The Student Room Group

Hospital Pre-reg applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Orlbr
I'm also waiting for a reply from Addenbrook's! Got put on the reserve list for UCLH- does anyone know how likely it is to be invited for interview once placed on the reserve list? Does it depend on someone else declining their interview?

Yes it does depend on someone else declining their invitation to an interview.
Reply 81
Original post by manupalace
Congrats to all who have interviews, I remember being in your position last year. Any Qs just ask , though all my hospitals were in London so may not be I of much use to many of you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Any tips on questions to prepare? I've an interview for the marsden. Panicking about clinical questions! Thanks in advance
Reply 82
Original post by Rx23
Thanks Patsy, well done to you too! Yes it is on Monday, at 10:30am. When is yours?

Monday at 2. I'm coming from Glasgow so glad it's a little later. I'm stressing so much for this. Heard of anyone else getting interviews? I'm hoping there short.

Interview for Newcastle on Wednesday, Scottish places released on Wednesday too so that going to be a stressful day !
Original post by patsy
Any tips on questions to prepare? I've an interview for the marsden. Panicking about clinical questions! Thanks in advance

That's difficult as clinical questions varied greatly between hospitals last year both in the questions themselves and whether they were asked at all. I wasn't asked any at my interviews (I targeted my applications in this way) but recall people mentioning a wide variety of questions such as the difference between heparin and LMWHs, treatments for MRSA. I'd imagine a lot at the marsden would focus on oncology, infection type stuff and other stuff related to chemo side effects. But remember many conditions that develop after chemo or radiotherapy have their own treatments. Also be prepared for scenario type questions, questions about role of a pharmacist, difference between hospital and community, why us, why hospital, how can pharmacy be more efficient. They might also throw curve balls like asking about weaknesses. I was asked to talk about a time I failed (needless to say my answer was a cheese fest, but it seemed to go down well, lol).

There may be others from last years thread that had marsden interviews (i did not apply there and don't know anyone who did) and will be happy to help within reason.

Once again I wish you all good luck with your apps and interview, and hopefully further interviews

Also to those waiting on GOSH they did take a long time last year and held interviews quite late so don't give up hope.
Most importantly congrats on getting an interview, not everyone gets this far. Remember everyone is nervous and they account for this, just take your time, admit if you dont know something but make sure you say where you would look (can only get away with this once or twice max though IMO).

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 84
Does anyone know what the Barts and the London interview is like? I heard that last year there was a 20minute test?
-xXx-
Reply 85
Original post by Tzoeule
Sorry to hear! Which other hospitals did you apply to?

Realised I didn't say which hospitals I Applied to duh! NW trust, Ealing, South London and st George's.
I have a feeling bulk of replies for interview (or rejection) will be on Monday, not looking forward to it.

Good to know there are still people who went through the pre-reg application process last year still around :smile:

Has any one applied to community as well (dare I say, as a back up)
Reply 86
Original post by manupalace
That's difficult as clinical questions varied greatly between hospitals last year both in the questions themselves and whether they were asked at all. I wasn't asked any at my interviews (I targeted my applications in this way) but recall people mentioning a wide variety of questions such as the difference between heparin and LMWHs, treatments for MRSA. I'd imagine a lot at the marsden would focus on oncology, infection type stuff and other stuff related to chemo side effects. But remember many conditions that develop after chemo or radiotherapy have their own treatments. Also be prepared for scenario type questions, questions about role of a pharmacist, difference between hospital and community, why us, why hospital, how can pharmacy be more efficient. They might also throw curve balls like asking about weaknesses. I was asked to talk about a time I failed (needless to say my answer was a cheese fest, but it seemed to go down well, lol).

There may be others from last years thread that had marsden interviews (i did not apply there and don't know anyone who did) and will be happy to help within reason.

Once again I wish you all good luck with your apps and interview, and hopefully further interviews

Also to those waiting on GOSH they did take a long time last year and held interviews quite late so don't give up hope.
Most importantly congrats on getting an interview, not everyone gets this far. Remember everyone is nervous and they account for this, just take your time, admit if you dont know something but make sure you say where you would look (can only get away with this once or twice max though IMO).

Your a star! Your post is really helpful thnx
Reply 87
Hi, I've been invited to an interview from UCLH (surprisingly!)

Anyone know what to expect in hospital interviews? or more specifically, UCLH interviews?? :confused:
Reply 88
Original post by Rx23
Thanks Patsy, well done to you too! Yes it is on Monday, at 10:30am. When is yours?

