamboyant Dad I'd hate it.
    Well that's a personality trait that is often found with but has no direct relation to homosexuality. I know straight dads (of other people, mine isn't) who are flamboyant and embarrass their children out in public.
    Example, if Michael McIntyre wasn't famous, but he was your dad, would you hate that? Let's be honest, he's pretty 'flamboyant'.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, all 3 of the points you suggest would be equally true of a child growing up in a care home, but with the addition of the psychological problems associated with institutionalized care.

If they are willing to adopt, by all means let them, we have too many children in need of families to let pointless prejudices get in the way.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Research? Give me evidence of your claims. Of course I've stated a personal opinion, it's as valid as anyone's. It's not biased, it's different to your's and that is why you claim it is. For it not to be biased and homophobic do I just have to say how much I appreciate homosexuals and how they should be able to adopt?

Give me a break, bull**** thread.

(Original post by NYU2012)
    Wow! Great argument you've presented there! Again with you ability to use logical argumentation and present evidentially supported claims!

Oh, wait...

This has absolutely no bearing on whether or not same-sex couples should be allowed to adopt -- merely it shows that you have an inherent bias and will shape your opinions as such.

If you actually took the time to read the research and form an objective opinion, you would see that children raised in same-sex homes are just as well-off and "normal" as yourself -- except they aren't instilled with anti-homosexual bias.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If one more person mentions bloody role models again today… I mean, that's what TV's for!

The way I see it: we have positive people in our life and we have negative people. We should surround ourselves with loving people and good values, and it really doesn't matter who they are.

I don't see my dad and I've turned out okay. To be honest, I don't have any male (dare I say it…) 'role models' in my life. My mum isn't the best 'role model' either. She's a single economically inactive mum of two and tells me there's no point in exams and I need to stop revising and get a life. I love her, but I'm not gunna end up like her.
    BASICALLY, my point is, the whole argument is flawed and simply stupid.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

After battling with my Christian side i say yes "treat others as you would like to be treated"
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they should.

As for point 1 - people get bullied for all sorts of reasons. Being ginger, fat, skinny, smart, black etc... its not a convincing enough reason to bar gay people from adopting kids. Its the bully; not the bullied that have the issues.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zalachenko)
    Research? Give me evidence of your claims. Of course I've stated a personal opinion, it's as valid as anyone's. It's not biased, it's different to your's and that is why you claim it is. For it not to be biased and homophobic do I just have to say how much I appreciate homosexuals and how they should be able to adopt?

Your opinion isn't as valid as research-informed statements, no.

From the American Psychological Association (which happens to be the world's authority in psychology):

http://www.apa.org/monitor/dec05/kids.aspx

Again, from research conducted by and reviewed by the APA:
    "In summary, there is no evidence to suggest that lesbians and gay men are unfit to be parents or that psychosocial development among children of gay men or lesbians is compromised in any respect relative to that among offspring of heterosexual parents. Not a single study has found children of gay or lesbian parents to be disadvantaged in any significant respect relative to children of heterosexual parents. Indeed, the evidence to date suggests that home environments provided by gay and lesbian parents are as likely as those provided by heterosexual parents to support and enable children’s psychosocial growth"
    http://www.acluutah.org/dcfsexperts.htm

More from the APA and same-sex parenting:
    http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/parenting.aspx

More research that children of same-sex parents are just as well-off of their heterosexual parented counterparts:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...823.x/abstract

Here's a basic newspaper article that discusses same-sex parenting:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...der21_ST_N.htm
    (You can get the actual information for the study from the article)

The same with this one:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1208659.html

Do a simple Google search there are literally HUNDREDS of books, research articles, analyses and so on and so forth that clearly indicate that your statement was wrong. Maybe you want to come back and say "The APA is biased". That's fine! Go right ahead - there's plenty of studies conducted by psychologists and sociologists both inside and outside of the US that have all found the exact the same thing. Such research has been conducted by Universities, private research councils and so on.

Go do some research on basic psychology before making such biased and uninformed statements.

That's my evidence and there's plenty more of it, too --- remind me... Where's yours?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:

NYU2012 has given you the evidence.
    Your opinion goes against science, therefore I see no logical reason for you to hold it. I have not said you are homophobic, not yet anyway.
    If you look at the evidence presented by NYU2012 (and basic psychology) and then still hold your belief without giving any counter-evidence that is at least as convincing, I am fully entitled to call you a bigot and/or a homophobe.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I disagree because I think a child needs a mother and not two fathers
    • 36 followers

(Original post by murpo)
    What about two mothers? :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is Simba had two dads, and he became a king, so make of that what you will.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    What about two mothers? :rolleyes:
    I don't agree with it because a child needs a father too, just not two fathers and no mother.

I think a father and a mother both offer different things to a child so if it is two fathers then they(the child) will never have experienced having a mother and what she can offer. Also a child will most likely be bullied if they have two fathers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murpo)
    I grew up without a mother. I turned out fine. Maybe social services should have taken me and my brother into care to protect us from the motherless home environment we were subjected to.

If same-sex couples what to have a child then there are ways to do it without adoption such at surogacy and using a sperm donar. But if they are willing and happy to go the adoption route then surely that's better for everyone? Especially for the children growing up in care.

I don't think that a child growing up same-sex parents will be any more disadvantaged than a child growing up with heterosexual parents. But if for some reason you DO believe that, do you think they would be more disadvantaged than children growing up in care without any family at all?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have never, in my entire time on TSR, seen a thread as positive and non-argumentative as this. Yes they should. But can someone who is against it please enter this thread (with actual arguments, not "no, it's wrong"). I'm bored...
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murpo)
    I don't agree with it because a child needs a father too, just not two fathers and no mother.

I think a father and a mother both offer different things to a child so if it is two fathers then they(the child) will never have experienced having a mother and what she can offer. Also a child will most likely be bullied if they have two fathers.
    There is nothing that can be taught by a mother and a father that cannot be taught by two mothers or two fathers. We don't have traditional gender roles that are set by our sex anymore, this argument doesn't work.
    And for example if a daughter is embarrassed to talk to one of her fathers about what happens when she becomes a woman, there are plenty of potential female relatives they could talk to if they found that easier and (without trying to be stereotypical here, just based on personal experience) a lot of gay men have close female friends.
    Your argument also extends to single parent families, should parents who divorce not be allowed to keep their children? Or if their partner dies, should their children be taken away because they won't have a mother and a father?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murpo)

This argument doesn't make sense. By your logic there shouldn't be any single parents allowed whatsoever. Which is completely illogical because single parents can produce healthy and well off children. Not to mention that basic psychology and sociology say that having a 'mother' and 'father' are not necessary.

And your bullying argument has already been addressed earlier in the thread. If you want to stop people from having children because they might be bullied, then nobody would be allowed to have children ever.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

Well to start with...nobody cares if you 'appreciate' homosexuals. However, you have no argument to say that they shouldn't be allowed to adopt. Unless the two homosexuals are deemed unfit parents (with the same standards used for heterosexual couples) there is no logical reason as to why they shouldn't. There is a mountain of evidence to support what I just said. It has been a big area of research in the past decade or so in the field of psychology and sociology. Maybe you should do some basic research before posting next time and making yourself look like a fool?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    anyone who does disagree with it knows full well if they speak out theyll be castrated by everyone else so they end up keeping their thoughts to them selfs :rolleyes:
    Welcome to airstrip one.
Updated: May 14, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.