The Student Room Group

Bocconi BIEMF or York PPE??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by shake_it
I don't think I would like to live in such a small city, it's not that prestigious in Econ as it is in PPE. Anyway, still fingers crossed for UCL. If I miss the offer, I will think what to do next.

Good luck, dinaro :wink:

oh I see..best of luck with UCL!!! :smile:
Reply 21
Not being that knowledgeable on international uni's Ive never heard of Bocconi, but if you want to work in England later on then go for York.
PPE is VERY highly respected.

<3 x
Reply 22
Original post by Polygoof
I truly think all of this is extremely subjective and probably depends on the expectations and benchmarks a student has based on previous experiences or other ideas.
It may be that some things can appear different to a person used to UK/USA standards of organization and quality, but one should also bear in mind that the BIEMF is quite new as a course and constantly evolving.
The course itself can be compared to a start-up environment, though the university itself is like a little Harvard according to some employers.

For me, the main indicators are how acclaimed the professors are (publications, positions in research, etc.) and the companies that recruit at the university.
Most BIEMF graduates have landed positions at the top IBs or other big names throughout every industry. Many BIEMF graduates have been admitted to places like Harvard, Oxbridge and LSE for postgraduate.
When I say "many" it even just 10, but some universities don't send ANYONE AT ALL to do postgraduate at the Ivy League or Red Brick.

Do you know what kind of sector you would like to work in afterwards?

Personally, I wouldn't sacrifice the benefits and fringe benefits of going to Bocconi just to keep up with my language.
Also, the student body is VERY international, and you will surely find other British people to hang out with so you don't return to "maccheronic" :wink:

Which equals an average of 27 to 28 out of 30 plus a well-written thesis plus extra-curriculars or international exchange, internships, etc. It is very easy if you are a careful student, follow through lessons, are in touch with professors/assistants and do your homework properly :smile:

As far as I know, it is easier for an organized student to get 110 in Italy than for a good student to get a 1st class in the UK.

Can I ask you, are you studying or have studied at Bocconi?you sound very well informed :smile:

What I'd like to do afterwards, is to take a master in either Economics or Finance in Oxford or LSE. So that's why I am wondering whether York would give me better chances to get in there than Bocconi. (or maybe I could take a master in Bocconi AFTER having graduated from York?) not too sure what would be better here tbh :biggrin: ..also given that in York I 'd be more likely to become fluent in spoken English and this could give me muuch better advantages to get in Oxford or lse for a master, I assume...
Reply 23
Original post by LETSJaM
Not being that knowledgeable on international uni's Ive never heard of Bocconi, but if you want to work in England later on then go for York.
PPE is VERY highly respected.

<3 x

Thank you for your opinion.. :smile: The thing is I think I just wanna do a master later on in the UK but then possibly work internationally..Bocconi may be better known internationally than York, but York could provide me an easier access to Oxford or LSE to do a master there sooo that's why I am so undecided :confused:
Reply 24
Original post by dianaro
Can I ask you, are you studying or have studied at Bocconi?you sound very well informed :smile:

Very close and personal connections :smile:

What I'd like to do afterwards, is to take a master in either Economics or Finance in Oxford or LSE.

I mean, job/career-wise, what do you aim at. Academia, become an economist, etc.? Or private sector, i-banking?
Basically you should know why exactly you want to pursue a Master. Based on that reason you can choose the university, too.
If you don't want to enter academia/research and want to enter i-banking or companies, a good BIEMF is enough to open many doors - no need any masters.
If you have any specific interests in economics, try to find out which university covers the specific subjects you like most, and which professors conduct the courses, their reputation in the relevant fields, etc.

So that's why I am wondering whether York would give me better chances to get in there than Bocconi. (or maybe I could take a master in Bocconi AFTER having graduated from York?) not too sure what would be better here tbh :biggrin: ..also given that in York I 'd be more likely to become fluent in spoken English and this could give me muuch better advantages to get in Oxford or lse for a master, I assume...

Frankly speaking, If you are really good and ambitious and achieve good grades, you will get wherever you want regardless of the name and location of the university :smile:
There are many factors of course, and university reputation is only one of them.

Consider other factors, too, and don't be deceived by first impressions.

But of course stick to your requirements: if living in a purely British environment truly matters to you, esp to improve your English, then York would obviously serve you better than Bocconi.
Reply 25
Original post by dianaro
Ciaao:wink: yes I have heard too that they have a weird method to grade exams (not sure why though!)..

Some students may worry about the fact that the final grade of a module may include project work and homework or presentations. For example, your final grade in corporate finance may be based on written exam (60%), homework (20%) and some teamwork/project (20%).
Traditionally, Italian universities give the written exam 100% weight on final grade.

and yes another thing that worries me is that at Bocconi there seems to be MUCH LESS student life than in UK unis. I mean, I bet you are not only studying on books 24/7 in Birmingham even though it's a really good uni, am I correct?and same in York, I just feel there is so much more opportunity for social/leisure/sport activities than at Bocconi (like all italian unis seem to lack)..what do you personally think?

This is very personal and subjective. If this were not a public forum I would say "che strxxxata!!"
But the impression may be simply due to the fact that many UK universities have a tradition of student societies, university associations at the university campus. Many students participate at them because they know it matters on the CV and when applying for jobs, and they are the main if not only ways of socializing in the university-towns.
You get them also at Italian universities but not as many students participate as in the UK.

Nonetheless, Bocconi has some of the biggest subject-specific student societies in Europe, is part of various international student networks and the existing ones organize tons of stuff ranging from trips, megaconferences/summits and other things that are of quite high standard.
Clubbing? Eh, you want to compare clubbing in Milan vs clubbing in York!? lol

Milan is quite mature in terms of social life and a being a social city.

Having said this, it may also be that you, as an Italian, want to be more in touch in a foreign environment, live in another country, gain experiences different from those you would gain in your own country. Weigh these things, too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by dianaro
Thank you for your opinion.. :smile: The thing is I think I just wanna do a master later on in the UK but then possibly work internationally..Bocconi may be better known internationally than York, but York could provide me an easier access to Oxford or LSE to do a master there sooo that's why I am so undecided :confused:

Well whatever you do, I wish you good luck!

<3 x
Reply 27
Original post by LETSJaM
Well whatever you do, I wish you good luck!

<3 x

Thaank you and to you :biggrin: x
Reply 28
Original post by Polygoof
Some students may worry about the fact that the final grade of a module may include project work and homework or presentations. For example, your final grade in corporate finance may be based on written exam (60%), homework (20%) and some teamwork/project (20%).
Traditionally, Italian universities give the written exam 100% weight on final grade.

This is very personal and subjective. If this were not a public forum I would say "che strxxxata!!"
But the impression may be simply due to the fact that many UK universities have a tradition of student societies, university associations at the university campus. Many students participate at them because they know it matters on the CV and when applying for jobs, and they are the main if not only ways of socializing in the university-towns.
You get them also at Italian universities but not as many students participate as in the UK.

Nonetheless, Bocconi has some of the biggest subject-specific student societies in Europe, is part of various international student networks and the existing ones organize tons of stuff ranging from trips, megaconferences/summits and other things that are of quite high standard.
Clubbing? Eh, you want to compare clubbing in Milan vs clubbing in York!? lol

Milan is quite mature in terms of social life and a being a social city.

Having said this, it may also be that you, as an Italian, want to be more in touch in a foreign environment, live in another country, gain experiences different from those you would gain in your own country. Weigh these things, too.

Ok thanks a billion for all your advice, it's really helpful..! I think I will write down a sort of cost-benefit analysis of all good and bad points about each uni and then decide!ahah.. Thank you again :smile:
Reply 29
I mean, job/career-wise, what do you aim at. Academia, become an economist, etc.? Or private sector, i-banking?
Basically you should know why exactly you want to pursue a Master. Based on that reason you can choose the university, too.
If you don't want to enter academia/research and want to enter i-banking or companies, a good BIEMF is enough to open many doors - no need any masters.
If you have any specific interests in economics, try to find out which university covers the specific subjects you like most, and which professors conduct the courses, their reputation in the relevant fields, etc.

I am really not sure about what to do afterwards...some time ago I thought about working for an Italian embassy abroad since I can speak Italian, English, French pretty fluently and other reasons..now I don't really know (even thought workling for an embassy stills appeals to me).. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending