Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

The Commons Bar Mk VI

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    Many books have been written on that subject. Many books. By Enid Blyton.
    Blyton? Seems legit.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    If by "North America" you mean that rebellious bit with a penchant for electing bad politicians then sure. However, in Canada you can find ale in several places. It's not Yorkshire Bitter, but then neither is most Yorkshire Bitter these days. Quebec is the place to look for it.
    Okay thanks. I'll see what's available when I go to Quebec City tomorrow
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    Okay thanks. I'll see what's available when I go to Quebec City tomorrow
    One warning - if the ale is described as American in any way - run, run like hell. They seem to have no idea how to brew a nice pint.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    One warning - if the ale is described as American in any way - run, run like hell. They seem to have no idea how to brew a nice pint.
    Haha, I'll take that into consideration; I would have thought that Quebec will hate the USA more than the rest of Canada though
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Nice to meet a fellow classicist then. I was the same as you, but when learning Latin in school, I didn't care too much for the culture, but for how the language worked. There isn't a great deal to the structure of the language after a while really. GCSE covers a lot of the linguistics and A level just about covers all you need to know for a degree. I'm not into the philosophy too much, but I have read bits of Plato and Xenophon in Greek. What have you read then?
    Not much yet, just translations of The Odyessy, and parts of The Republic and The Iliad. I'm hoping to read some Cicero within the next two months or so, though, and perhaps the Aeneid. I've also got some Seneca ordered. It's all just stuff I wouldn't have considered if I hadn't started, and I'm started to get more interested in it all. So nothing particularly substantial or adventurous yet.

Do you have any recommendations?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If this is a bar then who's the barman?!?
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DebatingGreg)
    Not much yet, just translations of The Odyessy, and parts of The Republic and The Iliad. I'm hoping to read some Cicero within the next two months or so, though, and perhaps the Aeneid. I've also got some Seneca ordered. It's all just stuff I wouldn't have considered if I hadn't started, and I'm started to get more interested in it all. So nothing particularly substantial or adventurous yet.

Do you have any recommendations?
    It all depends on what your interest is. The Odyssey, Iliad and Aeneid are all good starting points and epic is where I started when I read texts in translation and in Latin/ Greek for the first time. Cicero is good, but I have to admit that I'm committing the cardinal sin in my class for not actually liking Cicero. What are you interested in then?
    • 84 followers

ReputationRep:
    Awesomely lame. Like a post-Grand National horse. Ooh - youtube Pokey Lafarge, I think you might enjoy their blend of blues and old-timey strings.

I take it: The Commons Bar Mk VI - Return of the Sherry?
    That is some good music. Thanks for the recommendation.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lipvig)
    If this is a bar then who's the barman?!?
    The deputy speaker isn't it?
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love this cartoon strip
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: jpg 5450.jpg (409.8 KB, 18 views)
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I love this cartoon strip
    Nice. I was trying to look if the various colour backgrounds spell something out, but they don't.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's what we have come to know as the Thunder and Jazz gambit.
    Many books have been written on that subject. Many books. By Enid Blyton.
    Well aren't you a bouchedag
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Och, I meant very little by it. Even less at quarter to one in the morning. I'd be wasting my time trying to wind you up, really.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've only just realised. Kidding Adorno :shifty:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got mentioned on the local radio station :woo: (even though I didn't request the song )
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Och, I meant very little by it. Even less at quarter to one in the morning. I'd be wasting my time trying to wind you up, really.
    You've only just realised. Kidding Adorno :shifty:
    Winding him up is fun too. I'm writing a hilariously English focussed dissertation on political trust in Britain as we speak, the only mention of anything Welsh in it is when one of my focus group participants made a joke about Plaid.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    They are, but I'm not a fan of Hippolytus. It's too rushed for me and the plot isn't allowed to develop properly. Medea is an amazing play. Oedipus Rex is good. At least it's not Oedipus at Colonus. What course is that then?
    A2 classical civilisation. There's no language element because it's state school, which is unfortunate.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Winding him up is fun too. I'm writing a hilariously English focussed dissertation on political trust in Britain as we speak, the only mention of anything Welsh in it is when one of my focus group participants made a joke about Plaid.
    Just say England? People seem to have this idea about me but in reality all I was ever asking for was that when people here use Britain, they actually take care to think about the various parts of Britain and not just assume that their bit of England suffices for all. That said, a joke about Plaid? I thought Plaid was simply shorthand for a joke.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Adorno baiting is a fun sport, but it's so easy that it's lost its appeal. It's now fun to see him rip others' views to shreds now.

Just say England? People seem to have this idea about me but in reality all I was ever asking for was that when people here use Britain, they actually take care to think about the various parts of Britain and not just assume that their bit of England suffices for all. That said, a joke about Plaid? I thought Plaid was simply shorthand for a joke.
    I've learned a word of Welsh then. Plaid = joke

(Original post by JPKC)
    A2 classical civilisation. There's no language element because it's state school, which is unfortunate.
    True. It's nice to try to learn any aspect of the language. How are you finding the course?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nah it's a UK wide dissertation, I've got plenty of material on Scottish and Welsh matters (though sweet f a on Northern Ireland), it's just that most of the participants that ended up turning up were English.
Updated: October 8, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.