The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minimarshmallow
Oh so he should change the record but you won't?
Nothing you have is anywhere close to a good argument. The research you've presented supports the point of the pro-gay adoption argument. The 'criticisms' of the research presented by us do not hold in any way.
You're stuck in your confirmation bias and belief perseverance and until you ditch them there's really no point in arguing with someone who keeps going 'but it is this way because I said so!' when it is explained to you why it isn't the way you think it is.

I already said that boys dont see women as role models and that role models from outside the home are the same for everyone so thered be no problem for anyone if that worked as well as a father several times.

And you can't even back sociological bias with a credible source. Did you even read what you just linked me to? They studied sociologists in california, which is already a liberal state. Hahahahaha you are amusing.
NYU2012

RandZul'Zorander

I'm being ignored again guys :frown:
I wish I cared enough to jump up and down again.

Ah, no, I'm not.
Oh, it's ill informed again...
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm being ignored again guys :frown:
I wish I cared enough to jump up and down again.

Ah, no, I'm not.
Oh, it's ill informed again...

Aw :frown: I don't know why I keep responding. He is a broken record and won't even consider evidence that goes against 'common sense' :facepalm:
Original post by green.tea
I already said that boys dont see women as role models and that role models from outside the home are the same for everyone so thered be no problem for anyone if that worked as well as a father several times.

Can I please have some punctuation?

You have no evidence to support any of this. I know plenty of boys with women as role models. I know plenty of boys who don't see their fathers or who's fathers work long hours and they have other male role models.
Not to mention, as it has been pointed out to you countless times, gender and sex aren't the same thing. You don't have to have a penis to fulfil a 'father-like' role model position, because it is a gender role and not a sex role.

Stop trying to use single-parent research to criticise same-sex families. If you want to use research to form your argument, use research from same-sex families. They're different things.
Of course. They already are used to tantrums and know how to put talcum powder on a sore bottom.
Climategate 2!

I’ve been told that IPCC is above national FOI Acts. One way to cover yourself and all those working on AR5 would be to delete all e-mails at the end of the process. Any work we have done in the past is done on the back of the research grants we get and has to be well hidden. I’ve discussed this with the main funder (U.S. Department of Energy) in the past and they are happy about not releasing the original station data.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2011/11/29/climategate-ii-more-smoking-guns-from-the-global-warming-establishment/

Clearly anyone who doesnt unthinkingly believe research really is is ignorant. :rolleyes:
Climategate 2!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2011/11/29/climategate-ii-more-smoking-guns-from-the-global-warming-establishment/

Clearly anyone who doesnt unthinkingly believe research really is is ignorant. :rolleyes:

Lol you do realize that is only relevant to those specific results. Unless you can show that in the cases we have presented that somehow the results were contaminated then this is completely irrelevant :rolleyes:
Climategate 2!

Not relevant to the current discussion. And the criticism only applies to that research. Or the research you presented from the Prince's Trust would also fall under this criticism unless you personally supervised their research.
Not relevant to the current discussion. And the criticism only applies to that research. Or the research you presented from the Prince's Trust would also fall under this criticism unless you personally supervised their research.

Its valid reason to doubt politically motivated research when it is at odds with research done for the practical purpose of solving a problem (you have provided no logical explanation to your assertions of its irrelevance), personal experience, conventional wisdom and ones own thought on the issue. It will remain valid regardless of the amount of shrill, red faced, abusive, logic-less protestations you and yours can muster.

Can I please have some punctuation?

You have no evidence to support any of this. I know plenty of boys with women as role models. I know plenty of boys who don't see their fathers or who's fathers work long hours and they have other male role models.
Not to mention, as it has been pointed out to you countless times, gender and sex aren't the same thing. You don't have to have a penis to fulfil a 'father-like' role model position, because it is a gender role and not a sex role.

Stop trying to use single-parent research to criticise same-sex families. If you want to use research to form your argument, use research from same-sex families. They're different things.

Like i said when you wanna change the record let me know.

[video="dailymotion;xctlgt"]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xctlgt_hot-chip-over-and-over_music[/video]

Id say this has been worthwhile but since repeating the same augments while your opponent refutes them over and over until they get board isnt a tactic I can ever see myself using it hasnt really.
(edited 11 years ago)
Its valid reason to doubt politically motivated research when it is at odds research done for the practical reason of solving a problem (which you have provided no logical explanation to your assertions of its irrelevance), personal experience, conventional wisdom and ones own thought on the issue. It will remain valid regardless of the amount of shrill, red faced, abusive, logic-less protestations you and yours can muster.

You don't seem to understand how to refute or make points...What you presented is a case specific criticism. So unless you can show how the research we have provided is biased then it is irrelevant. It also means nothing about personal experience and 'conventional wisdom' lol :rolleyes: no where and in no way does it validate those as evidence.

Like i said when you wanna change the record let me know.

[video="dailymotion;xctlgt"]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xctlgt_hot-chip-over-and-over_music[/video]

Id say this has been worthwhile but since repeating the same augments while your opponent refutes them over and over until they get board isnt a tactic I can ever see myself using it hasnt really.

You are absolutely the worst at this. You don't seem to understand that you haven't made a valid argument yet. You have yet to show how your objections are 1. relevant and 2. true. So...until you do so we are content leaving the thread as it is, because everyone can see you are out of your league and don't know what you are talking about :cool:
Reply 811
Yes. If you can provide a child with a loving family environment, then why should it matter?
Interesting that you typed all that rather than simply giving a logical reason why the results don't apply.

(4) If you're going to doubt peer-reviewed research as 'politically motivated', which you have not even shown that the research we've presented is 'politically motivated' -- as it has been peer-reviewed by numerous researchers and is the official position of the APA, then you have to doubt non-peer-reviewed research even more. Since the research you've presented is not peer-reviewed, it's even more suspect to political motivations than ours. Yet again, you've completely failed at logical reasoning since you seem to think the research you've provided is somehow 'more accurate', even though it hasn't been peer-reviewed.

The mode of research on which you rest your entire argument is now highly suspect when there are political implications.

http://newzealandclimatechange.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/climategate-2-and-corruption-of-peer-review/

:aetsch:
(edited 11 years ago)
In psychology we don't accept non-peer-reviewed research as being credible.

There are peer-reviewed papers linking homosexuality to paedophilia. This is clearly a concern in regards to to idea of gays being allowed to adopt, most pro-gay adoption supporters in this thread though have failed to point this out.
Original post by Pyramidologist
There are peer-reviewed papers linking homosexuality to paedophilia. This is clearly a concern in regards to to idea of gays being allowed to adopt, most pro-gay adoption supporters in this thread though have failed to point this out.

No there aren't. Link me to them please if you can find them :smile: I already explained to you and showed where this wasn't true.

Here, I will link you to another source http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/facts_molestation.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Again, lots of typing but no logical reason why the effect of no father would be different with an extra woman in the house.

I'm going to just pretend you aren't actually that ignorant. Also, thank you for being so completely incompetent as to post complete irrelevancies. I love your complete and total lack of reasoning ability -- it's so wonderful.

(1) Climate change has literally nothing to do with what's at hand. Let's refer to what I just stated above -- do you use research on gravity to reach conclusions about hydrogen bonding? No -- thereby, you cannot use this to research conclusions about psychological research.

(2) That's not even a scholarly article

(3) The APA is the world's most respected psychological association, it's far and above the Prince's Trust.

(4) In psychology we don't accept non-peer-reviewed research as being credible.

(5) Unless you can demonstrably show that the research we've presented is subject to 'political bias' your claims are irrelevant

(6) Unless you can demonstrably show that he APA is subject to 'political bias' your claims are irrelevant.

(7) It's a known fact that non-peer-reviewed research is far more likely to be inaccurate and have bias. Translation: The research you've presented is far more likely to be inaccurate than the research we've presented.

Is this really so hard to understand? Are you really actually this ignorant?

Is steam coming out of your ears yet?

If a mode of research is now highly suspect when there are political implications then it is highly suspect in this case. Less so in the case of the princes trust unless you think that the work they do helping people is really all just a means to justify doing research to aid in political mudslinging with mobs of idiots whose vested interests means they wont listen to any sort of reason.
080221-132959.jpg
Again, lots of typing but no logical reason why the effect of no father would be different with an extra woman in the house.

Is steam coming out of your ears yet?

If a mode of research is now highly suspect when there are political implications then it is highly suspect in this case. Less so in the case of the princes trust unless you think that the work they do helping people is really all just a means to justify doing research to aid in political mudslinging with mobs of idiots whose vested interests means they wont listen to any sort of reason.

Let me try to explain this simply. You are trying to say that peer-review isn't reliable right? You haven't shown that. You have shown one example where maybe it wasn't credible. But that was due to those conducting the research, not inherent of peer-review. You are trying to claim that because it was a politicized topic it was treated differently, or something to that effect. Which isn't true. It was thoroughly investigated. In fact after it was investigated it was found that there was no fraud or scientific misconduct. You don't even know what you are talking about. So, to reiterate, even if you were correct you merely showed that peer-review can be bias. But the burden would still fall on you to show where the peer review of the cases we presented was bias. Because otherwise you have no reason to believe they were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climatic_Research_Unit_email_controversy
With absolutely no logical reason as to why. Apart from:

(2) Even if we grant that the research you've presented does apply, it doesn't support your position. The research you've provided discusses gender roles. If you're not familiar with what gender is, I would suggest taking a look at the wikipedia page for some basic information about gender: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender

Gender is not one's sex. An anatomical male can have a woman gender; an anatomical female can have a man gender.

Gender roles are roles determined by society as to what any particular gender ought do -- i.e. how a particular gender should act. Since a female can have a man gender, they can also fill a man gender role.

Boys dont see women as role models despite what gender they think they are. Boys wanna be david beckham, not victora.

http://www2.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=62819

^ no lesbians

http://socyberty.com/men/james-bond-a-guys-role-model/

Might not be peer reviewed, but it is blatantly obvious.

Finally, the research you've presented merely talks about father-like figures, which merely mean a role model should be present in the child's life in some aspect -- not that a parent needs to be the role model.

So, if a parent does not need to fill the gender role model AND a female parent can fill a father gender role, your argument falls apart -- it's been proven to be false. The research you've presented does not support your conclusion.

Which part of the above do you not understand? Please, for the sake of clarity, be explicit with which part you do not understand.

Trouble is when people dont have an in house role model research shows its bad. Anyone can, and most do have other role models but this doesnt prevent the problems.

(1) The APA is more respected than the Prince's Trust.

(2) The APA has existed as an organization since before the Prince's Trust and has been pioneering research in psychology with the goal of helping to further our understanding of human psychology since long before the Prince's Trust -- i.e. they've been around trying to help people since before the Prince's Trust even existed. In fact, it's been around for about 100 years longer than the Prince's Trust.

(3) In the world of psychology, the APA is considered to be the most reliable source one can have (i.e. above the Prince's Trust).

(4) The comparison you're trying to make is not valid -- political biases on climate change have no relevance to same-sex parenting research. And, of course, you've then gone on to claim that "political biases are present in all peer-reviewing!".

(a) Political biases are, in the vast majority of cases, not present in peer-reviewing.
(b) In social sciences, peer-reviewed research is seen to be the most accurate because the goal of peer-review is to remove political bias, among other things. Now, to clarify, since the Prince's Trust research has not been peer-reviewed, it is, according to simple probability, more likely to contain bias, errors, etc.

But, for the sake of simplicity, let's ignore all of the research that myself and others have presented. Looking only at the research which you've presented, our position is still supported -- and it's even supported by your research.

So please, try to understand how wrong you are, as I've taken the time to clearly spell out that your argument is not logically valid; your research does not apply; your research supports our position; and peer-reviewing is always taken to be more accurate than non-peer-reviewed research.

Uea was reliable once.

No reason to doubt yougov.

http://www.brandindex.com/about/faqs/why-data-reliable

Every reason to doubt blinkered left wing "academics" like you and the subject areas they dominate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Let me try to explain this simply. You are trying to say that peer-review isn't reliable right? You haven't shown that. You have shown one example where maybe it wasn't credible. But that was due to those conducting the research, not inherent of peer-review. You are trying to claim that because it was a politicized topic it was treated differently, or something to that effect. Which isn't true. It was thoroughly investigated. In fact after it was investigated it was found that there was no fraud or scientific misconduct. You don't even know what you are talking about. So, to reiterate, even if you were correct you merely showed that peer-review can be bias. But the burden would still fall on you to show where the peer review of the cases we presented was bias. Because otherwise you have no reason to believe they were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climatic_Research_Unit_email_controversy

Absolute ****e. It was a clear cut case of withholding and misrepresenting data with political motive.

Latest

Trending

Trending