The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Llewellyn
This is another good question.

There are 32 coins randomly arranged on a table. 16 are Heads, 16 are Tails. You are sitting down at the table with a blindfold and gloves on. You can move the coins and you can invert them (so a tail becomes a head and vice versa). You have no way of telling which coins are heads and which are tails. You must create two groups of coins under these conditions. There must be the same number of heads in each group. How will you do this?

Hint:

Spoiler

Are they put down as heads and tails for you? (i.e 16 each and not random? like 10 tails and 22 heads. I got a bit confused there)

If it is split up for you then split them up into 16 each and flip one set over. I think? I don't think flipping both of them over would make much sense
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Are they put down as heads and tails for you? (i.e 16 each and not random? like 10 tails and 22 heads. I got a bit confused there)

If it is split up for you then split them up into 16 each and flip one set over. I think? I don't think flipping both of them over would make much sense

They are already split into 16 tails and 16 heads when you start.

Spoiler

They are already split into 16 tails and 16 heads when you start.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Heptapus
I guess.. :smile:

They are the best form of revision too - I just can't be bothered right now.. >.<

I find it hard to motivate myself to do biology/chemistry as they're just too long - 1hr45 each. :nothing:

I have finally finished all of my ISAs! Today was my 10th. :woo:
Original post by ElMoro
Guys, I'm going to a taster day tomorrow and we're going to have lectures. Do you think it'd be weird if I recorded them with a dictaphone? :colondollar:

No, everyone at taster days takes notes and no one would notice.

I went to one at Cambridge, and people were taking photos of the slides of the powerpoint about the admissions process. :smile:
Moar? More. Please answer in spoilers.

1. Why is almost every cover circular? e.g. Manhole cover, bottle lid, etc.

2. What was the original reason for all prices being set to one less than a round figure? e.g. £9.99 instead of £10.00 (It is not about the price "seeming" to be less)

3. There are 5 apples in a basket. 5 people each take one apple. How is it possible that there is still 1 apple left in the basket?

4. A policeman sees a van driver go the wrong way down a one way street, then stop by double red lines on the next road. The policeman did nothing, why?

5. A mother gave natural birth to two sons. These sons shared the exact same birthday in the same year, but they weren't twins. How is this possible?

6. A man has 2 cubes with numbers on their faces. Each day, he rearranges them so that they read the current day of the month. He must use both cubes for all days, so the 4th would be "04", the 12th would be "12", etc. What are the numbers on the faces that allow him to do this?
(edited 11 years ago)
here's my attempt:

Spoiler

2. What was the original reason for all prices being set to one less than a round figure? e.g. £9.99 instead of £10.00

Spoiler

3. There are 5 apples in a basket. 5 people each take one of the apples. How is it possible that there is still 1 apple left in the basket?

Spoiler

4. A policeman sees a van driver go the wrong way down a one way street, then stop by double red lines on the next road. The policeman did nothing, why?

Spoiler

5. A mother gave natural birth to two sons. These sons shared the exact same birthday in the same year, but they weren't twins. How is this possible?

Spoiler

6. A man has 2 cubes with numbers on their faces. Each day, he rearranges them so that they read the current day of the month. He must use both cubes for all days, so the 4th would be "04", the 12th would be "12", etc. What are the numbers on the faces that allow him to do this?

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Please try to keep stuff in spoilers if possible :cute: [QUOTE="Refrigerator;37455068"]here's my attempt:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edit: for your edit:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Moar? More. Please answer in spoilers.

2. What was the original reason for all prices being set to one less than a round figure? e.g. £9.99 instead of £10.00

3. There are 5 apples in a basket. 5 people each take one of the apples. How is it possible that there is still 1 apple left in the basket?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I've probably got all of these wrong :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I've probably got all of these wrong :tongue:

2 and 3 are correct. 5 is not biological.

Edit: 1 is also correct, your last sentence gives the correct answer.
(edited 11 years ago)

Edit: 1 is also correct, your last sentence gives the correct answer.

I've updated mine, I think I've got 6 now but the temptation was too much and I read chickenonsteroid's solutions to the 1p and the apple one, definitely wouldn't have got the 1p one myself haha

Spoiler

Original post by Refrigerator

Spoiler

Correct, and interesting, I hadn't considered that either.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Correct (basically).

My solution to 4:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)

My solution to 4:

Spoiler

:sigh:
Reply 834
EMPA advice anyone? ( The written bit)
Original post by --emma--
I find it hard to motivate myself to do biology/chemistry as they're just too long - 1hr45 each. :nothing:

I have finally finished all of my ISAs! Today was my 10th. :woo:

Once I get hold of a computer, all form of revision goes out of the window.

Nice! I have only done one! :lolwut:

So so true! :frown:
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
So so true! :frown:

You missed out on all the fun logic stuff :colone: :colone:

Nice! I have only done one! :lolwut:

:rofl:
:console:

:yep: 2 physics, 3 chemistry, 5 biology. :nothing:

How was your day?
You missed out on all the fun logic stuff :colone: :colone:

I read your answer at the top of the page, but didn't really know what it was about.
I'm actually pretty gutted that I missed them, argh :frown:

Everyone good? :smile:

Latest