Good luck with your interview today :smile:
Reply 89
Thanks manupalace for the help - it's really useful information. When you say GOSH replies late - how late? lol

And anyone who know when Imperial usually responds? I am just waiting eagerly. I mean I know I most probably don't have a shot, but this waiting is so slow, and tedious lol.
Reply 90
Hi all!
new to this so hope doing this right!
I have an interview for the ''south east'' region next Tuesday and it is an assessment day! calculations paper, written assessment, role play and a face to face interview with a panel! and I was wondering if anyone has any idea of what sort of things will be on the written assessment and what they will ask!
I am super nervous!
Also, I heard from imperial today and got rejected, so no news is good news as a lot of my friends have not heard anything!
Also, I've heard that in the UCLH interview they ask a clinical question on a drug such as mechanism of action, side effects etc, when is your interview? good luck! :smile:
Original post by Tzoeule
Thanks manupalace for the help - it's really useful information. When you say GOSH replies late - how late? lol

And anyone who know when Imperial usually responds? I am just waiting eagerly. I mean I know I most probably don't have a shot, but this waiting is so slow, and tedious lol.

Can't remember quite how late but they were the last to get back to me for interview and their interviews were after everyone else's. Not sure if it was their usual response time or if they were just slow last year. Also they ended up in second round, because loads of people had to accept offers from other places before GOSH interviews.

The best indication is each other, see if other people have heard from your hospital, if no one has heard then you have nothing to worry about. I know it feels like UCAS all over again but trust me the hospitals are a lot faster and the gap between interview and hearing back is short, I didn't have to wait longer than a day or so to hear back (though these were offers if you're on the reserve list it may take longer).

Reply 92
Hi guys, new here

I applied to south London, hillingdon and mv, Gosh and imperial

I heard back from hillingdon today and have been invited to an interview (don't know when yet) but heard nothing from the others really wanna hear from imperial!!!
So I just received an email from pharmalife saying that i've got interviews with all four of the hospitals I applied to.
Pretty nervous now....
what are you guys doing to prepare? =P

Brighton and Sussex, East Sussex, Western Sussex, and Portsmouth for me
Original post by monkeyolsen
So I just received an email from pharmalife saying that i've got interviews with all four of the hospitals I applied to.
Pretty nervous now....

Congratulations, and of course... Good luck!!
Reply 95
Original post by monkeyolsen
Pretty nervous now....

Congratz and well done!! I'm reading over my profile and trying to answer in my head basic questions like why and what can you bring blah blah just those common interview questions for any job.
from what I remeber from my placement interviews the questions they asked was to established what Kind of person you are to establish what u could bring and how you would fit in.
Btw did you attend any open days for any of the hospitals you picked?
Original post by Purpledays
Congratz and well done!! I'm reading over my profile and trying to answer in my head basic questions like why and what can you bring blah blah just those common interview questions for any job.
from what I remeber from my placement interviews the questions they asked was to established what Kind of person you are to establish what u could bring and how you would fit in.
Btw did you attend any open days for any of the hospitals you picked?

Thanks!
yeah I'm doing the same thing as you, also looking at the PJ and some question banks and stuff (that book by Nadia Bukhari has a good question bank, so I'm looking through that and trying to figure out what I would say to them)
From what I know talking to people who've done both hospital placements and hospital pre-reg, they say the interview can be quite different.
Do any of you have any calculations/written/roleplay assessments, any idea what those are about?

Edit:
sorry, forgot about your last question. I did a couple school-organized placements at Conquest Hospital in Hastings (that's part of the East Sussex Hospital Trust), and I did one at BSUH, but I haven't attended any of their open days. I went to one at Barts and the London hospitals though. I've been told that all the programs are quite similar though. How about you?
(edited 11 years ago)
I've updated the first post as requested, sorry it took so long.
Reply 98
Original post by patsy
Good luck with your interview today :smile:

Thanks patsy, hope yours went well :smile: I found it strange... Easier than I thought it would be! Didn't need to use like any of the prep work I did for it :/ the marsden is my first choice though so really hope I did OK! How did yours go?
Also an update to my situation... Got an interview next Monday with west Sussex, but been rejected from Brighton :frown: Brighton was actually my last choice so Im not too worried, but still horrible seeing that rejection email from pharmalife :frown:!xx
Reply 99
Yeah exactly the same I was expecting it to be a lot harder.

Anyone else got a Newcastle interview tomorrow?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending