The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
It worries me that (generally) TSR users are the more 'intelligent' people of our student population, yet some hold such crazy views despite the fact that they should be intelligent enough to realise that gay parents dont equal gay children!!
Original post by 007dunlop
It worries me that (generally) TSR users are the more 'intelligent' people of our student population, yet some hold such crazy views despite the fact that they should be intelligent enough to realise that gay parents dont equal gay children!!

Yeah. I like you am of the view that anyone who doesnt share my views is unintelligent. Tony blair was a moron who got to be pm by sheer luck. I consider this to me among the most intelligent opinions I hold.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Uh...its not against the nuclear family. I merely pointed out that your statement was not true. You said that a father in the same situation as the child is the best role model. And I showed it false. Now I also said that there are lots of situations where the father wouldn't be the 'ideal' role model, in addition to that one example. I also provided how the role model didn't have to be a male. Your argument that a person needs a father is baseless.

The best role model would be a good father. The best family would be good dad and good mum. An abusive gay couple wouldnt be any better than a mixed gender. Non abusive wouldnt be as good. Therefore not advantageous from the childs perspective.

Evidence?

Its no wonder we're on the decline if this is how we teach our brightest to think.

The evidence is that if you think about it you realise its the case.

What are you talking about? First of all you haven't shown that not having a father was actually the problem. Merely that a lot of people in that situation were involved. However there are many other things they all had in common as well. Your assertions don't logically follow from the sources you keep providing. However, I will agree with you that I don't think the government should be purporting the idea that a 'father' is needed in the family, because the research clearly says otherwise.

No it doesnt. Lack of a male role model is consistently found to have negative consequences.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by green.tea
Its no wonder we're on the decline if this is how we teach our brightest to think.

The evidence is that if you think about it you realise its the case.

OH! Ok, so because you 'thought about it' you are somehow correct? I'm sorry I thought that in order to have a valid opinion it had to be backed by something credible...oh wait....:rolleyes: Please stop posting unless you are going to use something that is actually substantive and credible. So far you posted nothing but useless nonsense. Claiming that 'common sense' is a valid reason for thinking a certain way. If you think about all the evidence that has been provided for you, you would see that our position is actually supported by the cold hard facts. :smile:

No it doesnt. Lack of a male role model is consistently found to have negative consequences.

I am still waiting for you to actually show me the evidence that says that lack of a male role model causes these negative consequences. Mind you this isn't asking for 'common sense'. I'm looking for an actual study that supports your claim.
Reply 124
Politics and gayness = a bad mix !!!
No, every child deserves a mother and father if they can help it. Both provide natural and unique support for the upbringing of a child that 2 people of the same gender cannot provide.
Original post by Charzhino
No, every child deserves a mother and father if they can help it. Both provide natural and unique support for the upbringing of a child that 2 people of the same gender cannot provide.

Prepare to get raped in 3...2...1...
OH! Ok, so because you 'thought about it' you are somehow correct? I'm sorry I thought that in order to have a valid opinion it had to be backed by something credible...oh wait....:rolleyes: Please stop posting unless you are going to use something that is actually substantive and credible. So far you posted nothing but useless nonsense. Claiming that 'common sense' is a valid reason for thinking a certain way. If you think about all the evidence that has been provided for you, you would see that our position is actually supported by the cold hard facts. :smile:

Yeah and I need to provide evidence to prove that gandhi would be a pants role model for a samurai.

Now I know this I've decided to spend tomorrow contributing to human knowledge. I'm going to stand outside my house handing out questionnaires asking people about the colour of the grass and trees. Up until now I'd always been pretty sure of myself but I now realise my opinion on this isnt backed up by credible evidence and more research needs doing in this area.

I am still waiting for you to actually show me the evidence that says that lack of a male role model causes these negative consequences. Mind you this isn't asking for 'common sense'. I'm looking for an actual study that supports your claim.

Well, the most obvious flaw is accounted for in this statistic. http://fatherhood.families.com/blog/absent-fathers-and-the-awful-statistics-part-one#

Father Factor in Incarceration - Even after controlling for income, youths in father-absent households still had significantly higher odds of incarceration than those in mother-father families. Youths who never had a father in the household experienced the highest odds. A 2002 Department of Justice survey of 7,000 inmates revealed that 39% of jail inmates lived in mother-only households. Approximately forty-six percent of jail inmates in 2002 had a previously incarcerated family member. One-fifth experienced a father in prison or jail.

So your position relies on their being an unknown something that just happens to affecting fatherless kids, from all backgrounds, who are similar only in that they lack fathers?
Any depraved couple can adopt kids so why the hell would people not allow gays to adopt? Are they really going to be worse than alcoholic abusive parents? Of course not.
The best role model would be a good father. The best family would be good dad and good mum. An abusive gay couple wouldnt be any better than a mixed gender. Non abusive wouldnt be as good. Therefore not advantageous from the childs perspective.

I apparently missed this in my last quote. 'Best' by what standards. I agree that an abusive gay couple or straight couple are both horrible and neither are deserving of being parents. However, in what sense is a heterosexual couple 'better' than a homosexual couple as parents? Mental health problems? Social acceptability? School performance? Happiness of the child?
Original post by Jimbo1234
Any depraved couple can adopt kids so why the hell would people not allow gays to adopt? Are they really going to be worse than alcoholic abusive parents? Of course not.

Actually they cant. Even smokers have trouble.
I apparently missed this in my last quote. 'Best' by what standards. I agree that an abusive gay couple or straight couple are both horrible and neither are deserving of being parents. However, in what sense is a heterosexual couple 'better' than a homosexual couple as parents? Mental health problems? Social acceptability? School performance? Happiness of the child?

Providing both gender role models. :smile:
Yeah and I need to provide evidence to prove that gandhi would be a pants role model for a samurai.

Now I know this I've decided to spend tomorrow contributing to human knowledge. I'm going to stand outside my house handing out questionnaires asking people about the colour of the grass and trees. Up until now I'd always been pretty sure of myself but I now realise my opinion on this isnt backed up by credible evidence and more research needs doing in this area.

We have already been over how your 'observations' do not validate your view. In fact if we are to look at the majority of cases it would be more likely that you find a person without a father who turned out well. Which implies that it's not necessarily the lack of the father but another factor.

Well, the most obvious flaw is accounted for in this statistic. http://fatherhood.families.com/blog/absent-fathers-and-the-awful-statistics-part-one#

You still aren't understanding how to read/interpret data. Or the concept of correlation does not imply causation.

So your position relies on their being an unknown something that just happens to affecting fatherless kids, from all backgrounds, who are similar only in that they lack fathers?

If you actually read the research you would understand that it doesn't seem to be the actual lack of the father but rather possibly something that is associated with having a single parent. Because these statistics are pretty stable for all single parents. It seems to be the instability and confusion in the family setting. Dating, cohabitation, etc. These are more likely to be the factors that lead to such things. Please do your research better. Besides this it has been shown empirically that homosexual couples don't have the same problems as single parents. Which again implies that it is not the gender role absence that is the problem but the change in dynamics.
Providing both gender role models. :smile:

LOL which you still haven't shown to be important or 'good' in any way. Whereas I have shown that what you say is just false. I even provided an article that explained how the parent need not be male to provide the things that a father can as a role model.
Actually they cant. Even smokers have trouble.

Huh, I didn't realise.
But those people can just have a kid can't they :s-smilie:
Ironic isn't it. We say that they are not allowed to adopt kids, but are allowed to have kids :facepalm2:
Lol RandZul'Zorander's is gay too. Seriously, why are people even bothering, there is no point! You're basically saying to their faces they can't ****ing adopt, this argument will never end!
I think a kid would rather have a family than worry about whether or not homosexuality it wrong.
As for bullying; kids will find ANY excuse to bully, we've all been to school, that's pretty obvious.
Male/female model: do kids really need to learn gender stereotypes? how it is helpful to their character?? What children need, is a role model, not a gender model. someone to teach you about courage, responsibility and empathy. Not how to bake cupcakes, or kick a football.
You've pretty much answered number 3 for me, but even if they do become gay, so what? If someone doesn't like gay people, don't hang out with them. easy as that. and that doesn't have to be a horrible thing, i've had it happen to me, and it's always happened maturely, and frankly. if people feel uncomfortable, they have no obligation to stick around. They always seem to forget, I am just as uncomfortable around prejudiced people, as they are around LGBT's.

Another argument: what makes people think that just because parents aren't gay, it means they are automatically good parents. I was raised by a heterosexual married couple, and i still need the therapy to get over it. messy divorces can happen. Fathers can walk out, mothers can have drug addictions. someone's gender doesn't make them any more or less prone to these things.

It doesn't matter about the sexuality of the couple, it matters about the level of responsibility.
Reply 137
Original post by Zalachenko
Because you'll be with 2 males/females instead of a ****ing mixture. How is that stable? Anyone trying to argue with these 'progressives', there's no point. Really, don't even try it.

On an ending note, I hope homosexuals don't ever receive the right to adopt. If they do, it'll be the day where society clearly has gone wrong...

I hate to be the one to break this to you... but homosexuals DO have the right to adopt... in the UK and the US atleast.
Lol RandZul'Zorander's is gay too. Seriously, why are people even bothering, there is no point! You're basically saying to their faces they can't ****ing adopt, this argument will never end!

Lol you're still a moron who seems to think that being gay affects the validity of our arguments. I feel truly quite sorry for your misguided mind. :smile:

I'm not gay, but you ignored me before...

Latest

Trending

Trending