Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Current Year 12 Thread Mark VI

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    :console: good Llewellyn needs to do more :daydreaming: fantastic procrastination

Spoiler:
    Show
    I tried a few for the first 10 bottles of wine with 10 prisoners and obviously each person will try one. But if you mess around with the combinations it won't have to be 10.

If everyone misses out the first one and no one dies then the first one is poisoned. If everyone tries the last one and all of them die then you know that the last one is poisoned. Then there's some weird combination mathsy type thing that you'll probably have to do if you stretch it out to 1000 bottles. Just make sure that there's always a time of when 1 person isn't trying the wine.

I'm stuck
    Indeed! Fun :ahee:
    Doesn't that need more people than mine?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm....
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    Could it be something to do with he says drink from the bottle rather than drink the wine?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Indeed! Fun :ahee:
    Doesn't that need more people than mine?
    Nope, it'd need less. Each person can try a couple :yes:
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it'd need less. Each person can try a couple :yes:
    But if a person tried two bottles, how would they know which one was poisoned?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    But if a person tried two bottles, how would they know which one was poisoned?
    it's to do with the combination thingy. I haven't figured it out yet... don't hate :emo:

(Original post by wcp100)
    Could it be something to do with he says drink from the bottle rather than drink the wine?
    I don't think it's anything to do with language :dontknow:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    it's to do with the combination thingy. I haven't figured it out yet... don't hate :emo:

I'm not too convinced with your idea...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too convinced with your idea...
    Neither am I :emo:
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Actually, say a person tried 60 bottles or something, then died. That means it's one of those 60 and the other 9940 are safe, so that could be more efficient. I'd say get two people to try 500 each, one of them will die for certain and you know that the 500 other bottles are safe?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Actually, say a person tried 60 bottles or something, then died. That means it's one of those 60 and the other 9940 are safe, so that could be more efficient. I'd say get two people to try 500 each, one of them will die for certain and you know that the 500 other bottles are safe?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    wouldn't you rather have 999 bottles for the most important banquet ever than 500? because you still wouldn't be sure which of the 500 are poisoned.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I thought of that but then you wouldn't have enough time to test the remainder....else 500 wouldn't be enough.

It's a contrived problem considering how rare wine was in medieval Japan.
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought of that but then you wouldn't have enough time to test the remainder....else 500 wouldn't be enough.

Two people drink until they throw up If they only need a sip surely it wouldn't take that much time!

Spoiler:
    Show
    wouldn't you rather have 999 bottles for the most important banquet ever than 500? because you still wouldn't be sure which of the 500 are poisoned.
    Well yeah but the point was that we haven't found that yet
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Maybe you were right about the ratio though, maybe something like 40 people trying 25 would be better, but I don't know how to make it the optimum number.
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by --emma--)
    :rofl:
    :console:

:yep: 2 physics, 3 chemistry, 5 biology. :nothing:

How was your day?
    It is true. I have an extension to stop that though! Will be using it in a minute.

At least they are ovre!

It was okay thank you - finished my music composition now!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heptapus)

It was okay thank you - finished my music composition now!
    Ooh, well done!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

I'm sorry... I was just trying to make the question more interesting

But you're right about the time problem, there would only be time for one set of runs.
    x
    x
    I will say that there are no wording errors. The situation doesn't really matter. Basically, you have to find which 1 of the 1000 bottles is poisoned, you have any possible number of people to use for this, what is the lowest number you can use?

And what is the max. number of people that will definitely die using this method?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    I will say that there are no wording errors. The situation doesn't really matter. Basically, you have to find which 1 of the 1000 bottles is poisoned, you have any possible number of people to use for this, what is the lowest number you can use?

And what is the max. number of people that will definitely die using this method?
    I know there are no wording errors. the number of people that'll definitely die is 1.

I think it's like >20 people. It's feeling not a calculation I have history to do :moon:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    I'm sorry... I was just trying to make the question more interesting

But you're right about the time problem, there would only be time for one set of runs.
    d?
    I know. I was just being picky because I couldn't solve it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hello.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom181)
    Hello.
    Salve.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Salve.
    Don't start with the latin.
Updated: August 13, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.