The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by green.tea
Yeah, so if our policy only results in 20% of the affected kids becoming a criminal or killing themselves thats ok because its a minority.

What are you talking about? Please do some actual research.

Yes you are

Please tell me which rights exactly.

Lets see your research.

This article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/jan/01/deniscampbell.theobserver
Struggles to back up its stance with anything other than anecdotes and statistics from single parents themselves asked about how well they think theyre doing. They could easily be turned on their head.

So 45% of obviously biased single parents think children are more likely to suffer low self-esteem. Regardless of their own position as a single parent.

Lol how about using a real source. :rolleyes: You know like something credible...idk like the APA or a Cornell symposium, or science daily. Or many of the other sources NYU has already linked in this thread.

No. But I dont think life/luck/bad decisions etc often creating situations that are far from ideal is a reason to implement policies that will.

So you'd rather someone be in a home that can barely provide for them than in a home with two loving parents or a single parent who have passed the same level of scrutiny as heterosexual couples?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 81
Our neighbors are a gay couple who have adopted and they have a far more stable marriage and family relationship than most straight couples. Of course this is just an example but, as long as they fit the criteria, it is wrong to even question whether or not gay people should be allowed to adopt children.
No because it won't bring in a stable home environment for the child.
Original post by Scienceisgood

I can personally say number 3 isn't true, I was raised in a heterosexual household and I can say I just don't find the opposite gender attractive.

Personally, since I am unlikely to have kids, I would like to adopt, but, I would obviously ask the kid if they wanted to be adopted by a same sex couple because it could get a bit awkward for them.

1) You have no way of knowing the effects of a homosexual parentage on the sexuality so you cannot say your number 3 was not true.

2) You could not rationally think asking a child if the want samesex parents would give a proper answer they are not old enough to make that sort of decision.
Original post by Theoneoranro
No because it won't bring in a stable home environment for the child.

How not? :confused:
The bullying reason is really stupid imo, yes there may unfortunately be horrible kids who will pick on others because of their others - but that's the problem that should be stamped up, not gay parenting. And, obviously, bullying will exist whether gays can adopt or not; no one makes it illegal to be black in case of racial prejuce, ginger in case of antiredheadders - or speech impediments and a stupid first name (the two reasons I got bullied in school)
Reply 86
http://boysraisedbysinglemums.blogspot. co.uk/2009/01/single-mothers-children-responsible-for.html

Boys need a male role model. Accepted wisdom except when it comes to this issue.

But it doesn't necessarily need to be the father.
Reply 87
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
How not? :confused:

Because you'll be with 2 males/females instead of a ****ing mixture. How is that stable? Anyone trying to argue with these 'progressives', there's no point. Really, don't even try it.

On an ending note, I hope homosexuals don't ever receive the right to adopt. If they do, it'll be the day where society clearly has gone wrong...
Reply 88
YES.
My arguments are based on common sense. If psychology says different, I'll stick to the common sense.

(3) All of your points have long since been disproven -- go see the statements of the APA.

(4) In case you missed it, all of this research and whatnot that I posted previously:

http://www.apa.org/monitor/dec05/kids.aspx

Again, from research conducted by and reviewed by the APA:

http://www.acluutah.org/dcfsexperts.htm

More from the APA and same-sex parenting:
http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/parenting.aspx

More research that children of same-sex parents are just as well-off of their heterosexual parented counterparts:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...823.x/abstract

Here's a basic newspaper article that discusses same-sex parenting:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...der21_ST_N.htm
(You can get the actual information for the study from the article)

The same with this one:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1208659.html

Do a simple Google search there are literally HUNDREDS of books, research articles, analyses and so on and so forth that clearly indicate that your statement was wrong. Maybe you want to come back and say "The APA is biased". That's fine! Go right ahead - there's plenty of studies conducted by psychologists and sociologists both inside and outside of the US that have all found the exact the same thing. Such research has been conducted by Universities, private research councils and so on.

Theres plenty of research that says otherwise.

Go do some research on basic psychology before making such biased and uninformed statements.

I don't need to research psychology to know that a little boy, as I was, see's his father using a drill and emulates this with his toy drill. He see how his dad treats his mum, how he acts in social situations and from this learns his gender role. Theres plenty of research supporting that and I think the rest is *******s and so should anyone else who can't honestly say that it doesn't conflict with their personal experience.
Original post by Zalachenko
Because you'll be with 2 males/females instead of a ****ing mixture. How is that stable? Anyone trying to argue with these 'progressives', there's no point. Really, don't even try it.

On an ending note, I hope homosexuals don't ever receive the right to adopt. If they do, it'll be the day where society clearly has gone wrong...

Do you not know what it means to be in a stable household? :confused: It has nothing to do with the gender of your parents. And we 'progressives' are open to arguments. As long as they are supported by facts, and credible research. You just happen to be making statements that are completely false. All the research is against you. You are just being hard-headed.
My arguments are based on common sense. If psychology says different, I'll stick to the common sense.

Lol 'common sense' has been shown to be a farce. :colondollar: You should really look into psychology. This is all very basic.

Theres plenty of research that says otherwise.

We are still waiting for it.

I don't need to research psychology to know that a little boy, as I was, see's his father using a drill and emulates this with his toy drill. He see how his dad treats his mum, how he acts in social situations and from this learns his gender role. Theres plenty of research supporting that and I think the rest is *******s and so should anyone else who can't honestly say that it doesn't conflict with their personal experience.

A little boy learns how to play not based on their parents. They can. But the major influences seem to be their friends and peers. And gender roles are fulfilled and learned not only by the parent of the same gender. They are taught by society as a whole. They are influenced by so many different people and factors that not having a mother or father really doesn't affect it at all. Your common sense and rational thinking skills seem to be very low. :s-smilie:
Reply 92

This may come as a bit of a shock for you but women can use powertools tool. And men can cook and clean.

Loads of opposite-sex familys don't conform to 'traditional' gender roles anyway. Why is it so important for them to? So little boys can learn how to be hunter gatherers and little girls can learn to be house wives?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Stefan1991
But it doesn't necessarily need to be the father.

Yeah. We could have professional role models that go round to houses of such families in the style of the health visitor to insure that the child gets the required amount of role modeling. Totally ideal.
Reply 94
Yeah. We could have professional role models that go round to houses of such families in the style of the health visitor to insure that the child gets the required amount of role modeling. Totally ideal.

NYU2012 is gay, why are you even bothering to argue with him. He's obviously not going to be against his own beliefs, therefore you'll just be crashing into a wall every time you try.

Lol you really don't seem to understand gender or role models huh? You realize that gender is constructed by way more than just parents. Gender is enforced by teachers, professional athletes, celebrities, commercials, society at large, friends, uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, and so many more. I have already said this to you though. You should just stop. You are just spewing ignorance now. It's worse now because you are choosing it over rational thought.
Original post by Zalachenko
NYU2012 is gay, why are you even bothering to argue with him. He's obviously not going to be against his own beliefs, therefore you'll just be crashing into a wall every time you try.

Still waiting for some kind of reasoned and backed argument from you. Or are you incapable of providing one? NYU's being gay has no bearing on the validity of his points or evidence. So unless you have something constructive to say then just stop posting :colondollar:
Absolutely not.
Original post by Ineluctable
Absolutely not.

care to explain why not?
Original post by Scienceisgood
*Just to let you all know, I AM GAY myself*

Well, we all know there is a controversy as to whether or not gay people should be allowed to adopt because of the typical theme of one of the other;

1. Bullying
2. Not having a male/female role model (Whether gay or lesbian couple)
3. The typical "Without a role model of the same gender, they may become gay themselves"

I can personally say number 3 isn't true, I was raised in a heterosexual household and I can say I just don't find the opposite gender attractive.

Personally, since I am unlikely to have kids, I would like to adopt, but, I would obviously ask the kid if they wanted to be adopted by a same sex couple because it could get a bit awkward for them.

However, there are many kids out there born and are not wanted or their parents are unfit to be their guardians. So, I think if I become a man with a stable income in the future, I would like to adopt because I could provide a home for a child.

What do you think?

EDIT:
It would appear people are saying no on the poll without saying so by leaving any messages. I would like to understand the reasoning behind this by people against it leaving a message to voice your opinion. So far, only 1 or two seem to try and back up their claims.

simply yes - gay parents can be just as good as parents as straight parents, and can provide every opportunity just as any parents can.

i agree entirely with you with your three points - i mean surely it is better to put a child in a loving, but adopted home that provide the kid with all the opportunities in the world than in a childrens home?!

i myself know a gay couple (they are old teachers) they have an adopted son, and they do everything for the kid.. the couple are lovely - they actually spent all of last school year living in a different country every month (they are american btw), and home schooled the kid who was only in year 6, so he didn't loose out on important schooling.. and probably learnt a lot in the process! one dad is a maths teacher, the other an english teacher, so they had all the basics covered...

all the people who go on about whatever bullsh*t are basically prejudice against gay people as far as i can see.. how many of you even know a gay family or even just one gay person?

Latest