Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

The Commons Bar Mk VI

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    True. It's nice to try to learn any aspect of the language. How are you finding the course?
    It's fine, the tutor's a right laugh. He's basically a 21st Century Socrates - ill-tempered, extrospective, bearded.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on what your interest is. The Odyssey, Iliad and Aeneid are all good starting points and epic is where I started when I read texts in translation and in Latin/ Greek for the first time. Cicero is good, but I have to admit that I'm committing the cardinal sin in my class for not actually liking Cicero. What are you interested in then?
    Literature and politics are my two main interests, but I'm quite open other than that. A play would be nice, but as for particulars I don't really mind. Just something vaguely interesting and not incomprehensible
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    It's fine, the tutor's a right laugh. He's basically a 21st Century Socrates - ill-tempered, extrospective, bearded.
    Every single classics teacher I've ever known has been ill-tempered and extrospective. Usually with very good senses of humour and an uncanny ability to throw board rubbers.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DebatingGreg)
    Literature and politics are my two main interests, but I'm quite open other than that. A play would be nice, but as for particulars I don't really mind. Just something vaguely interesting and not incomprehensible
    I started with Euripides' Medea. That play is well worth a read. Latin drama isn't particularly exciting really. Plautine comedy is a little too complicated, I understand that Terence's comedies are as well and Greek tragedy is seen as far superior to Senecan tragedy.

(Original post by JPKC)
    All the best classicists are . What modules are you taking then?
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    Every single classics teacher I've ever known has been ill-tempered and extrospective. Usually with very good senses of humour and an uncanny ability to throw board rubbers.
    I must have had a different experience to you lot. I've never had an ill-tempered classics teacher.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, perhaps ill-tempered isn't the right word. Cantankerous?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I started with Euripides' Medea. That play is well worth a read. Latin drama isn't particularly exciting really. Plautine comedy is a little too complicated, I understand that Terence's comedies are as well and Greek tragedy is seen as far superior to Senecan tragedy.
    Oh thanks. I know my teacher seems to like it as well, so it'll be interesting to see what he says
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, perhaps ill-tempered isn't the right word. Cantankerous?
    Yeah you still seem to have had a different experience to me. Mind you, I was taught by graduates and the head of department wasn't even forty so I'm assuming that they aren't as jaded as your teachers were/ are.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had a Physics teacher who used to smack metre rulers on the desk to shut people up.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DebatingGreg)
    Oh thanks. I know my teacher seems to like it as well, so it'll be interesting to see what he says
    It's interesting for its portrayal of Medea which is different from Apollonius' epic the Argonautica apparently. She's not the nicest of women, but she's probably one of the more unhinged shall we say. The Vellacott translation isn't accurate to the Greek, but accessible and enjoyable.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacCuishy)
    I had a Physics teacher who used to smack metre rulers on the desk to shut people up.
    I was concerned about half way through that sentence
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    My Greek teacher was fantastic and easily the best teacher I've ever had. In his early 60s, went through Cambridge then into the army, then got his MA and started teaching. His normal mode of communication was loud and his angry mode of communication was louder. He was permanently grumpy, but that was always just a show, he was probably actually the most understanding of any of the teachers I've had - he knew exactly what was going through your mind. Spoke fluent modern Greek, knew every area in Greece like the back of his hand - spent two weeks in a Greek prison once. Retired now, lives in Korinthos.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was concerned about half way through that sentence
    Haha well he has come close - especially with some of the people in my old class :rolleyes:
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    My Greek teacher was fantastic and easily the best teacher I've ever had. In his early 60s, went through Cambridge then into the army, then got his MA and started teaching. His normal mode of communication was loud and his angry mode of communication was louder. He was permanently grumpy, but that was always just a show, he was probably actually the most understanding of any of the teachers I've had - he knew exactly what was going through your mind. Spoke fluent modern Greek, knew every area in Greece like the back of his hand - spent two weeks in a Greek prison once. Retired now, lives in Korinthos.
    Classics teachers have great life experience in many cases - especially in your teacher's case. I have had one teacher who could reference any part of the Iliad or Odyssey in Greek which was either really clever or really sad.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha well he has come close - especially with some of the people in my old class :rolleyes:
    Ah yes I have been in classes like that.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    You learnt Greek?!?! :curious:
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes I have been in classes like that.
    I was always put next to the ginger :nooo:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that one of my profs is the guy that nailed Jesus up.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    You learnt Greek?!?! :curious:
    I was wondering that. We have a lot of closeted classicists in the House I see.

I was always put next to the ginger :nooo:
    Lucky you.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering that. We have a lot of closeted classicists in the House I see.
    That or he goes to a fumfty-million pounds per year public school - which I highly doubt seeming as he is Labour
Updated: October 8, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.