Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should gay people be allowed to adopt?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: Should gay/lesbian couples be allowed to adopt?
    Yes
    78.02%
    No
    21.98%

• 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murpo)
    I disagree because I think a child needs a mother and not two fathers
    Did you conveniently skip over all of the psychological research I posted that says a child does NOT need a mother and a father -- but rather, two parents of the same-sex are just as good as two parents of opposite sexes.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As long as they can provide a secure and happy home for the child, then why not!

Surely 2 gay parents is better than no parents and being stuck in care.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    In regards to having two dads or two mums and the whole "well, a child needs a male/female role model" I don't think anyone would say that a single mom or a single dad couldn't raise kids on his/her own -- like in the case that one parent dies. Even if the child has heterosexual parents, no one can guarantee that both of these parents will be present for the duration of their childhood/adolescence.

Plus, I don't think that missing a female or male role-model is a problem in childhood. It's not like boys need a dad to play football with, or that girls need a mum to put their hair in pigtails (and if anyone's seen Matilda, we all know that pigtails are a bad idea!) :ahee:

I'm kidding, of course. But seriously, I do realise that when puberty happens, girls may need some female advice and guys may need some male advice. I get that. But, for example, one of my parents' friends lost his wife to cancer and he has two little girls. Five and seven. For now it's not a problem. He's coping perfectly fine. I don't see why men are seen incapable of taking care of girls... how is that an argument? One day these girls are going to become young women, but no one in their right mind is going to go up to the poor man and say "listen, man, you need to get yourself a new partner because of puberty." That's ridiculous.

I think that by the time the kids grow into teenagers, you'll have acquired female - or male - friends, as well as teachers who may be willing to help and other such role models. Plus, there's information on the internet. I'm sure that the parents would be willing to educate themselves. I mean, technically, they've got twelve years time to understand puberty.
    I never relied on my mother to explain how to do things. I knew because we were taught in school, because I have female friends and because I frequent the internet. I really don't see that as such a huge problem.

As far as the bullying, you're probably never going to eradicate the chance of your child being bullied. Kids are cruel and there's a chance of being bullied if you have heterosexual parents as well. That's hardly a legitimate excuse. There's only so much you can do to protect your kids. There's a chance of them being bullied for being fat, for being skinny, for wearing glasses, for having a different haircut, for wearing purple, for reading, for listening to certain music, for wearing certain clothing, for having dark skin, for having light skin, for being mixed-race, etc, etc. I was bullied for being German. What can you do to prevent that?

Plus, as others have said before me, if you eradicate laws prohibiting homosexual couples from marrying and adopting, it may become more frequent in the future and lesson the amount of bullying.

The whole argument of kids turning out gay themselves is ridiculous and I won't even comment on that. Everyone with a bit of sense knows that it isn't true.
    Sorry for writing so much. I'm a bit passionate about the topic.
    :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandZul'Zorander)
    This argument doesn't make sense. By your logic there shouldn't be any single parents allowed whatsoever. Which is completely illogical because single parents can produce healthy and well off children. Not to mention that basic psychology and sociology say that having a 'mother' and 'father' are not necessary.

And your bullying argument has already been addressed earlier in the thread. If you want to stop people from having children because they might be bullied, then nobody would be allowed to have children ever.
    http://boysraisedbysinglemums.blogsp...sible-for.html

Boys need a male role model. Accepted wisdom except when it comes to this issue.

• 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green.tea)

Boys need a male role model. Accepted wisdom except when it comes to this issue.

A male role model doesn't need to come from a 'father'. In fact much of adolescent's and children's role models are not their parents. They are teachers, athletes, uncles, ministers, etc. (and aunts, and nuns and such to cover the girls). Please accept knowledge, not 'wisdom' that has shown to be utterly false. Children don't need both a mother and father.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    A male role model doesn't need to come from a 'father'. In fact much of adolescent's and children's role models are not their parents. They are teachers, athletes, uncles, ministers, etc. (and aunts, and nuns and such to cover the girls). Please accept knowledge, not 'wisdom' that has shown to be utterly false. Children don't need both a mother and father.
    Gangsters, Pete Doherty, Amy Winehouse etc.

How do you account for the research that clearly shows that a disproportionate number of problem people come from homes without a mother and a father?

Your putting gay rights above the rights of children and of society as a whole.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

How do you account for the research that clearly shows that a disproportionate number of problem people come from homes without a mother and a father?

How do you account for the overwhelming majority of kids who turn out well from single parents? I'm not putting any of the child's rights after gay rights. You realize that the research shows that such situations seem to result from other social factors rather than having a single mother or father. Or do you think we should take children away from parents who divorce, or lose their spouse?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i fail to see any problem with it
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0121135904.htm

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/...e.conf.zy.html

You should also go look at the sources NYU posted earlier.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather have two moms than two dads, just to put it out there!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How do you account for the overwhelming majority of kids who turn out well from single parents?
    Yeah, so if our policy only results in 20% of the affected kids becoming a criminal or killing themselves thats ok because its a minority.

I'm not putting any of the child's rights after gay rights.
    Yes you are

You realize that the research shows that such situations seem to result from other social factors rather than having a single mother or father.
    Lets see your research.

This article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/ja...ll.theobserver
    Struggles to back up its stance with anything other than anecdotes and statistics from single parents themselves asked about how well they think theyre doing. They could easily be turned on their head.

65 per cent do not believe that children of single parents are more likely to suffer low self-esteem than their peers;
    So 45% of obviously biased single parents think children are more likely to suffer low self-esteem. Regardless of their own position as a single parent.

Or do you think we should take children away from parents who divorce, or lose their spouse?
    No. But I dont think life/luck/bad decisions etc often creating situations that are far from ideal is a reason to implement policies that will.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    ~
    (1) Did you skip all of the research I posted?

(2) Do you even study psychology -- because everything you're blathering on about only goes to show that you don't actually know anything about psychology

(3) All of your points have long since been disproven -- go see the statements of the APA.

(4) In case you missed it, all of this research and whatnot that I posted previously:

http://www.apa.org/monitor/dec05/kids.aspx

Again, from research conducted by and reviewed by the APA: (Which happens to be the world's authority on psychology)
    "In summary, there is no evidence to suggest that lesbians and gay men are unfit to be parents or that psychosocial development among children of gay men or lesbians is compromised in any respect relative to that among offspring of heterosexual parents. Not a single study has found children of gay or lesbian parents to be disadvantaged in any significant respect relative to children of heterosexual parents. Indeed, the evidence to date suggests that home environments provided by gay and lesbian parents are as likely as those provided by heterosexual parents to support and enable children’s psychosocial growth"
    http://www.acluutah.org/dcfsexperts.htm

More from the APA and same-sex parenting:
    http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/parenting.aspx

More research that children of same-sex parents are just as well-off of their heterosexual parented counterparts:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...823.x/abstract

Here's a basic newspaper article that discusses same-sex parenting:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...der21_ST_N.htm
    (You can get the actual information for the study from the article)

The same with this one:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1208659.html

Do a simple Google search there are literally HUNDREDS of books, research articles, analyses and so on and so forth that clearly indicate that your statement was wrong. Maybe you want to come back and say "The APA is biased". That's fine! Go right ahead - there's plenty of studies conducted by psychologists and sociologists both inside and outside of the US that have all found the exact the same thing. Such research has been conducted by Universities, private research councils and so on.

Go do some research on basic psychology before making such biased and uninformed statements.

Also, single parent statements do not apply, in any way, to same-sex parents -- they are completely different things. Not only that, what you've stated (that single parent homes are somehow 'bad') is merely correlational. It has absolutely nothing to do with their being only one parent and has everything to do with the stability to the home environment, etc.

Finally, you tried to use a Monty Python video as an accurate academic source for psychological research and knowledge? LOL
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, so if our policy only results in 20% of the affected kids becoming a criminal or killing themselves thats ok because its a minority.
    What are you talking about? Please do some actual research.

Yes you are
    Please tell me which rights exactly.

Lets see your research.

This article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/ja...ll.theobserver
    Struggles to back up its stance with anything other than anecdotes and statistics from single parents themselves asked about how well they think theyre doing. They could easily be turned on their head.

So 45% of obviously biased single parents think children are more likely to suffer low self-esteem. Regardless of their own position as a single parent.
    Lol how about using a real source. :rolleyes: You know like something credible...idk like the APA or a Cornell symposium, or science daily. Or many of the other sources NYU has already linked in this thread.

No. But I dont think life/luck/bad decisions etc often creating situations that are far from ideal is a reason to implement policies that will.
    So you'd rather someone be in a home that can barely provide for them than in a home with two loving parents or a single parent who have passed the same level of scrutiny as heterosexual couples?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Our neighbors are a gay couple who have adopted and they have a far more stable marriage and family relationship than most straight couples. Of course this is just an example but, as long as they fit the criteria, it is wrong to even question whether or not gay people should be allowed to adopt children.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No because it won't bring in a stable home environment for the child.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)

I can personally say number 3 isn't true, I was raised in a heterosexual household and I can say I just don't find the opposite gender attractive.

Personally, since I am unlikely to have kids, I would like to adopt, but, I would obviously ask the kid if they wanted to be adopted by a same sex couple because it could get a bit awkward for them.

1) You have no way of knowing the effects of a homosexual parentage on the sexuality so you cannot say your number 3 was not true.

2) You could not rationally think asking a child if the want samesex parents would give a proper answer they are not old enough to make that sort of decision.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theoneoranro)
    Did you skip over all the lovely research I provided?

In fact, all modern research conducted by psychologists and sociologists have shown that it provides an environment equal to that provided by opposite-sex parents.

Do some research.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theoneoranro)
    How not? :confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The bullying reason is really stupid imo, yes there may unfortunately be horrible kids who will pick on others because of their others - but that's the problem that should be stamped up, not gay parenting. And, obviously, bullying will exist whether gays can adopt or not; no one makes it illegal to be black in case of racial prejuce, ginger in case of antiredheadders - or speech impediments and a stupid first name (the two reasons I got bullied in school)
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

But it doesn't necessarily need to be the father.
Updated: May 14, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.