The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Government and Politics May/June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LETSJaM
I concur. The time limit is ridiculous. Even 1 1/2 hours would give us some time to think. :frown:

<3 x

I got extra time, and STILL I got timing wrong. An hour and 20 minutes just flew by, by the time I started Section B I had about 30 minutes left.
Reply 381
Original post by SweetChilliSauce
I got extra time, and STILL I got timing wrong. An hour and 20 minutes just flew by, by the time I started Section B I had about 30 minutes left.

I spent far to long on section A too. :redface:

<3 x
Reply 382
I did unit 2 yesterday, cabinet for section A and backbenchers for section B.

the time limit is ridiculous! i had extra time, and i don't know how i would have completed the exam if i hadn't!

i'm worried about what i put for the backbenchers Q..

i put: back bench rebellions
power of patronage
departmental select committees
legislative commitees

anyone write along these lines?
Original post by its_lils
I did unit 2 yesterday, cabinet for section A and backbenchers for section B.

the time limit is ridiculous! i had extra time, and i don't know how i would have completed the exam if i hadn't!

i'm worried about what i put for the backbenchers Q..

i put: back bench rebellions
power of patronage
departmental select committees
legislative commitees

anyone write along these lines?

i wrote that too, don't worry :smile:
Agree that the limit is ridiculous, could do so much better with even just another 10/20 minutes.
Reply 384
Original post by berryripple
i wrote that too, don't worry :smile:
Agree that the limit is ridiculous, could do so much better with even just another 10/20 minutes.

but i soon ran out of ideas..?what else did you write?

yeah, i got 25% extra time = 20 mins so that really helped!
the time limit makes it so much harder to get the depth that they want..:frown:
Original post by its_lils
but i soon ran out of ideas..?what else did you write?

yeah, i got 25% extra time = 20 mins so that really helped!
the time limit makes it so much harder to get the depth that they want..:frown:

I expanded loads on committees, then I wrote about rebellions, then I wrote about questions to ministers & adjournment debates. Then for against I did whips, patronage and lack of time/resources. That was all I had time for.
Wait, so I'm the only one who did the Constitution and the Judiciary? Oh God, I'm so screwed. XD
Reply 387
Original post by berryripple
I expanded loads on committees, then I wrote about rebellions, then I wrote about questions to ministers & adjournment debates. Then for against I did whips, patronage and lack of time/resources. That was all I had time for.

i see, yeah i kind of put that.
i only typed about one and a half pages though?so not enough, im screwed lol, gotta hope my unit 1 mark boosts it up haha
Wait, so I'm the only one who did the Constitution and the Judiciary? Oh God, I'm so screwed. XD

A couple of people I know did :tongue:
Reply 389

I did cabinet and judiciary and don't worry most of my class did the judiciary question. :tongue:
Original post by baggyyo
That was an awesome paper! Though when I looked at question3 I nearly fainted but then I saw question 4: It was great, I wrote about 7 and a bit pages for that question: talked about HRA, Judicial Review and Independence/ neutrality for they can protect and parliamentary sovereignty, still some executive influence and that judges cannot be proactive.

I chose qn1 though because of part c eventhough a and b of 2 were easier than 1.
Part a and b were awesome and for part c i talked about how they were very important but declined alongside increase in prime ministerial power but that they still have important functions: timetable, policy decisions etc.

How did everyone else find it?

Perfect same here, i also wrote about how some politicians in the cabinet like Theresa May was able to comment on a case relating to abu qatada (which i spelled wrong but my teacher said it would be alright) And Mosley how it breached his privacy and false detail etc
Original post by TopGearRules
Am I the only one who did the constitution question?? For the 25 marker I included -

House of Lords reform
Electoral reform (AV)
Introduction of mayors (recent referendums)

And some other reforms I cannot remember at the moment. I then explained the advantages+ disadvantages (basically the two point of view) of the proposals... was this the right way to answer this question or have I made a mess of it??

Section 2 (40 mark questions) I found horrible, I ended up doing the judiciary (did a little revision on the topic) and managed to develop it okay, however I wished I had revised for it more!! :frown: Was it okay that I mentioned the constitutional reform act of 2005, since I explained that the introduction of a supreme court led to less political interference since before the highest court in the land was in the H.O.Lords?

All in all, I just hope I get at least B, but im fearing for the worse!! :frown:

i done for 25 question, NHS reform how it got delayed/blocked by lords, the AV referendum, the commons reduced proposials by 10% and the lord reform, partly elected and that... it went decent for me i guess :frown:
Original post by TopGearRules
Section 2 (40 mark questions) I found horrible, I ended up doing the judiciary (did a little revision on the topic) and managed to develop it okay, however I wished I had revised for it more!! Was it okay that I mentioned the constitutional reform act of 2005, since I explained that the introduction of a supreme court led to less political interference (thus protecting the rights of individuals from the state) since before the highest court in the land was in the H.O.Lords? Or is the act seen as increasing the independence of the judiciary insted of protecting civil liberties?

i asked my teacher, he said it was good, how it got separated from House of lords which still have some if not rare political activity so the supreme court made it more independent with 12 most senior judges, which i argued by saying all rich middle class white English which could have been a danger to peoples individual rights and freedoms. And other things involving the things you said
Original post by LETSJaM
I did these questions as well. I included the same things for constitution, but I talked about scottish independence and how it had led on from devolution, which made it less controversial :redface:

Judiciary I'd revised for and could right about, there was almost too much to write about.
Yes you're right to put in about CRA '05, and supreme court. This leads to separation of power and means judges are less under the govt, ie more independent.

<3 x

Done the same,
Reply 394
Did anyone read the Annual Survey 2012? Is has a whole chapter about backbench MP's which helped me a lot :biggrin: The question on the coalitions reforms was an odd one, but I chose it over cabinet as I could get in loads of good examples. Talked about; Lords Reform, AV, Boundary Changes, Mayors and Recall of MP's. As with all my exams this year I was writing right until the very end and just managed to finish a pretty poor conclusion. Why so little time Edexcel?
Original post by baggyyo
I did cabinet and judiciary and don't worry most of my class did the judiciary question. :tongue:

Ah, that's a relief. :tongue: I was the only one in my year who took Constitution and Judiciary. :<
Reply 396
That paper was so difficult !
Original post by FullMetalX
Thank you! So if the eurozone crisis comes up, what would they ask?

My teacher said that democratic deficit may be linked to it or probably more likely being linked to integration with the potential of fiscal harmonisation and all.
Reply 398
Original post by Kardy
That paper was so difficult !

Well i would have thought you found judiciary easy? You had an essay plan for it ready, right?
Which qns did you do?
Reply 399
Original post by TOA7MURKLE
Perfect same here, i also wrote about how some politicians in the cabinet like Theresa May was able to comment on a case relating to abu qatada (which i spelled wrong but my teacher said it would be alright) And Mosley how it breached his privacy and false detail etc

Ohh for the judiciary question or the importance of cabinet cause the theresa may applies to both right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending